• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Anyone into anything to do with the "occult"?

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
I don't consider myself a satanist but I find some of the writings intriguing. Especially chaos and anti-cosmic subjects. Also subjects like the concept of wyrd in norse mythology and the acausal. Anyone else into any of that?

Last edited:
I used to date a girl that was heavily into Laveyan Satanism, the way she described her beliefs was that they don't believe in a literal satan... it's more of the ideal that you rule your own destiny, and that you shouldn't blindly follow anything, you need to make your own informed choices.

She was an interesting girl.

I had the Satanic Bible when I was a teenager. I thought it was bs then and still do lol. Just a form of hedonism really.

Parts of it are interesting, and she didn't really take it as literal as alot of people do... she was a pretty cool girl, probably the sweetest young lady I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

Yeah from what I can remember there were a few ok points, but they were things I had already established on my own.

The MLO is pretty interesting...

The MLO consist of the unified belief in "Chaosophy". They believe that Chaos is an infinidimensional and pandimensional plane of possibilities, in contrast to cosmos which only has three spatial dimensions and one linear time dimension. They also believe that, in comparison with the linear time of cosmos, chaos can be described as timeless in the way that it is not contained nor limited by one-dimensional time, and formless, because of its ever-changing and infinite number of space dimensions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_the_Black_Light

Honestly though, anything that helps get those ideals out there to people is fine by me. Knowledge is power, and ideas are the fuel that runs the world.

Not being a sheep, free thinking, etc. Too many people just go with the crowd nowadays.

I used to date a girl that was heavily into Laveyan Satanism, the way she described her beliefs was that they don't believe in a literal satan... it's more of the ideal that you rule your own destiny, and that you shouldn't blindly follow anything, you need to make your own informed choices.

She was an interesting girl.

One of my students has a similar belief system. I think it's misleading to call it satanism, because it's not actually worshipping Satan, but instead it's about being skeptical and open-minded. If that's satanism, then I guess I'm a satanist as well 8)

It's very odd... they reject the existence of the supernatural and gods, yet there is talk of "magic" in the book... Satan to them is a symbol of individualism.

Yeah a lot if not most satanists don't literally worship the christian version of satan.

The Christian version of Satan is just a plagiarism, anyway. More so than that I feel the concept is quite allegorical to be honest. Lucifer is an angel before it is a devil. Which lays the foundations that any angel could be the devil and vice versa. The message is blindly follow or you too may become like Satan, do not oppose. Also, fun piece of info is that Lucifer might actually be female. Back when the Bible was plagiarized from older texts the pronoun He was used exclusively for way too many passages. The demonizing of women is pretty consistent throughout the Abrahamic religions...go back farther and you realize this is a complete 180 from the goddess worshiping cults that came before. Talk about battles of the sexes.

This is interesting I think...

Wyrd: The Role of Fate

Wyrd brought you to this page.

If you can accept this, you have gone a long way in understanding the concept of active Fate known to the Anglo-Saxons as Wyrd.

Wyrd is an Old English noun, a feminine one, from the verb weorthan ?to become?. It is related to the Old Saxon wurd, Old High German wurt, Old Norse ur?r. Wyrd is the ancestor of the more modern weird, which before it meant odd or unusual in the pejorative sense carried connotations of the supernatural, as in Shakespeare?s weird sisters, the trio of witches in MacBeth. The original Wyrd Sisters were of course, the three Norns, the Norse Goddesses of destiny.

Wyrd is Fate or Destiny, but not the ?inexorable fate? of the ancient Greeks. ?A happening, event, or occurrence?, found deeper in the Oxford English Dictionary listing is closer to the way our Anglo-Saxon and Norse forbears considered this term. In other words, Wyrd is not an end-point, but something continually happening around us at all times. One of the phrases used to describe this difficult term is ?that which happens?.

A Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary, compiled by J.R. Clark Hall (University of Toronto Press, fourth ed, 1996) lists variously ?fate, chance, fortune, destiny, the Fates, Providence, event, phenomenon, transaction, fact, condition? depending on the literary reference of the Old English work that mentions wyrd. Note ?transaction? and ?condition?, as they point to both the idea of active Fate and the environment in which life is played out.

