• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Opiate withdrawal and what can I do

dabeachbum17

Greenlighter
Okay so I've been taking opiates for about 10 years now. I've always been able to have a good handle on it taking it recreationally for a weekend and then going weeks or months without taking any. About 4 years ago my wife passed away and I got into them real hard for about 6 months. After that I stopped cold turkey and went through some serious withdrawal. about a year after that I started taking them recreationally again continuing my same habits of taking some for only a day or two and then going weeks or months without taking any. But without realizing the last 6 months or so I guess I've been taking them pretty continuously maybe only having a day or two in between. So I know that my withdrawals are going to be pretty gnarly again. I haven't taken any actual pills like Norco or percs for about 8 days now. But I have been taking some Tramadol to try and taper off and make it as easy as possible. The last three days I've been on a very small dose of half a Tramadol each day bumped my withdrawal symptoms are here already. I've got the cold sweats, chills, diarrhea, no sleep. I have some Gabapentin cuz I heard it helps with some of the symptoms but I took 1 800 mg last night before I went to sleep and I was able to sleep about 5 hours but I woke up feeling like absolute shit and it feels like depression parts are kicking in. I've been pretty upbeat about it lately thinking about how I will be nice to get away from all of it but today has been pretty tough for me. What are some things that I can do to help me get through this and will they Gabapentin help me? Since I've already been through and I know what the pains are it just really scares me to know what's coming up. I know the only last for a few days of the physical symptoms and since I've already been going through them and my almost out of the clear or because I've been taking a half a Tramadol and today I took my last half am I expecting to have even more days of physical pain?

Oh and I want to add that all of this has been pretty much kept a big secret. There's maybe one or two people to even know I've been taking pills lately the other than that no one else knows. Not even the girl I live with now or my daughter so I'm trying to figure out a way to keep these symptoms at ease without raising suspicions.

Hey there, it sounds like you're on a very low dose already at least so that's good, you tapered well so that will really help. Gabapentin does help with withdrawal, you generally have to take more than 800mg in my experience. Also tolerance to gabapentin ramps up quickly, although it takes a while to develop any sort of dependence so you don't need to worry about that. Having it be a secret is tough. What I would suggest is just to pretend you have the flu or something. That will allow you to be sick and not have people wondering what's up. Then just use your gabapentin and power through. The fortunate thing is that you tapered, so you've minimized how bad it will be.

I would suggest. once you get clear, to just move on from opiates. Easier said than done, I know, but I was also addicted to opiates for 10 years, I went on and off but every time I started again it was inevitable I'd end up with dependence and my life would spiral and it got worse every time.

Yes trying to keep it a secret has been tough. I don't seem to be having any joy in the things I used to take joy in. I try to fake it but somehow it still seems noticeable. I haven't been able to sleep the last 2 nights evil was trying to take the Gabapentin it just makes me feel nasty the next morning even though I don't sleep. I have the 800 mg pills of them that I just take one about an hour before I try to go to sleep and it doesn't seem to work. That's the worst thing for me is the tossing and turning at night and not being able to sleep it's just the worst. Is there something else that you think would help with that?

Take 3000mg of gabapentin with alcohol and you sleep like baby.
Im in some polsition in raw withdrawals. vhelps for me.

Yeah the restlessness/sleeplessness was always the worst part for me. There are some things that help:

Benzos (like xanax, etc): These can help you relax and knock you out, but of course are dangerously addictive. But for acute withdrawal it's okay to use them, just as long as you stop as soon as you can.

OTC sleeping pills such as doxylamine: these can help you sleep sometimes, it's worth a try. Avoid diphenhydramine as it increases restless legs

quetiapine (Seroquel): An antipsychotic that is prescribed for sleep in certain lower dosages. If you have access to this, look up the sleep dosage, it might work quite well for sleep, I've never tried it personally though.

Loperamide (immodium): Loperamide is actually an opiate itself, a very atypical one. Taken in high dosages, 20-40mg, it greatly reduces opiate withdrawal symptoms for many people, including myself. It takes a few hours to start working and lasts about a day. I find it greatly reduces pretty much all of the symptoms of opiate withdrawal, most notably the restlessness. However there are some risks. It is physically addictive and due to the long half-life its withdrawals last a long time. But using it for a few days to get past acute withdrawal should not produce withdrawals. It is also bad for you and has caused deaths due to heart failure when very large doses are taken (like 100mg+) or when it's taken chronically for prolonged periods. It's playing with fire a bit but it does really help a lot of people. Some people seem to get no relief from it. It takes a lot longer than you'd think to start providing relief so if you try it, don't redose.

