• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Buprenorphine study, using BL as a source

Coolwhip

Bluelighter
This is probably not the most suitable place for this, feel free to move it if need be.

But I stumbled across this study, and when I was reading it I realized one of the quotes found within is my own, which I thought was really cool so I wanted to share it.

It doesn't specifically say Bluelight, just a "web forum that allows free discussion of illicit drug use", I guess it could be opiophile but I am 100% they are my words and later(when I have time) will use the search engine to find said post.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7360/fa99ab548aec6027eb9f1943ecfb164c7d24.pdf

Last edited:
bluelight has been around since well before 2004.

I didn't interpret is as the forum only being around from 2005-2013, just that being the range for collecting posts.

A Web forum that allows for the free discussion of
recreational drug use and is accessible for public viewing
was selected for the study. The selected Web-forum was
started in 2004, and focused primarily on illicit opioids and
other drugs. It grew from 32 posts in 2004 to 1,356 in 2005,
almost 10,000 in 2006, and about 50,000 posts per year in
2011 and 2012

That sounds to me like it's Opiophile, not BL. We don't focus primarily on opioids, in fact, BL started as a site to discuss MDMA usage.

Good catch, I just skimmed the whole thing and missed that part. I was going off..

"PREDOSE, a novel Semantic Web platform, was used to
extract relevant posts from a Web-forum that allows free discussions
on illicit drugs. First, we extract information about the total number of
buprenorphine-related posts per year between 2005 and 2013."

Thanks for that before I wasted time trying to search for it. Well I still thought it was a really innovative method, amazingly in touch with the consensus reached by users like us as opposed to feeling out of touch like a lot of the stuff coming out of academia can when trying to answer such questions as posited within, such as studies which rely on voluntary surveys. I'd like to see more papers employing this same model. What I thought especially interesting was the chart on page 3.

I definitely remember a time when BL was a little less accepting of opiates(not to be critical, I'm sure it was just a reflection of its user base and not its administration) left me a little lost when opiophile shut down actually(the first time).

God I miss opiophile, loved reading posts from some of the frequent posters in their chemistry subforum.

Last edited: