Bluelight

Thread: Drum lines: Shark attack victims' families challenge WA Government over lack of trial

1. Collapse Details
    Drum lines: Shark attack victims' families challenge WA Government over lack of trial 
    Current Events and Politics
    Non-Electronic Music Discussion
    Shielding off the weakening beams of salvation shining upon the mournful gloom of Earth
    As some would know, the last decade or so has been bad in WA for folks getting eaten by sharks. I thought this topic interesting as it would appear the attacks are an effect of overfishing leading sharks to try out new hunting grounds and the increasing population of humans of course swim/surf/make sweet love in those same waters.

I am concerned with any use of drum lines; and the idea of smart drums lines sounds too good to be true, and is still rough and potentially dangerous. Plus the animals that simply have a bite and are hooked, but don't happen to be sharks, or dangerous ones at least.

We are in their territory, and should simply be aware that there are risks. The governments would like to put safety padding on everything, and its kinda disgusting. Swimming in the ocean, or interacting with any natural environment is risky and we need to accept that. I think its actually a beautiful thing to have untamed and dangerous places on the earth still, that we are allowed to go in even!

Drum lines: Shark attack victims' families challenge WA Government over lack of trial

Rick Gerring at the memorial for his brother Ben, who was killed by a shark

What price do you put on life?

That's the question Rick Gerring is asking the WA Government two years after his brother Ben was killed by a shark.

Mr Gerring is part of a vocal group of WA surfers who want so-called smart drum lines trialled in WA.

Advocates say they're working in New South Wales.

But WA Fisheries Minister Dave Kelly is resisting the idea, estimating it would cost $75 million a year to roll out the technology along the state's vast coastline.

"NSW are running a trial, they're spending millions of dollars on that trial," he said.

"We'll wait and see what the results are to see whether there is actually any evidence that they reduce attacks."

'What cost is human life?'

Smart drum lines involve the use of a baited hook but instead of killing the sharks caught, like WA's previous Liberal government, scientists tag and then release them a kilometre offshore.

"The best thing as a part of that is that we're showing that those animals are then 10 to 20 kilometres offshore within the next 24 to 48 hours," NSW Department of Primary Industries scientist Paul Butcher told 7.30.

"So there's a fright response from those animals to move further offshore."

No-one has been killed by a shark in the trial locations in NSW since the 18-month study began.

Rick Gerring said that was evidence enough for him that they should be rolled out in WA.

He also rejected the minister's $75 million price tag.

"We're not looking at doing the whole coastline, we're looking at doing strategic areas so the cost would be a lot less and at the end of the day, what cost is human life?" he said.

"For $70 million a year, is my brother not worth that? Is [shark attack victim] Laeticia [Brouwer] not worth that?

"Is every other shark victim not worth that?"
    -Read more.

2. Collapse Details

Idk, surfers tend to be strong environmentalists who are respectful of being aquatic visitors, so I'd like to hear more from that community.

When I think about "shark fin" poachers who just slice off fins and throw sharks back in the water, this seems more reasonable to consider.

Of course it would be nice if we could stop overfishing. Dammit.

3. Collapse Details

We won't stop overfishing. One day the last tuna on Earth or the last shark on Earth will knowingly be killed for some money.

4. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Yeah it does seem like we won't learn a damn thing about anything until we've utterly destroyed it or used it entirely up, and then the lamentations will begin, oh if only we'd known!

5. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    I'm not a fan of this. Going in the ocean carries risk an exceedingly low risk but risk. To answer his question about his brothers life no it's not worth 70 million dollars. Not while thousands die every year from lack of affordable medical care. It's about financial priorities
    Addicted? Want to stop? We can help! Come to the sober living forum!
    http://www.bluelight.org/vb/forums/269-Sober-Living

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    I'm not a fan of this. Going in the ocean carries risk an exceedingly low risk but risk. To answer his question about his brothers life no it's not worth 70 million dollars. Not while thousands die every year from lack of affordable medical care. It's about financial priorities
    I gotta say I also really don't see sustainability or much else positive to say in the "we should spend tax dollars funding absolutely every idea anyone thinks of in case it might help" line of thought. Apart from the staggering amount of money it wastes, some experiments return results that show the concept or product actually makes things worse. That's why you have experiments and trials to start with.

It reminds me of when, I think it was the Victorian state government but don't quote me on that, they wanted to look into upgrading the weapons for the police force. So they ran a study. Which found exactly the same conclusion as all 5 or so other studies done by other state governments asking the same question for their own police forces. For an answer that was beyond obvious to start with.

What a waste of money.

I'm also not generally big on arguments that seem to be built entirely around "this one family lost this one child that maybe, might have been saved, if only X". Strikes me as the argument you use when you know you've got no logical argument so you're playing to people's emotions.

