• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Does this count as a "relapse"?

Chris42393

Bluelighter
Hey everyone got a quick question. Ive been off opiates/H for over a week now. I ended up using some heroin two days ago because i had neck surgery and was in some extreme pain and i used it because of that.. I haven't used since and have no reason to start using again. Does that technically count as a relapse? I was in extreme pain.. :/

Well it depends how you define relapse. I wouldn't personally count that as a relapse as for example I quitted opiates somewhat five months ago but I was prescribed small amount of codeine/APAP for throat pain so technically it was a relapse but as I didn't abuse them I don't count it as relapse.

Also relapses do happen to nearly 99,9% of people who stop and it shouldn't be a big deal if you know how to do damage control and stop using shortly.

I mean relapses and succesfull prevention of relapse to be blown into addiction again should be seen as a normal path to recovery and it doesn't for example mean that you have failed but instead that you need more support.

Also this post would be more suitable in Sober Living or TDS.

No, because a doctor should've given you opioids after spinal surgery. But they can't anymore because somehow that's supposed to make ppl stop using heroin....which made you use heroin.

They seem to have some very misguided logic about how to curb heroin abuse.

Your heroin use was medically necessary not a a relapse

A week isn't that long to be off it though so be careful as dependence will develop again super quickly

Last edited:
suggestions about relapse

Hey everyone got a quick question. Ive been off opiates/H for over a week now. I ended up using some heroin two days ago because i had neck surgery and was in some extreme pain and i used it because of that.. I haven't used since and have no reason to start using again. Does that technically count as a relapse? I was in extreme pain.. :/

Yeah it is a relapse. You must be careful, and you were only off of opiates/dope for just a week and then you went back to using with the excuse that you needed it for surgery instead of just healing and taking what a doctor or hospital gives you, you went out and got dope or used some dope you had leftover. This is also extremely dangerous as a lot of heroin is cut with fentanyl now and there's no way of telling if yours is cut or not until it is too late and you overdose. Stay safe, and good luck getting off opiates and staying sober.

Chris -

In my experience, a relapse is what you make it. I tend to “relapse” or use opiates based on pain as well, however, it’s what I make of it that dictates if I keep using. For example, the first time I was off opiates and used for pain, I got caught up in the relapse aspect and then got a “fuck it, I already screwed up, what’s one more going to do?” attitude - which led to a lot more use than was necessary or healthy.

Ive heard people on SL call using while clean a “lapse” instead of a “relapse” and I’ve always liked that. It’s only a relapse if you let it be, at least that’s how it works for me.

Keep up up the great work!

- VE

thx for the move Jekyl :)

If you were me, I'd say no. Why?

Seven days is hardly enough time to stabilize after getting away from an opioid habit. Generally speaking relapse happens after 90 days or more abstinence. Less than that and it's probably better to think of it as the original habit rearing it's head. If the most recent use was just a one off and you've had another seven days of not using, probably better to consider it a lapse.

Most people I'd seriously listen to tend to consider a relapse as the original symptoms of a use disorder reemerging in full or near full (i.e. reemergence of the same pattern of harmful drug use, in association with a reemergence the all the harmful behaviors associated with your prior habit).

That all said, it's more important you decide for yourself. What does a relapse mean to you? It's more important you make up your mind for yourself than just believe whatever info someone else vomits upon your spirit.

I do hope you're able to make up your mind in a way that you find empowers you to move ahead in healthy directions instead of getting bogged down in hating yourself for making what is a very natural, common and normal mistake for ANYONE in early recovery <3

Would you say your earlier symptoms have reemerged? Or have they begun to reemerge, leaving you with some time to prevent it from turning into a full blown relapse?

Well it depends how you define relapse. I wouldn't personally count that as a relapse as for example I quitted opiates somewhat five months ago but I was prescribed small amount of codeine/APAP for throat pain so technically it was a relapse but as I didn't abuse them I don't count it as relapse.

Also relapses do happen to nearly 99,9% of people who stop and it shouldn't be a big deal if you know how to do damage control and stop using shortly.

I mean relapses and succesfull prevention of relapse to be blown into addiction again should be seen as a normal path to recovery and it doesn't for example mean that you have failed but instead that you need more support.

Also this post would be more suitable in Sober Living or TDS.

This :)

Last edited by a moderator: