• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Vote NO on H.R. 2851! Protect Kratom!!

Chris402

Greenlighter
https://engage.drugpolicy.org/secur...e=1806twc3SITSAHouseTW&cid=70141000000k79IAAQ

They are trying to ban kratom! And other substances that can potentially help people! The link above can help protect kratom.

IT SENDS A MESSAGE TO A REPRESENTATIVE SAYING THIS:

As your constituent, I urge you to vote NO on H.R. 2851, The Stop Importation and Trafficking of Synthetic Analogues (SITSA) Act. This misguided piece of legislation would give Sessions? Justice Department broad new powers to ban synthetic analogue drugs, decide what the sentences should be, and take away the requirement for Congressional oversight that has been in place for 40 years.

This bill will do nothing to address the problem of overdoses related to synthetic opioids like fentanyl. It will just put even more lives in jeopardy and make the drug war even worse. Overdoses are preventable ? the only way to save lives is to stop relying on punitive policies and instead embrace proven health-centered solutions that work.

SITSA will worsen mass incarceration of drug offenders and expand the use of harsh maximum sentences for drug offenses. The bill creates new penalties for thousands of synthetic analogue drugs calling for maximum sentences of 10, 20 and 30 years or life imprisonment. The carve out for possession does not define quantities that would constitute possession and will not prevent many people who possess small quantities or sell drugs to support their own addiction from getting slammed by draconian new penalties in SITSA.

SITSA will punish people who lack criminal culpability and will disproportionately incarcerate low-level drug offenders who did not import or package the drugs, and often are unaware of the chemical composition of the drugs.

SITSA will give the Attorney General unchecked new power to incarcerate drug offenders. It gives the Attorney General new power to apply penalties to any synthetic drug without having to prove the drug is harmful. When new drugs are scheduled, more people are incarcerated under harsh federal sentencing laws.

SITSA overrides the existing process in place for more than 40 years that Congress created for scheduling drugs. Currently the Dept. of Justice must work in collaboration with the Dept. of Health and Human Services to decide whether a drug should be permanently scheduled. The current process requires the Attorney General to obtain sign off from drug experts at HHS as part of the permanent scheduling process. SITSA would take away this step that screens against unnecessary scheduling actions by allowing the Attorney General to proceed without screening from drug experts unless HHS proactively reviews a permanent drug scheduling proposal and rule against scheduling in writing.

In 2015, the House Judiciary Committee received a bill (H.R.3537/114th) containing a list of 200+ drug compounds that the Attorney General wanted added to Schedule I. When FDA and NIDA reviewed this list, only 21 compounds were known to pose a public health risk. Many of the listed compounds were essential tools in research. It is imperative that HHS can prevent unnecessary drug scheduling actions.

SITSA undermines congressional oversight of how drugs are scheduled nearly doubling the length of time that a drug can be temporarily scheduled without congressional or HHS oversight from a maximum of three years allowed now, to more than 5 years. HHS has no authority to screen against unnecessary temporary scheduling actions, exposing more people to incarceration and hindering scientific research at least 5 years.

And SITSA is unnecessary because the Attorney General can already ban synthetic analogue drugs. This was demonstrated earlier this year when the Attorney General used powers already granted by Congress to place illicit fentanyl analogues not already regulated by the Controlled Substances Act into Schedule I for 3 years, allowing time to pursue permanent scheduling through rulemaking. At a congressional hearing last month, Acting Administrator Patterson indicated that this mass scheduling action addressed concern that prosecutors can?t convict people for trafficking synthetic drugs.

SITSA could have devastating impacts on scientific research. Many synthetic analogue drugs share chemical properties with drugs that have known therapeutic uses such as opioids. Under SITSA, once a drug has been added to Schedule A, many of the same hurdles that apply to conducting research with Schedule I drugs will apply to substances added to the proposed Schedule A. These burdens will be costly and time-consuming to the research and host institution(s) and will have a chilling effect on promising research towards the development of opioid addiction therapies and safer medications to treat pain that are desperately needed to help end the ongoing opioid overdose crisis. While SITSA provides some relief for researchers who already have a Schedule I or II registration to proceed with Schedule A research, SITSA does not provide accommodations necessary to ensure researchers can obtain drug samples for research. Commercial manufacturers are not likely to produce Schedule A drugs. Provisions in SITSA intended to ease registration requirements will help little when researchers access the drug material they need to study therapeutic potential.

For these reasons, I urge you to vote NO on H.R. 2851, The Stop Importation and Trafficking of Synthetic Analogues (SITSA) Act. Instead of adopting these punitive policies, it?s time for Congress to save lives by adopting effective health-based solutions. I hope you will prioritize scaling up access to the overdose-reversal drug naloxone and medication-assisted treatment, like methadone and buprenorphine, and resist efforts to expand the use of mandatory minimum sentences and criminalization. We can?t arrest our way out of the overdose crisis. Overdose deaths are preventable and I urge you to do everything you can to help save lives.

Sorry, not going to sign this pointless petition.

The people say kratom is no worse than coffee, tea, alcohol in moderation, or cannabis/hash are absolutely hilarious. Talk about complete denial. I am certainly for some quality-control regulation, because currently there is absolutely none. Honestly, who knows what kind of shit some vendors add to their Kratom products, or what their quality control standards are, which are most likely extremely low as these are 3rd-4th world countries that literally are shitholes that most people who are from them either leave when and if they can, or would love to leave as there's that much poverty and a low standard of living like Thailand, and other Southeast Asian countries. It's the wild wild west right now, with Kratom, and the deceptive marketing and ignorant misinformation that is so common over the net about Kratom is making things a lot worse. Also the short and long term effects of Kratom and dangerous interactions with other drugs and Kratom, and LD50 are unknown, and people have died from Kratom.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5810870/

It's one thing to say it should be regulated for impurities, which I agree with, but we don't know if the relatively few people who have died with Kratom in their system didn't have prior conditions, and if it has killed a few people it still kills far fewer people per year than Tylenol, alcohol or cigarettes. I can't get on board with banning it, nor can I get on board with any of our current drug laws, and there's no question that OVERALL alcohol and tobacco use are more harmful and have led to more deaths. We all know drugs can be harmful, but I fully believe that any and all drugs should be legal for someone over the age of 18 to use in the privacy of their own home if they aren't driving.

We don't need to be protected by the government for choices we make about our own bodies.

If someone wants rehab I fully support their choice, and if they don't, I fully support that, but the idea of imprisoning people for a choice they make about their own bodies needs to end.

It's draconian.

Even in the absolute worst case scenario we could make mandatory rehab for people addicted to seriously dangerous drugs (which Kratom isn't), and while I do not at all agree with that idea either, it's FAR better than prison. No one, IMO, should ever be imprisoned for being caught in possession of any drug, when not driving, and over the age of 21, simply because they happened to have been using it recreationally. Drug use is a health issue, both physical and mental, not a legal one.

Last edited:
Kratom is a matter of proper use and proper education. i have had stupid weak kratom and decent kratom. Banning this substance is not right.

What do people not understand about keeping any natural medicine at arms length?

We need to educate the public a bit more. At least cannabis is becoming legalized.

How about we teach people how to vote. That sounds like a major HR thread.

Last edited:
Priest, you're entitled to your opinion, but Kratom helps millions of people. Its such a shame you wouldnt want to help keep it legal so people can find relief with it. Which this entire website is about. HARM REDUCTION (Ie. getting off of heroin to a safer product like kratom). People get off opiates all the time with this product (myself included, it saved my life), whether is regulated well or not, IT STILL HELPS.

You stated people have died from Kratom. Yes, im sure thats true. But people have died from excessive water intake. Does that make water bad? Nope. You can die from pretty much anything.

Sorry you have that type of mentality.

I mean why jump from regulation to banning and scheduling something?

Don't all sorts of foods and supplements need FDA approval?

Great, we all want safer products, so let the FDA be reasonable about it, make sure the Kratom isn't tainted and is what it's claimed to be, and let that be the end of it.

Somehow I am massively confused by the jump from FDA regulation to recommendation of Schedule One banning.

It's all got to do with a higher agenda.

I did it! and Mycophile, of course it has to do with a higher agenda. They are trying to massively control prescription opiates..They are trying to ban kratom. All of this will push people back to heroin or street drugs. Wanna know why? The CIA is exporting Heroin out of Afghanistan and all of these prescription opiates and kratom are cutting into their profits. They have to ban everything thats any sort of competition. They couldnt care less about peoples lives. Its all about $$$$$

I used prescription opiates/heroin because of 4 herniated cervical discs and sacroilitis in both of my SI joints. Using Kratom saved me from using them and helps with my pain, it also helped me with my quality of life. Im actually happy again, im not a zombie anymore and actually smiling for a change, im going out and doing things.. instead of just sitting at home. Some people dont use them to get high or because they are addicted. You have such a negative attitude, why even be here?

Because I UA'd the post you quoted, because it isn't appropriate.

I mean why jump from regulation to banning and scheduling something?

Don't all sorts of foods and supplements need FDA approval?

Great, we all want safer products, so let the FDA be reasonable about it, make sure the Kratom isn't tainted and is what it's claimed to be, and let that be the end of it.

Somehow I am massively confused by the jump from FDA regulation to recommendation of Schedule One banning.

It's all got to do with a higher agenda.

Fu*k schedule 1.

Funny OT story. Nutrasweet is crap. The FDA wanted to ban it, because it caused BAD side effects. As soon as Ronald R became pres, in the 80's, the First thing he did was take the power away from the FDA, whos job it is/was to stop garbage like bad artificial sweetner from hurting people. I believe it was his first act as pres.

