Using testosterone gel for a low level lifestyle boost

peterx000

Greenlighter
Hi, my first post. Great to be here (what an excellent resource), go easy on me...!

I want to use testosterone gel just to give me a bit of an energy and mood boost. Particularity after weekends (when I drink about 40 units of alcohol, and hence I think I am in testosterone-deficit at the start of the week). e.g. take a 40 mg dose each on Sat, Sunday and Monday to 'top me up'.

As far as I'm aware my t-levels are otherwise normal (I haven't done any blood tests).

I started 10 days ago (so have done it after two weekends) and I seem to have noticed a positive difference (could just be psychosomatic though). More energy, mentally sharper, better mood. Great! :)

However, I'm obviously concerned about potential side-effects. Is the sort of level I'm doing much of a risk? How much? Particularly worrying is the risk of messing up my own natural t-production.

Any thoughts or hard science gratefully received.

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly:
You want to use a drug to counter the after effects of another drug? And your natural testosterone levels are fine?

I'm going to start by asking how old you are?

But yeah this is definitely not smart lol. How about don't drink so much and save your endocrine system the havoc you're going to put it through for a goal that's really not there for the right reasons.

Using testosterone will set you up to be dependent on it at some point in life sooner or later.

I'm 45. I imagine my natural testosterone levels are OK for my age - just going through the slow natural decline. I've felt I have less 'oomph' over the last year, I'm not doing so well at work, feel less energetic, lower libido.

I wondered if 'small' doses of T gel would give me a boost (back to more youthful levels), particularly at the start of the week when I'm a bit jaded after the weekend.
After trying it out over the past week or so I've felt really good.

But do you think even small doses (smaller than I describe above) would almost certainly make me dependent in later life? Say, even 20 mg once a week?

What about an occasional (less than monthly) dose when I'm in particular 'need' of a boost - is that still a significant risk?

Youre either on or off. Either commit to test for life or don't mess around with it.

^That. You need to research the endocrine system more.

Also, if you continue using 20mg per week it will probably shut your natural production down to less than it already is but with not enough androgel to replace the difference and you'll be in an even worse spot

I would get your levels tested for, as there are so many different variables when it comes to quality of life that it's hard to really feel your natural level unless you're a guy with a history of synthetic hormone swings correlated with test results. A guy who has always been in the 800 range only knows that, and a guy who has always been around 300 only knows that.

I think that the way you want to use it as a Monday morning crutch is setting you up to relating to it like it is a "drug." People do similar things with benzos for hangovers. But if you respect testosterone and commit to using it with maturity, it absolutely can work as a psych med and feel like a fountain of youth.

Your way, it's kind of a lose-lose. You use it and it doesn't help, then you're sacrificing your hormones for nothing. You use it and it does help and suddenly you will be tempted to use it on more days of the week. So I'd just commit to using it on a way that feels stable. Most guys who use testosterone correctly are grateful for it. Most guys who use it incorrectly end up worse off after some time.

And alcohol was one of the best things I ever did. You don't realize how much of a poison and energy depletor it is until you've been off for some time. So I will give another vote to reducing/eliminating alcohol.

^That. You need to research the endocrine system more.

Also, if you continue using 20mg per week it will probably shut your natural production down to less than it already is but with not enough androgel to replace the difference and you'll be in an even worse spot

been there did that. upped my dose and am fine now, but i didn't research things enough and now I am on TRT for the duration.
Don't get me wrong, I am glad I made the choice, but I am almost 60, not 45.
However, ATT, i didn't know i was going down a one way street and am very glad i am comfortable with buying black market goods as i have no doc or script.
Make sure you are ready to commit.

Last edited: