• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia

mal3volent

Bluelight Crew
So who is getting into this , this year?

I watch every time just for the spectacle of it, but I'm hoping some of you are super interested and can tell me which matches to look for? Whose the favorite, the dark horse, etc?

I'll be watching. It's the only time I watch soccer but the one 4 years ago was super entertaining. I just wish the US had made it

united2026_news_mobile.jpg

MOSCOW — A combined bid from the United States, Mexico and Canada won the hosting rights for soccer’s 2026 World Cup on Wednesday, bringing the tournament to North America for the first time since the 1994 event on a pledge of record crowds, record revenues and, perhaps crucially, a record $11 billion in profits for FIFA, world soccer’s governing body.

The North American bid defeated its only challenger, Morocco, by a vote of 134-65.

“Thank you for the incredible privilege,” U.S. Soccer President Carlos Cordeiro told the FIFA members in a short speech after the vote, adding, “Football today is the only victor.”

It will be the first time the World Cup is hosted by three countries, but a vast majority of the tournament will be on United States soil. Of the 80 matches, 10 will be held in Canada, 10 in Mexico and 60 in the United States — including the final, at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey.

The last time the men’s World Cup was in North America was when the United States hosted in 1994. It was held in Mexico in 1970 and 1986, and Canada has never hosted.

Wednesday’s vote was the first in which each FIFA member association was given a say on where the World Cup would be held, and the North Americans rode to victory on a wave of support from the Americas, Europe and Asia, plus a few votes poached from Africa.

Only two years later, Los Angeles will host the Games of the XXXIV Summer Olympiad.

LA-2028-Olympics.jpg

These two events back to back will be a huge undertaking. I hope we have a government by then that will embrace it and see it as the honor that it is.

Last edited:
So who is getting into this , this year?

I watch every time just for the spectacle of it, but I'm hoping some of you are super interested and can tell me which matches to look for? Whose the favorite, the dark horse, etc?

Same. I just watch for the spectacle.

I love the atmosphere and tension. I watched the 2014 series while I was spending some time in Budapest which was just fantastic because the following over in Europe is enormous, every single screen has the matches on and they will setup huge projector screens with open-air bars in the parks and around the city. We would bar-hop during games and you could literally watch the game as you were walking between venues because there was always a screen somewhere showing it.

I'm heading back for a short trip this year, so i'll be watching it again as I move around.

I remember the slaughter between Germany and Brazil last series.. you'd go order a beer, come back and Germany had two more goals. I think it ended up as 7-1? It was astonishing.

Starts today. Russia unsuprisingly won it's opening match against the little sister of the poor

no idea for predictions, france maybe?

germany was looking good, just couldnt score

^ yep that match yesterday was fun but a real slow burn. I've no prediction but would love to hear one from someone who knows soccer well.

Panama is hanging tough against Belgium at halftime.

Panama is hanging tough against Belgium at halftime.

Kinda fell apart there at the end I guess.

ive only got to watch a couple of matches all the way through. Highlights are a ton of help unti it gets narrowed down a little. Colombia and Japan tied as of now. Russia and Egypt later.

hearing Egypt may upset. 2pm Eastern.

Last edited:
Yeah as soon as a hit post Belgium started scoring lol

Argentina looked like a deer in headlights after the first goal. Then Croatia capitalized on that. Pretty crazy!

Penalty kicks determined the Russia Spain match today. Very exciting to watch.

brazil Mexico tomorrow

Just got back from watching the Brazil/Mexico match at a bar here in Tallinn.

I thought for sure it was going to be 1-0 or 1-1, wasn't expecting the second goal from Brazil at the 88th minute. There was a crowd of Brazilians inside wearing jerseys who were pretty much celebrating at that point lol.

Been a fantastic tournament thus far. One of the best.

Quarter finals going to be extremely exciting with Belgium vs Brazil being the pick, I reckon.

^^
Agreed
I watched a game live when it was here in SA in 2010, cant beat the vibe it was amazing!

i put $20 on belgium at 7/1 to win a couple of days ago. then japan went up 2-0 and i thought it was all over. then belgium woke up. what a comeback! the best half of football i've seen so far :)

let's go colombia!

alasdair

Lose any $ on Colombia, ali? That was a great match. Very dramatic.

What comes after penalty kicks if they're tied at the end? Sudden death penalty kicks, no? Seems like that happened once last World Cup iirc.

sudden death after 5 each.

i only bet on belgium to win it all.

alasdair

Ok, I just thought maybe you did since you were rooting for Colombia. Are you part Colombian? =D