Bluelight

Thread: Never used antidepressants, need advice

1. Collapse Details
    Never used antidepressants, need advice 
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    I'm going through a period of severe anxiety and depression. I'm facing life and death illness, and for a long time I have been able to stay relatively calm and cope with it; but now that certain realities are here and not some unknown date in the future, I am having mental health challenges.

My doctor has recommended the lowest dose of citalopram (celexa) to help me chill out, but I don't know if it's going to be good for me or not and I don't want to mess myself up this late in the game.

Ideally I'd like a clean anxiety/depression med but I don't know what that'd look like. The doctor also discussed mirtazapine but I was concerned about morning grogginess.

Can anyone speak to either of these drugs and what I should look out for? Any alternatives for anxiety (especially acute attacks with lots of crying) that aren't so long-lasting?

2. Collapse Details

Prozac worked good for me for depression if you don't mind some sexual dysfunction (i.e. kind of crap orgasms). As far as anxiety I think xanax would be the go to for fast acting like in cases of panic attacks, but if it's something daily I'd suggest k-pin.

3. Collapse Details

Celexa worked on me. I also reccomend amiltryptaline. I never got any side-effects except complete sexual dysfunction from them.

I haven't tried mirtazapine, but it sounds related to amiltryptaline. with amil, i don't get morning grogginess. I actually feel awesome in the mornings when I'm taking the stuff, and it helps sleep.

My depression was only moderate at its worst. I don't have bad anxiety.

Most doctors will let you try a variety of medications. That's really the ticket. I've settled on simply amiltryptaline for my depression after trying prozac, celexa, wellbutrin, and venlafaxine.

4. Collapse Details

Your having severe anxiety and depression but are worried about getting drowsy? I have never been so drowsy as when i was too depressed to get out of bed. If you get drowsy and it doesnt ggo away you can stop it.

Imo using drugs for the acute effects is a bad idea. For example you could take xanax sure. But the difference is the goal should be to create long term stable results.

5. Collapse Details

Philosophy and Spirituality
    Thanks all!

6. Collapse Details

Did not like Celexa at all. Was on Lexapro before that. Say goodbye to any sex drive and be prepared for isolating yourself even more than you did previously to taking the Celexa. At least that's what it did to me. Also gave me extremely restless legs, dry throat, nausea, and brain jolts when I tapered myself off of it. I look at it like a temporary lobotomy personally. Talk to a therapist or psychiatrist to sort out inner turmoil, but don't take their drugs. We're lab rats. SSRIs don't do shit.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
    SSRIs don't do shit.
    That's not true. Whether you can tolerate the side effects or not is another question tho.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Foreigner View Post
    Thanks all!
    Howdy Foreigner

First let me apologize for being a bit flippant in a staff thread a couple months ago. What you're facing is nothing to make jokes about.

I'll add that an SSRI doesn't make a lot of sense, to me, given they have the lowest success rate of any class (countered with the lowest adverse events) and the amount of time required to have any effect at all, means you'd spend a month to feel relief when you'd feel better in hours with a different medication. It's just my experience, but I think SSRIs don't really treat anxiety so much as they dampen all emotions.

I don't think there's reason in this situation to avoid benzodiazepines. I think gabapentin is an excellent anxiolytic that you won't just suddenly fall asleep on.

It's also easier on your GI tract. People forget that SSRIs have strong effects on gut motility, really getting you moving when you first start them (and constipated when you stop).

9. Collapse Details

Drugs in the Media
    Don't get on the Lexapro. It made me put on weight like no tomorrow. Then it was impossible to burn it whilst still taking it. I got on Cymbalta and that was quite good. Had no issues burning weight.

10. Collapse Details

Mental Health

when it comes to hangoverish feelings from nighttime meds, they usually dissipate or become much more tolerable, if I remember right.