Study Human chorionic gonadotropin up-regulates insulin-like growth factor-I receptor gene

Genetic Freak

Moderator: SIED
Staff member
Interesting paper I happened upon recently:

Human chorionic gonadotropin up-regulates insulin-like growth factor-I receptor gene expression of Leydig cells.

Nagpal ML1, Wang D, Calkins JH, Chang WW, Lin T.

Author information

Abstract

The effects of hCG, 8-bromo-cAMP, 4 beta-phorbol 12 beta-myristate 13 alpha-acetate, and forskolin on insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) receptor gene expression of Leydig cells were studied. The treatment of purified Leydig cells with hCG caused a dose-dependent increase in [125I]IGF-I binding to Leydig cells without changes in binding affinity, indicating that the increased binding was due to increased receptor numbers and not to increased affinity. The minimal time required for hCG to induce IGF-I binding was 6 h, and it had reached a plateau at 16 h. 8-Bromo-cAMP (1 mM) increased IGF-I binding about 2-fold, and forskolin (10 microM) increased binding about 51%. Using the ribonuclease protection assay, we found that hCG and 8-bromo-cAMP could increase IGF-I receptor mRNA expression as early as 2 h before the increase in IGF-I binding. The induction by hCG was over 3.5-fold at 4 h and decreased to about 2-fold at 6 h. 4 beta-Phorbol 12 beta-myristate 13 alpha-acetate had a very small effect on IGF-I receptor mRNA levels (1.5-fold increase at 2 h and no changes at 4 and 6 h). In conclusion, IGF-I receptors can be up-regulated by hCG, 8-bromo-cAMP, and forskolin. The up-regulation of IGF-I receptor number is associated with transient increases in IGF-I receptor mRNA levels. This could be a mechanism by which hCG and IGF-I interact to enhance Leydig cell steroidogenesis.
PMID: 1659515 DOI: 10.1210/endo-129-6-2820