• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Benzodiazepines with a long duration of action ?

Volvak

Greenlighter
There are lots that have a long half life. But not many that have a long duration of action. Clonazepam, perhaps clonazepam derivates like clonitrazolam ... Any other benzodiazepines ?

Flubromazepam/lam probably have the longest DoA's of any benzo's I've ever taken(not that I have sampled that much more than the most common fare). F-Lam is stupidly potent and hypnotic though, gotta be really careful with it and it doesn't have much utility beyond sleeping for 18 hours.

Phenazepam Also has a ridiculously long Do a, with a half-life of around 60hrs. Haven't had it myself but it seems much longer acting than clonazepam.

Duration of action doesn't necessarily mean it's effective for your indication for that whole duration. Oh I guess you put that in the OP, but worth repeating.

Phenazepam is good for feeling zombified for 3 days (I used it a couple of times to just get through shitty days) and for me virtually no fun which is a good thing. It did actually work for a very long time, the tail end wasn't bullshit IIRC. I don't take benzos recreationally and I don't take them structurally anymore not for years. If you dose it normally and don't dose again for a very long time (like maybe 4-5 days) I don't think phenazepam is too dangerous but it's very dangerous when people do redose. It does have an elevated tendency for amnesia but so does e.g. alprazolam and a lot of other -lams.

Clonazepam is okay for duration but it wrecks my memory / attention. Does feel good.. I think it's one to be particularly careful with but it's hard to explain why.

Diazepam is a good all-round benzo with a fine duration especially it's metabolite nordazepam although it's effects seem to change and not for the better.

I would stay the fuck away from flubromazolam, it's the only drug I've ever submitted to a lab for destruction.. way too strong if you don't have a big tolerance and if you do have a tolerance it would be bad to raise that tolerance immensely with it.

Flubromazepam was okay and I slept well on it and felt it the next day but it's not better or safer feeling than diazepam.

To me phenazepam actually seems good to do a methadone like program with if you can control yourself. It revolves all around whether you actually accept that there won't be any feeling comfortable - just "ok".. maintenance.

Horrible things happen when people start trying to force something which is not satisfying to try to get that satisfaction anyway. It's not how a lot of drugs work and instead you can get very bad problems. Still people do this when dependent for complicated reasons. So you'd have to be crystal clear on what the fuck you are actually trying to accomplish with the benzo you take.

Isn't meclonazepam long lasting by the way? I seem to remember that (I have it and tried it). It's also a benzo which in one aspect disappoints but does the job. It's not really that pleasant compared to most benzos and seems dull. But it can be used to ones advantage. No idea how safe it actually is. But it should be lightyears safer than shit like flubromazolam or clonitrazolam or flunitrazolam etc (granted I have not tried them all but seriously I warn you to stay away from the ones that people say are strong and feel good, as strange as that may sound).

I sometimes take etizolam, just occasionally a mg.. but I am so glad that I don't have the affliction anymore of seeking some solution in taking benzos daily/structurally. Reasons for use and abuse can be deceptively complicated and in my opinion so can the choice for a particular benzo.

Last edited:
Yeah, don't underestsimate what Solipsis says about F-Lam...honestly I don't think any triazolo benzo is suitable for more than occasional use, they seem to have way more problems with tolerance, dependence, side effects, ruining ones life, etc. Even once you adjust for potency.

A technical question. Diazepam itself doesn't last that long, even though it has a long half life. It gets redistributed quickly.
A metabolite is desmethyldiazepam. When diazepam is converted to that drug, I guess that one starts with a whole duration of action, and since it's a continuous process ?? The same for oxazepam and temazepam, I'm not sure what that means.

No, midazolam has a half life of about 2 hours.

A technical question. Diazepam itself doesn't last that long, even though it has a long half life. It gets redistributed quickly.
A metabolite is desmethyldiazepam. When diazepam is converted to that drug, I guess that one starts with a whole duration of action, and since it's a continuous process ?? The same for oxazepam and temazepam, I'm not sure what that means.

I would think that it wouldn't necessarily start a whole new DoA, but that both diazepam and nordiazepam are both working in tandem together. It's not like you took diazepam and then nordiazepam on top of it, rather more like your getting 1 drug that splits off into a separate yet similar chemical that act at the same time together (I hope I'm making sense).

Diazepam has metabolites that last a while, but it's not really therapeutically active for that long. That's part of the reason why people are taking klonopin all over the place.

Librium has a really long half life. Both librium and diazepam have long half-lives and similar metabolites. These make a huge difference in tapering. As far as therapeutic effects goes I really don't know. What I do know is it can take over week to enter full on librium WD or diazepam WD while if someone was to come off Ativan or clonazepam the WD would hit much quicker be much harsher and likely more dangerous.

The half-life of a drug is the time it takes for the drug to be halved. However, this does not mean you will feel half the effects. The duration the action of a drug is only partly related to the half-life.

Yeah, don't underestsimate what Solipsis says about F-Lam...honestly I don't think any triazolo benzo is suitable for more than occasional use, they seem to have way more problems with tolerance, dependence, side effects, ruining ones life, etc. Even once you adjust for potency.

Xanax is easy to handle if you’re not a benzo junkie.

To each their own, but IME you've got to be a lot more careful with triazolo's in general, and not just acute problems associated with intoxication, IME all the problems you run into with chronic benzo use are just amplified with triazolo's and they have a greater incidence of rebound effects, more severely impact sleep architecture, etc. I'm sure this is from both a combination of their binding profile and pharmacokinetics.

Doesn't take much more than a week, maybe less, to become physically dependent on alprazolam.
Xanax also has the added benefit of being the only alpha2-adrenergic agonist. That way when you start to feel like you are dying, rest assured. You are.

And xanax has antidepressant value. It doesn't take more than 10 mg for most people to feel some kind of withdrawal from it.

To each their own, but IME you've got to be a lot more careful with triazolo's in general, and not just acute problems associated with intoxication, IME all the problems you run into with chronic benzo use are just amplified with triazolo's and they have a greater incidence of rebound effects, more severely impact sleep architecture, etc. I'm sure this is from both a combination of their binding profile and pharmacokinetics.

Disagree.

Long lasting ones like clonazepam and diazepam are obviously still going to be in your system by that evening. Alprazolam lasts 6 to maybe 8 hrs tops.