• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What food should be considered in a healthy diet and why?

bluerobot

Bluelighter
What food should be considered in a healthy diet and why? Not necessarily to lose weight but to just be healthier and prevent diseases like cardiovascular disease, cancer, respiratory disease, diabetes, etc.
Also what are good foods that promote healthy skin?

Home cooked meals, whole ingredients and not processed or pre-packaged food. That means no food that was raised with toxic chemicals. A diet as diverse as possible to capture all the nutrients, lots of different coloured foods.

To decrease the risk of those diseases, you have to increase the ratio of healthy fats, and decrease sugar, including stuff that breaks down into sugar like too much dairy. On the whole, just eat a range of whole foods and you'll get everything you need.

I would think that first you should see a regular doctor and find out if you have any vitamin deficiencies or other medical problems that can be addressed by eating a special diet. Other than that basically what the other posters said: Whole Foods, not processed.

I would think that first you should see a regular doctor and find out if you have any vitamin deficiencies or other medical problems that can be addressed by eating a special diet. Other than that basically what the other posters said: Whole Foods, not processed.

Yea see the doctor and find out what you're not taking in from your current diet. A regular check up caught the fact that I lacked B12 in my diet, my body just doesn't take it in and I felt like total shit all of the time. A year of monthly B12 shots and a supplement everyday with breakfast sorted me right out.

For food I eat the diet my Grandparents ate while also being proactive about making sure the food I was buying wasn't laced with a bunch of sugar. I keep a small vegetable garden and various fruit trees in the yard. I opt for a piece of fruit instead of junk food for snacks. I eat a ton of meat and food generally considered bad like biscuits and gravy. The trick is I actually do the same workload that they did back in the day. A lot of the bad food isn't so bad for you if you actually make an effort to use it for fuel instead of sitting around. Most of the meals I eat are home cooked but rarely (once a week) I'll eat fast food or pizza.

It's an individual thing for sure. Get with your doctor and find out what you're lacking and adjust from there. The main thing is to avoid the junk food, soda, and the fad diets. I was addicted to soda to the point it was all I drank. I couldn't give it up totally so now I drink homemade sweet tea instead but I mostly drink water while working during the day. The tea is reserved for meals and a treat after work. Diabetes runs in my family so I just cut out corn syrup from my diet. If I can't find it with real sugar I just don't eat it. After cutting it out I've noticed I don't feel like shit nearly as often. Regular sugar doesn't do that to me.

I believe green and leafy veggies, at least 6 servings per day. fresh fruits, 3 servings per day. fish, 3 servings per day. whole wheat, 2 servings per day. healthy fats - a bit. stay away from sugar, as the say - it's cancer. (I preach but often fall off the wagon.)

Yea see the doctor and find out what you're not taking in from your current diet. A regular check up caught the fact that I lacked B12 in my diet, my body just doesn't take it in and I felt like total shit all of the time. A year of monthly B12 shots and a supplement everyday with breakfast sorted me right out.

For food I eat the diet my Grandparents ate while also being proactive about making sure the food I was buying wasn't laced with a bunch of sugar. I keep a small vegetable garden and various fruit trees in the yard. I opt for a piece of fruit instead of junk food for snacks. I eat a ton of meat and food generally considered bad like biscuits and gravy. The trick is I actually do the same workload that they did back in the day. A lot of the bad food isn't so bad for you if you actually make an effort to use it for fuel instead of sitting around. Most of the meals I eat are home cooked but rarely (once a week) I'll eat fast food or pizza.

It's an individual thing for sure. Get with your doctor and find out what you're lacking and adjust from there. The main thing is to avoid the junk food, soda, and the fad diets. I was addicted to soda to the point it was all I drank. I couldn't give it up totally so now I drink homemade sweet tea instead but I mostly drink water while working during the day. The tea is reserved for meals and a treat after work. Diabetes runs in my family so I just cut out corn syrup from my diet. If I can't find it with real sugar I just don't eat it. After cutting it out I've noticed I don't feel like shit nearly as often. Regular sugar doesn't do that to me.

He hit it on the nail. If you are truly worried about your nutritional intake and want to take it on at full force, one of the best things to do is go to your doctor and reqest a test that measure micronutritents and trace minerals. From my memory though you generally have to give yourself a 24 hour fast to ensure the results are accurate as eating at random intervals throughout the day could easily skew the test results. These rules also apply to lipid measurements if I'm not mistaken.

For some nutrients you also need to be adamant about what time you consume them as quite a few micronutrients and trace elements utilize the same transport. This can lead to an interaction that may cause a loss in bioavailability.

Here is a little example.... Zinc, copper, and iron all interact with each other in unique ways. Copper is required for the transportation of iron between tissues, yet once the body has been introduced to an adequate amount of zinc the body's own levels regarding copper and iron begin to lower. This is due in part to the fact that these three trace minerals all compete for the same transporter molecule (divalent metal transporter 1).[1]

Skin health can come down to how you treat yourself in general. Do you use lotion and does it contain hyaluronic acid? Sunscreen can also play a major roll in how your skin takes on the sands of time. I started using sunscreen a couple years ago and slowly over the years noticed the overall tone to my skin has become more even. Also, smoking cigarettes no matter how much you try to practice harm reduction will eventually make your skin resemble leather that wasn't taken care of IMO

If you are just starting to begin your journey of healthy eating then don't other think it. Take gradual steps and slowly phase out poor food choices such as heavily processed meals, junk food that you eat on the go, carbonated drinks with high sugar content etc. Try a new fruit or vegetable every week and see if you like it! Some things are an acquired taste. I just found out I love prunes and they've been a god send for my overall intestinal well being.

There is no healthy diet that can apply for everyone, your body know what good for you if you dare/be able to listen, however any processed food will be mostly empty in vital energy, so all that is unprocessed and the more connected to earth have the most energy in it, so do nourrish you, processed food will offcourse bring a bit of energy but the ratio between 'digestion/energy' is mostly more damaging that nourrishing