That is my FDA comment.

Last edited:
Fu*k schedule 1.

Funny OT story. Nutrasweet is crap. The FDA wanted to ban in, because it caused BAD side effects. As soon as Ronald R became pres, in the 80's, the First thing he did was take the power away from the FDA to stop garbage like artificial sweetner from hurting people. I believe it was his first act as pres.

That is my FDA comment.

Aspartame doesn't cause "bad side-effects".

The original studies done before approval were somewhat sloppy, but this stuff has been on the market for almost half a century; not just in the US, but pretty much all over the world, including nations that have significantly more stringent regulations on food safety.
If you could clearly prove that aspartame was unsafe, don't you think the makers of saccharin, sucralose, acesulfam K et al. would have done so already in order to eliminate their biggest competitor?

Aspartame doesn't cause "bad side-effects".

The original studies done before approval were somewhat sloppy, but this stuff has been on the market for almost half a century; not just in the US, but pretty much all over the world, including nations that have significantly more stringent regulations on food safety.
If you could clearly prove that aspartame was unsafe, don't you think the makers of saccharin, sucralose, acesulfam K et al. would have done so already in order to eliminate their biggest competitor?

i will do some research to clarify the point I was trying to make. Basically, the shit was causing tumors and messed up crap in lab animals. Bad stuff.
i was watching the documentary in the ER. The FDA, pre Ron could say FU, this is poison, not approved. As soon as guy was elected, he took away that power from the FDA. it was said it was the first thing he did in office. There was a lot of money and time invested in the garbage. That is a Readers Digest version. However, it was said that the FDA couldn't stop production, because the gipper took the FDA power away, in that instance.

i admit I may not know the entire story, but I heard the key words. We both know there is pleanty of garbage out there. that struck a nerve with me.

i'll look it up and see what I can dig up.

hmmm.. first approved by the FDA in 1981. interesting.

i'll pick up on this later, but there is plenty of controversy surrounding it. For now, thats all I have. The timing was great.

here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy.

It was shady to say the least.

might be biased, but check this out from Rolling Stone.
Under the slogan "regulatory reform," Reaganism gutted the government's enforcement powers against predatory private interests that do damage to health, safety and the environment. Since Reagan took office, the law-enforcement actions taken by the Food and Drug Administration have dropped by sixty-five percent. The FDA, once regarded as one of the toughest regulatory agencies, has simply stopped policing faulty drugs, adulterated foods and false labeling with its old vigor.
what-reagan-has-done-to-america-/Rolling Stone

the link isnt working on my computer. i'll fix it later. It's in the article, but it is stated that since Regan took office, the FDA law inforcement actions dropped by 65%.

I'll edit more later. Those are big numbers to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Meurica, if something is banned on a federal level, can't there be a state law, that repeals the ban ?

You mean like the 10th amendment? It took from 96' till' 2010 to get cannabis out of the streets and into jars on shelves of dispensaries in a lot of states and still requires a doctors recommendation in many of those. I don't see the same pull for Kratom as cannabis because the familiarity isn't there with most voters. Even then it's not legal as far as the gov's concerned, they can still come down on you regardless of what the states say, if their so inclined.

This I get. Quality control. ignorant people shouldnt eat a QP a week then wonder why it's bad. To whomever, go to Star*ucks and drink 30 cups of large coffee. Same principle. Then goto the ER and say you have been made sick. Wow your ignorant blood pressure is through the roof. Must be bad.
it's not your fault. It's that darn coffee. The world already is strung out on that stuff.

I used prescription opiates/heroin because of 4 herniated cervical discs and sacroilitis in both of my SI joints. Using Kratom saved me from using them and helps with my pain, it also helped me with my quality of life. Im actually happy again, im not a zombie anymore and actually smiling for a change, im going out and doing things.. instead of just sitting at home. Some people dont use them to get high or because they are addicted. You have such a negative attitude, why even be here?

Nice point. Now the only way that has a chance of flying is getting a petition, signatures and a vote. I agree with you. Cannabis is way closer to legal then 20 years ago. People let the right people know. They did something about it. Work in progress, but on the right track. I will stop here. Sch 1 is still bull shit.

How about place the chumps that push garbage in jail.

Last edited:
Sorry, not going to sign this pointless petition.

The people say kratom is no worse than coffee, tea, alcohol in moderation, or cannabis/hash

I really struggle to see how you jump from that statement to concluding kratom should be banned, and that innocent people should spend their life in jail for possessing it... because, you know thats what will happen.

In Meurica, if something is banned on a federal level, can't there be a state law, that repeals the ban ?

No, federal law supercedes state law. Which is why even with states legalizing cannabis, people could still be charged under federal law. Just because they're not doing it doesn't mean they can't.