7. Collapse Details

So another study on overfishing?

8. Collapse Details

Catch and release a kilometer from the shore? quite what in the name of fuck is that intended to accomplish?

And the money spent? that could be spent on giving auties and aspies services, for one example among a million others I could come up with.

Do they think the sharks are going to say to themselves 'well now, I've been a naughty shark, and now I've been told not to, I'll stay within a kilometer of the shore' ? what a load of abject bollocks and my furry autistic arse they will.

A shark is just a big fish, fish are pretty primitive as far as intellectual prowess goes, and they certainly are completely incapable of comprehending a human-made 'law' and to decide to obey such human desires that they restrict their movements in any way. The only way you can force a shark to restrict it's movements, is either for it to be of a species which is restricted to deep water and is biologically incompatible with the lack of extreme pressure, or to create a physical barrier which the shark is incapable of moving beyond. And that of course is about as practical as farming phoenix guano fertilizer, and using trained badgers to harvest the turd.

Fucking christ on a bleedin' bike, I've heard some mental shite before, but this is pretty damn high on the list of brainless shitbaggery.
    Last edited by tathra; 17-06-2018 at 17:34.

9. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Electronic Music Discussion
    MDMA & Empathogenic Drugs
    You could always try and counteract them with drum circles.

10. Collapse Details

11. Collapse Details

Globally, yeah - but not so much in australia, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Limpet_Chicken View Post
    Catch and release a kilometer from the shore? quite what in the name of fuck is that intended to accomplish?

And the money spent? that could be spent on giving auties and aspies services, for one example among a million others I could come up with.

Do they think the sharks are going to say to themselves 'well now, I've been a naughty shark, and now I've been told not to, I'll stay within a kilometer of the shore' ? what a load of abject bollocks and my furry autistic arse they will.

A shark is just a big fish, fish are pretty primitive as far as intellectual prowess goes, and they certainly are completely incapable of comprehending a human-made 'law' and to decide to obey such human desires that they restrict their movements in any way. The only way you can force a shark to restrict it's movements, is either for it to be of a species which is restricted to deep water and is biologically incompatible with the lack of extreme pressure, or to create a physical barrier which the shark is incapable of moving beyond. And that of course is about as practical as farming phoenix guano fertilizer, and using trained badgers to harvest the turd.
    Yep, it's absurd to expect people to believe that they are somehow teaching sharks something with this.

I grew up in the state this story is about, and i don't think this whole thing is being approached in good faith.

I think the reason the government is spending money on "shark deterrents" that will presumably never work, is because they recieve political donations from property developers who make their money expanding coastal housing developments further and further along the coast.
    There are suburbs of perth stretching over 100km north and south of that city - and shark attacks on humans (increasing - but still incredibly rare) are bad for business.

Maybe i'm just really cynical?
    Last edited by spacejunk; 17-06-2018 at 13:23.
    ✺✹✺✹BLUA✺✹✺✹

12. Collapse Details

^ no... no your not.

cynical thinking is attracting sharks with bait to areas people frequent would be a good deterrent while profiting off of it is an outstanding idea.

13. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    My bad space junk WA is the abreviation for the state of Washington in the United States. I didn't realize this was about Australia
    Addicted? Want to stop? We can help! Come to the sober living forum!
    http://www.bluelight.org/vb/forums/269-Sober-Living

14. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Director of Communications
    i'm told i am an sjw, nanny-state, liberal cucktard but i think if you get in the ocean dressed as a shark's breakfast and get bit, well, that's on you.

alasdair

15. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by alasdairm View Post
    i'm told i am an sjw, nanny-state, liberal cucktard but i think if you get in the ocean dressed as a shark's breakfast and get bit, well, that's on you.

alasdair

Especially when the beach was already closed due to shark activity. .

The latest bloke went in regardless.

There's not much that can be done about sharks, our coast is full of them .

16. Collapse Details

My bad space junk WA is the abreviation for the state of Washington in the United States. I didn't realize this was about Australia
    Easy mistake to make

Used to amuse me as a kid, especially when my sister was living in Tacoma WA and i in Perth WA, on the other side of the world.
    I used to surf a bit when i was in high school, but to me sharks are just a fact of life. The idea that people try to stop sharks killing people strikes me as ridiculous.
    Especially when it kills other marine life like dolphins and stuff. I think they have shark nets that do that in sydney or some other parts of australia, and i hate that shit.
    Getting et by a shark is one of the risks of swimming in the ocean. Part of the "fun".
    But i must admit it did used to scare me a bit, especially when a guy got taken by a massive white pointer in a couple of feet of water at north cottesloe beach. Swam around there a lot, growing up - and it's hard to put out of your mind.
    ✺✹✺✹BLUA✺✹✺✹