Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Looking For a Guide To Dutch Scene of EDM

MrRoot

Bluelight Crew
Hi,
I am going to the Amsterdam in this autumn with my fiancee and we are looking for someone to be a guide to EDM scene in there.

If you are willing to help us out then we would gladly take you to a restaurant or something like that.

Also if you want to be a Internet guide instead of meeting us IRL then that would be ok too.

Hopefully this doesn't look like that I am trying to source drugs here as this isn't the case and I wouldn't ask for that.

Please write in this thread if you live in the Netherlands and would want to help us (and future readers finding this thread via search) out.

Cheers!
Mr. and Ms. Root

Last edited by a moderator:
There always used to be a blinding Dutch electronic dance music scene. I DJ'ed in a disco bar on a campsite in the South of France for a year, and all the different nationalities all had their favourite genres; the French liked reggae, soul and 70s disco, the Germans were into rock and metal and the Belgians and Dutch were techno fans. Not all of them, of course -- I'm not racially stereotyping. And this was years ago, so maybe tastes have changed since then.

What they didn't use to have on the continent was decent baked beans; though I obtained plenty such and more goodies from departing British tourists who otherwise would only have had to carry them back home. At a pop festival in Belgium, I took pity on a pair of locals who were stranded and hungry and shared some Kwik Save No Frills 3p a can baked beans with them -- and they said they were les meilleurs haricots qu'ils ont go?t?s. Poor sods, if they weren't just being polite.

I'd be disappointed if there wasn't still a bit of a scene. Maybe a bit calmer now, not all squat parties and racing round trying to stay one step ahead of the authorities; but surely a few must have kept the faith, half-naked, all sweaty and grinning from ear to ear on a dance floor beneath the strobes as the bass bins bang out the beats and the DJ works it ..... No?

How long ago was it anyway? I wonder if any of them are still alive?

There is an amazing club scene in Holland that caters to many genres of dance music, I think LoginNotSeure is taking issue with the 'EDM' description, which while fair enough in its own context ('electronic dance music' perfectly defines everything from Drum and Bass to Techno and everything in between) but it appears that the acronym has been hijacked as a cover all term for the scene in America which is unfortunately associated with some extremely low quality up front rubbish of recent.

Just a small case of split hairs to be honest.

Surely 'EDM' is just a descriptive term covering a multitude of genres - as per 'rock and roll'...

Surely 'EDM' is just a descriptive term covering a multitude of genres - as per 'rock and roll'...

As an actual acronym it just is, but as has been hinted in the thread the term has been hijacked to describe a particular flavour of American garbage that, while undeniably electronic, can only be danced to by morons with no sense of vibe or soul and which otherwise does not fit into 'established' genres of intelligent dance music such as house, techno e.t.c.

Oh, good. Thought I was getting a bit I can remember when all this was fields, young man there. The speakers are all too small on these modern wireless thingies, and with downloaded music there's no LP sleeve or CD box to skin up on .....
As an actual acronym it just is, but as has been hinted in the thread the term has been hijacked to describe a particular flavour of American garbage that, while undeniably electronic, can only be danced to by morons with no sense of vibe or soul and which otherwise does not fit into 'established' genres of intelligent dance music such as house, techno e.t.c.
You mean similar to the way "R'n'B" -- which used to mean rhythm and blues, proper rhythm and blues, the foundation of rock and roll -- has been hijacked to mean what white people trying desperately not to sound racist call any kind of music by a black artist .....

Last edited:

Well, what else do you expect from people that have to preload and postload on multiple grams of 5-HT and magnesium supplements in order to enjoy a 'roll' every 6 months from 50mg MDMA? ;)

There always used to be a blinding Dutch electronic dance music scene. I DJ'ed in a disco bar on a campsite in the South of France for a year, and all the different nationalities all had their favourite genres; the French liked reggae, soul and 70s disco, the Germans were into rock and metal and the Belgians and Dutch were techno fans. Not all of them, of course -- I'm not racially stereotyping. And this was years ago, so maybe tastes have changed since then.

What they didn't use to have on the continent was decent baked beans; though I obtained plenty such and more goodies from departing British tourists who otherwise would only have had to carry them back home. At a pop festival in Belgium, I took pity on a pair of locals who were stranded and hungry and shared some Kwik Save No Frills 3p a can baked beans with them -- and they said they were les meilleurs haricots qu'ils ont go?t?s. Poor sods, if they weren't just being polite.

I'd be disappointed if there wasn't still a bit of a scene. Maybe a bit calmer now, not all squat parties and racing round trying to stay one step ahead of the authorities; but surely a few must have kept the faith, half-naked, all sweaty and grinning from ear to ear on a dance floor beneath the strobes as the bass bins bang out the beats and the DJ works it ..... No?

How long ago was it anyway? I wonder if any of them are still alive?
You surprise me here this is the first time I've noticed you mentioning this.
I've had you down as the closet nerd.
Living abroad enriches your perception of people substantially.

Edit: you might have mentioned it before thinking about it now

Last edited: