Bluelight

Thread: Denmark's burka ban will send Muslim women further underground

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Collapse Details

^ agreed 100% about the "shared values". To me, the "values" held by a nation are pretty abstract, and pretty fluid.
    The idea that there is some way of teaching "values" seems a bit fanciful to me - or is it just a cynical way of making immigration more complicated and difficult, for the sake of an ideological objection to migrants entering a country?

As reluctant as some people are to acknowledge it, immigration is a pretty essential thing for the economies of a lot of developed countries, due to our low birth rates and aging population.
    Without migrants, we would have a massive demographic inbalance, where a huge proportion of the population is past retirement age, putting pressure on the younger generations to maintain economic stability.

I understand that people want their country's culture to stay the same, but that's really not possible. All culture is fluid, especially in the modern age where communications and modes of travel allow for cultural cross-polination. It's unavoidable, so i think we need to be realistic in understanding that the best way to get the most from new migrants is through muyual respect and understanding.
    In time, we will all adapt.
    ✺✹✺✹BLUA✺✹✺✹

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by spacejunk View Post
    I understand that people want their country's culture to stay the same, but that's really not possible. All culture is fluid, especially in the modern age where communications and modes of travel allow for cultural cross-polination.
    it's especially true of the u.s. given the country's history i.e .the majority of the population are descended from immigrants.

alasdair

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by spacejunk View Post
    Ignore "them" and "letting them fester"?
    Who are these festering immigrants?
    I was referring to the issues, the cultural conflicts. You are ignoring them, and saying we should just let everyone in and hope for the best.
    I know someone who works security in Sweden. There are problems. One way to alleviate these problems is through education. It's easier to respect a culture once you truly understand the rules and what's expected of you if you're a visitor.

Let's say hypothetically that you wanted to permanently relocate to a middle eastern country and one of the requirements was to complete a course to learn about the culture.
    Would you have a problem with that? Wouldn't you prefer to understand the local rules and customs so that you don't cause offence or accidentally get yourself into trouble?
    Maybe something that was acceptable or normalized in your country is illegal there..

Should we afford the same respect to Scandinavian culture?
    Scandinavians have created some of the most prosperous, educated and progressive societies especially with regards to gender equality.
    Would it be good to share these values?

4. Collapse Details

Current Events and Politics
    Do not re-post previously UA'd post.

Best, CD

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456