Completed Seeking moderators for an interview on design and impact of Bluelight

Skeebs

Bluelighter
Researchers from Lehigh University (PA, USA) are seeking moderators to participate in an online interview (e.g., Skype/Discord) concerning your experience with Bluelight. The study examines the technology design of bluelight.org and its interaction with the goals, attitudes and behaviors of community members. The interview should take approximately 30-60 minutes, and we are willing to accommodate a variety of methods (e.g. video, audio-only, IM).

These interviews are intended as the first part of a larger study on the information practices of Bluelight users. Your responses and feedback will be used to help craft an upcoming survey for the general Bluelight audience. The long-term goal is to identify ways in which computational tools and algorithmic features can be used to benefit communities such as Bluelight.

You must be 18 years or older to participate. If you would like to participate, please send a direct message to me (Skeebs), or contact me via email at [email protected]. My name is Patrick Skeba, and my advisor is Prof. Eric Baumer, you can find some information about our lab and previous work at https://das-lab.org.

This study has received ethical approval from Lehigh's Institutional Review Board.

Bluelight's research admin, Tronica, has approved this post and will make an accompanying post soon. For anyone that does participate in the interview, please use this thread to voice your impressions and feedback, I'll be here to answer questions and hopefully improve the process as it goes on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Following up on Skeebs' post, admins have had a good look at this project and believe the findings will be very useful for Bluelight. We have also reviewed the ethics application and procedures and are happy with those.

We hope you will support this doctoral project!

Thanks to those of you who have reached out and participated so far, the study is moving along quite fine thanks to your help. But I could still use more participants from, well, pretty much every board.

I would love to hear from people who don't want to participate as well, maybe you could tell me what is keeping you away and I can attempt to address your concerns. I realize I'm asking for quite a bit more than just a survey, so I'm happy to explain myself and the study in much more detail if there are specific questions.

Last edited:
I recently published a short position paper to a workshop at the CSCW conference based on findings from the interviews so far. You can find the paper at this page: https://networkedprivacycscw2018.wordpress.com/position-papers/ - the authors are me (Patrick Skeba) and my advisor.

The workshop was centered around issues of privacy, and how we can engage with theory to better understand internet users' perceptions of privacy and design systems that protect users. The title of the paper is "Anonymity Will Not Save You: Empirical and Theoretical Obstacles to Studying Algorithmic Privacy," and here is the abstract:

"Interviews with moderators of an online drug harm-reductionforum suggest a common view of privacy which is primarilyconcerned with the protection of personally identifiable informationand puts responsibility for that protection onto theindividual. Algorithmic analysis introduces the possibility ofinferring or predicting private information which the subjectwishes to hide, but current attitudes in society and policydo not fully address these less direct threats to privacy. Researchersmust consider new methods to qualitatively studypractices and attitudes related to this algorithmic privacy."

I plan to do more work in this area and write a full length paper on the topic of privacy perceptions at Bluelight in the future. If anyone reads this and has opinions, I'd be happy to discuss it more.

Researchers from Lehigh University (PA, USA) are seeking moderators to participate in an online interview (e.g., Skype/Discord) concerning your experience with Bluelight. The study examines the technology design of bluelight.org and its interaction with the goals, attitudes and behaviors of community members. The interview should take approximately 30-60 minutes, and we are willing to accommodate a variety of methods (e.g. video, audio-only, IM).

These interviews are intended as the first part of a larger study on the information practices of Bluelight users. Your responses and feedback will be used to help craft an upcoming survey for the general Bluelight audience. The long-term goal is to identify ways in which computational tools and algorithmic features can be used to benefit communities such as Bluelight.

You must be 18 years or older to participate. If you would like to participate, please send a direct message to me (Skeebs), or contact me via email at
[email protected]. My name is Patrick Skeba, and my advisor is Prof. Eric Baumer, you can find some information about our lab and previous work at https://das-lab.org.

This study has received ethical approval from Lehigh's Institutional Review Board.

Bluelight's research admin, Tronica, has approved this post and will make an accompanying post soon. For anyone that does participate in the interview, please use this thread to voice your impressions and feedback, I'll be here to answer questions and hopefully improve the process as it goes on!
I've been doing nothing feeling since 1986 started with what they called Crank peanut butter lemon drop chicken mash here in San Diego put it in my hand that sold it. Already a second striker. Been smoking it since 91 can't stop I see it as an everyday thing and everyday occurrence this part of my life now I'm glad for the blue light because it helped me to understand about dosing and overdosing and rehabilitation and rehab clean yourself up and understanding who you are understanding about being a drug addict greate website to