Don't try using alcohol, as if my experience alcohol will very briefly make you feel a little better, and then it'll make the restlessness much worse, and will make you feel even more emotionally unstable.

Thanks for the responses. At this point I'm really willing to try anything and I like the idea of the Imodium because my stomach is not doing good at all. The cramps and restroom problem is becoming tough. I'm going to go out and try to pick some up now. I've been doing some research and I came across this herbal supplement called kratom. From what I've been reading about it it helps relieve about 90% of the symptoms and so I'm about an hour ago I made it over to a smoke shop and got some so I'm going to try that right now as well. Coming across any benzos I could do but those are usually the same people I pick up my other stuff from and I don't really trust myself right now. Sleeping and my stomach or the main physical problems that I'm having other than just aching and feeling like crap like that but the thing I'm having the hardest time with is not finding Joy or wanting to do things. Yesterday I went with my family out to the beach with the kids and stuff and I put on a good face and things but I wasn't enjoying it wasn't having a good time. And afterwards my girl wanted to go have a few drinks at the local bar and I did when I was having a hard time couldn't find myself to enjoy it or anything. And she keeps asking me if something's wrong or why I'm not I told her I'm not feeling good and asking why I'm not feeling good night she might have an idea and I hope that she doesn't. Other than putting it out on here no one else really knows when I'm kind of going through right now so it's kind of nice to just put it out there.

Kratom is not a supplement, it's an opioid, it hits the delta and mu opioid receptors. Kratom will also help the stomach issues because of this. I was addicted to kratom for 7 years (and was trying to quit for most of that time) before moving to harder opiates, it has somewhat milder withdrawals except that the restlessness is worse than any other opiate withdrawals I've experienced (heroin, morphine, poppy tea, oxycodone). It can be useful for withdrawing but if you use it, it doesn't last very long and use it as minimally as possible because otherwise you'll trade one addiction for another. Still, it can be really good for withdrawal if you have discipline. If you use it, try using it only when you absolutely can't stand it, as few times as possible. Ideally, only before bed so you can get some relief from the restlessness and sleeplessness. In my experience, kratom is more difficult to use for withdrawal than immodium because it actually gets you opiate high, whereas immodium just helps withdrawal symptoms but doesn't get you high.

Really? I've been reading on this pretty extensive for the past few days and this is the first case that I've heard of someone being actually addicted to it for a period of time. I did read some mornings that I could have some addictive characteristics to it but everything that I read said if you take it for less than 21 days that you won't feel anything when you stop. And that you have to be sure that you're taking correct Doses and now more than you need. I took it earlier and it is unbelievable how well it has worked. I'm having zero symptoms right now and it did not make me the slightest bit High. A good method it seems to have worked for other people is you take it about 4 times a day for the first 5 days and then you go down to two times a day for another 5 days and you should be good. Is it something that could be used with the Imodium or would it be bad to mix the two since they both work on the opioid receptors?

Hey there. I have been addicted to opiates for a long time... I started using IV Heroin a few months ago and decided i needed to make a change. The first few days of withdrawal WERE HORRIBLE. Then i started taking Kratom and the withdrawals were EXTREMELY manageable. Like Xorkoth said, it is a "opioid" per say (because it acts on the mu opioid receptor), but it CAN help you get off opiates. It has for 1000's of people. Myself included. Can it be become addictive? Yes. BUT, its a hell of a lot better then popping pills or shooting heroin. People take it daily several times to fight cravings and stop withdrawals. Shoot 2 hours ago i was in pure hell...Now, i feel pretty much back to normal. and im having no cravings at all (which is my biggest thing when im trying to quit). Maybe you can give it a shot. I can give you a website, which has cheap and great quality kratom. Just PM me. (we cant give sources here).

Thanks for the input. I found a spot pretty local to me that has them in at a pretty good price. They seem to be working great with pretty much all of the symptoms other than my stomach my stomach is still going quite crazy. I'm curious though. About how often do you take your dose I don't want to start having the symptoms start showing up again. It's been about 4 hours since I took the first dose of it.

Hi guys, I've imported kratom over here (Ireland) from the US but I'm curious to know how many grms a dy of krtom should i take for 1gr dope habit? I can't take it without puttimh it into capsules coz the taste is just too revolting, like mny others here i can't just lock myself away for 3 dys to get over the physical withdrawal, I have 2 little boys that practically live with me fulltime so finding the time is impossible, subs are not available in Ireland which suck. I got red vein borneo shipped over, just took a chance as I heard the red strains are the best for opiate withdrawal/.

Finish tapering with the kratom. You'll still have some discomfort when you stop but it shouldn't be too bad. Also you need to take like 3000mg of the gabapentin for it to be effective