Anglo-Saxon scholar Stephen Pollington describes it thus:

??It is worth stressing that the modern notion of linear time was still something of a scientific abstraction among even the Christian Anglo-Saxons, whose attitudes to life and death seem to have been governed by the world-view of their heathen forbears. They believed that at a given time some men?were doomed to die ? a reaction to the uncertainties of warfare and accidents not unlike that of many modern soldiers who have faith in the idea that ?if it?s got your name on it, there?s nothing you can do??

Tied in with this idea is the concept of wyrd ?the course of events? which is the underlying structure of time; it is this pattern which the Anglo-Saxons tried to read in the world about them? As the Beowulf poet observed:

Wyrd often saves an undoomed hero as long as his courage is good
(lines 572-3)

The implication is that while a man?s courage holds out, he has a hope of winning through since wyrd ?the way things happen? will often work to help such a man, as long as he is not doomed; conversely if a man is doomed then not even his courage can help him stand against ?the course of events?.?

The English Warrior from Earliest Times to 1066, pp166-167 Anglo-Saxon Books 1996

If time is not considered or experienced in a linear fashion but instead regarded as an interconnected series of events, each affecting the other, ?that which happens? or wyrd becomes not a destination but a sign post, or even a crossroads. Just as the traveller affects the outcome of his journey by the path he chooses, so do we play an active role in facing what wyrd metes out to us. Wyrd can be ?worked?. What you do as an individual can bend or change wyrd.

Consider Time not as a swiftly flowing river, constantly rushing us further away from our births to our deaths, but instead as a lake or pool of infinite size. A handful of pebbles tossed unto the surface of a still pool creates simultaneous, rippling impressions on the water that spreading, touch each other and overlap. Each pebble is distinct from the other. They may be larger or smaller and create a splash of greater or lesser size, but the path of each creates an impression on the watery impression of every other pebble. These pebbles represent wyrd, but ours are the hands that cast them.

Even when a man was doomed by wyrd, there were always consolations, even if it was simply accepting an unpleasant fate with courage. The last line of the poem known as Resignation, a meditation on the Day of Judgment, sums this up well:

It is still the best thing, since a man may not himself avert his destiny, that he should therefore suffer it well.
(translated by S.A.J. Bradley in Anglo-Saxon Poetry, David Campbell Publishers, 1982)

This is from The Exeter Book, written c 950 to 1000 CE, and though strongly Christian in nature reflects the importance of Fate in human striving.

The analogy of a spider web is usefully employed in considering wyrd. Each section of the web is a discreet part of the whole, yet the tiniest ensnared insect will set the entire web vibrating. Whether the spider wins her dinner depends on how skillfully she has woven her web, how quickly she reacts, and the chances of the captured insect to struggle free. The web is wyrd, but what the actors do upon it will decide the outcome.

The World Wide Web is another interwoven network, and a well named one. It is truly a web of almost endlessly interconnecting nodules (of which this page is one) linked together by invisible strands of electronic connectivity. This page has existed, waiting for you. You arrived here to learn of Wyrd because of what you selected on your path to this knowledge.

Wyrd by? swy?ost
Wyrd is strongest

https://octavia.net/wyrd-the-role-of-fate/

I think I'd like to change this into anything to do with the "occult". Can't seem to be able to edit the title tho for some reason. Mods, help?

I am a Satanist. Never been interested in runes much but it's similar to the concept of atavistic resurgence.
Not sure if that is what you were looking for.

I'm looking for anyone who wants talk about the occult in general. ;) Would you like to share your views?

Satan isn't a deity, it's the tempting force (animal ego) within all of us that makes us want to do things that make us feel separate from God.

Nowhere in the Bible is Satan described as a Baphomet type character with fire and brimstone. The firey concept came from Dante's Inferno in the Middle Ages, which was a work of fiction... but because nobody was literate back then the story caught on and everyone started believing in Hell as some other fire dimension instead of being right here and now when you choose to indulge in the illusion of separateness.

I know a couple of Satanists and while their practices don't bother me I feel they are no less deluded than most Christians are. It's not a very high level religion.

I think I'd like to change this into anything to do with the "occult". Can't seem to be able to edit the title tho for some reason. Mods, help?

Changed the title for you, let me know if it doesn't work. :)