• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

June 13 report on Canadian legalization (kinda like Monty Python - detailed)

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
Ok, so in order to get Cannabis legal, it has to

a) pass the House of Commons (it has). These guys are elected

b) pass the Senate after having been handed the bill by the house. These guys are appointed and can serve for life (I think, don't really know). The Senate passed the legalization bill but proposed a number of amendments. The amended bill gets passed back to the House of Commons. This happened today.

c) The House of Commons votes on the amended bill (i.e. whether to accept or reject the amendments the Senate has proposed. The Liberals, the party that wrote the legislation and campaigned on legalization will vote asap, by tonight or tomorrow. The House of Commons is rejecting a Senate amendment that would allow the provinces/territories to ban home cultivation. In other words, the elected federal government is sticking with their original intent to allow cross country personal cultivation. I think most of the proposed amendments were technical in nature and most have already been accepted by our Prime Minister/Health Minister/Justice Minister (all Liberal, all elected). The Liberals (House of Commons) are going to maintain that promotional swag is constitutional and therefore legal (opposed to the Senate).

d) The Senate will probably have a revised bill with the home cultivation/swag as the most contentious issues remaining. The legislating government is digging in on this one because that was one of their big campaign issues.

If the Senate relents, the bill passes and will then be given Royal Assent (what in the fucking fuck is this?) and becomes law Sunday.

I'm really impressed with Edmonton City council's decision to allow public consumption of Marijuana anywhere that Cigarette smoking is permitted. Waiting for a bus and want to blaze? That's ok (if you stand 10 feet away from the bus stop) and other etc. cigarette restrictions. I'm also really impressed that there will be no limit on the amount of Marijuana that you can possess in private (whatever the legal opposite of public is). Quebec excepted at a limit of 150 grams. Yup, legal to keep a couple of pounds at home. Legal to share up to one ounce w/another adult. Parents can share/use with their children in the same way that alcohol can be (might be some provincial restrictions on this).

Egsozet; if the House rejects or votes on an amended bill does this mean the House has lost the confidence of its members, the government falls and an immediate election is triggered?

Tom

Salutations Thomas Davie,

Egsozet; if the House rejects or votes on an amended bill does this mean the House has lost the confidence of its members, the government falls and an immediate election is triggered?

You're so kind to have a thought for me Tom, but the fact is i've just given up all hopes for a decent outcome, free of further vilification. The predatory abuse will never stop.

CBD cannabis genetics could have been made as legal as letuce half a year ago (after the UN's and WHO joint declaration) and yet mass media ain't putting this in perspective so far. Meanwhile all the artificial fuss over a date limit (or federal vs provincial "competences") can go on, pretending our "elite" politicans are fighting each others when they're actually all aiming in a same direction:

E. G. More VILIFICATION, what else?...​

46 samples of it coming directly from a senate where at least 2 Quebekers have warned that "it" would KILL... With more non-sensical feedback from Quebec's parliament, where Liberals felt they had to shield our real Health Minister (mister Barette) as a result of him being a doctor and hence also member of the college des medecins. Which are our most vicious ennemies.

eyesclosed.gif

Enjoy the day if you feel celebrating, Justin said it right from the begining: it's going to be about "incidental" possession - IMO with plenty aboundance in select places like Toronto and Vancouver, but the rest of us can begin to seek relatively safe alternatives much like LSD or return to total abstaining and face the consdequences i guess!...

Good day, have fun!!
smile.gif

And the House of Commons, as expected passed the legislation, while rejecting allowing provinces/territories the right to prohibit personal cultivation. The House voted today (June 18), so it's back to the Senate.

And in the meantime, people can still get a criminal record for a joint and the cops can still hassle you.

As this is Canada, it gets more Monty-Pythonish -------- the House of Commons adjourns for summer recess on June 22 :) or :(

Tom

The bill (C-45) is currently being debated in the Senate live, as I type this. An amendment to force the bill to allow provinces/territories to ban home cultivation was defeated about 30 minutes ago and debate on the remainder of C-45 continues; either until it passes or adjournment at midnight.

Only in Canada.

I'll celebrate success by getting blazed and commiserate failure by the same. Sigh, Canadian politics sucks.

Tom