• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

My dabs changed colors

Lostntired

Bluelighter
I bought some dabs from a friend I go through all the time. I got a gram and it was dark brown and very sticky (pretty typical). 1 week later I go to do a dab and it turned a light cream color and has a powdery consistency. Anyone know why this would happen?

It sounds like it "buddered" up. There's a few different theories about what exactly causes it, but the one that seems most accepted and accurate is that it's the most stable thermodynamic state.

Here's a link explaining it and cannabis psuedopolymorphism: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=314467

Edit: Based on the graphic you would have bought it as the 2nd (transition) state and it naturally stabilized to the 3rd (budder) state

Another theory I have heard, but am pretty sure it's been debunked, is that the terpenes in the oil bond with hydrogen in the air causing the "auto-budder"

Just found this image and wanted to add it. Mark Scialdone is a chemist who does a lot of really cool work, last I saw he was working with hydrogenated cannabis extracts.
NzuWNrV.jpg