• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Problems breathing since DXM use? (long term problem)

Ketamania

Bluelight Crew
Howdy,

I didn't know an appropriate place for this thread so I thought healthy living would be the best.

I've been a recreational DXM user for about 6 months now. I know basically everything there is to know about DXM harm reduction, and I've been following the '1 week rest per plateau' rule.

Starting just before spring I noticed after my last recent trip (my largest one yet, 1200mg DXM HBr) I started having breathing problems. It is kind of akin asthma. Whenever I take a breath I have to focus. I rarely am able to take in enough oxygen to get the 'peak' of a breath you feel. It's like 75% I can only breath enough oxygen to fill the bottom half of my lungs? I'm going crazy having to focus on getting a full breath of air when I am physically exerting myself too.

However, the doctors in my area and friends are saying it is the worst allergy season compared to the last few years. I've never had problems with seasonal allergies before, so maybe it's just that? I took allergy medicine to see if it'd help and it helped a *little*.

Now that it's summer (and not allergy season) I have stopped taking the allergy medicine, and I still have this darn breathing issue.

It's really a pain because I have to focus and time my breaths much more when I run now. Do you guys think it's just allergies or using DXM could've done something?

Last edited:
Taking large doses of DXM always felt dangerous. Even if it is spaced out by several months. Ingesting certain drugs in large doses may change the way your body deals with allergies. So you took like 300 mg or more of DXM every week.

Lay off the DXM and start really implementing some harm reduction strategies. The idea that spacing out your DXM use by a week will keep you safe even when ingesting huge amounts of the drug does not sound like harm reduction.

Do you smoke cigarettes?

I did a shitload of DXM (top 100 all-time) and never got this.

I did get bronchitis from smoking and started to get asthma etc but I quit and it went away entirely (still smoke weed.) Usually when I get my oxygen measured at a hospital it's like 98% (I don't know what that means but supposedly good.)

That's perfused O2, meaning not only is your lungs are in good shape and taking in the proper amount of 02 into your blood, but also that your circulation is good (pumping to the extremities like toes and fingers) and carrying the 02 there. 98 % is very good, btw it is considered "low" under 90%.

That's perfused O2, meaning not only is your lungs are in good shape and taking in the proper amount of 02 into your blood, but also that your circulation is good (pumping to the extremities like toes and fingers) and carrying the 02 there. 98 % is very good, btw it is considered "low" under 90%.

Yeah, I have no problem running etc, if I had kept smoking cigs I would have probably made the asthma permanent (fuck tobacco, still enjoy my nicotine gum/vapes)

I wish I could give up tobacco. :(

Taking large doses of DXM always felt dangerous. Even if it is spaced out by several months. Ingesting certain drugs in large doses may change the way your body deals with allergies. So you took like 300 mg or more of DXM every week.

Definitely agreed that the OP should practise harm reduction techniques, but I'm kinda curious about this. I've never really heard of drug abuse changing the way the body deals with allergens.

Pollen release will increase with climate change, and hayfever season will last longer too. I recall reading the idea that many people will start experiencing allergies who currently do not because of these factors.

If you have never vaped try it I use gum also but would never have been able to replace smoking with gum alone (lacks the sensation.)

I do vape, but don't believe that it is contributing to the problem.

The problem has subsided. Was starting to freak me out, maybe just some strange pollen that season.