• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Please help. SSDI AND SSI.

sonicwhite

Bluelighter
Ok I?ve got a legit DSM5 diagnosis. I?ve been on disability since 08.

When I was my most happiest was when I was working 55 hours a week.

I?m trying to find Someone who is or has been on both and went back to work.

Can anyone tell me what to expect and what I need to do in order to keep something like insurance. Please I?m tired of rotting in my bed everyday.

Go to your Social Security Administration. They have pamphlets on the subject.

Or google it if you haven’t already. It’s all there.

Tell me, do you have ssi or ssdi?

You get Medicaid and Medicare when you're on disability. Those insurances covers most mainstream medicine.

Good luck to you! I'm on disability too, and I know it can be very much a negative feedback loop of inactivity. I wish you the best in finding recovery and functionality.

Oh, I was under the impression that ssd was more for physical conditions (like people in wheelchairs). I get ssi for mental problems too, but was denied ssd. Either way, it's tricky. I think you're allowed to work a certain amount with ssd or ssi, but if I remember correctly you don't get as much benefits. Don't quote me on that tho. Another thing that sucks is that if you go back to work full time you lose your benefits obviously, and if it doesn't work out you have reapply. I'm glad I finally got ssi but it does sort of trap you.

I have ssi. $750 monthly. It covers my rent and I have a few hundred dollars a month to fuck around with.
Recently I started to work as a cook at a high end sea food resturant and was making a good wage. At the start of each month, within 10 days I would report to my worker at the Social Security Administration how much I earned at my job. Social Security lets you keep the first $85 and then garnishes you 50 cents of every dollar you made at your job. You get your revised Ssi/Ssdi check the next month on time.
That?s one way ssi/ssdi and a job works. I know this from experience.
Honestly the best way to find out the truth is to go to the social security office because they have like 5 phamplets about working and still receiving insurance so you can see your psychiatrist and receive medication that you need.
It IS possible to screw up your ssi/ssdi check permenatl by working too much. That takes like 3 years of working full time non stop.

Definetly visits the Social security Administration office for phamplets to find out what is possible for you and to stay safe. There is a big rack of them and their free when you walk in.

Defiantly check out the phamplet titled: The Social Security Administration Ticket to Work Program.

Oh yea, I worked part time. If you are planning on working full time there are different rules from social security office for that.

Last edited:
Oh, I was under the impression that ssd was more for physical conditions (like people in wheelchairs). I get ssi for mental problems too, but was denied ssd. Either way, it's tricky. I think you're allowed to work a certain amount with ssd or ssi, but if I remember correctly you don't get as much benefits. Don't quote me on that tho. Another thing that sucks is that if you go back to work full time you lose your benefits obviously, and if it doesn't work out you have reapply. I'm glad I finally got ssi but it does sort of trap you.

Your state should have a vocational rehabilitation program, try to contact them and go through them, that is your best bet. You can get training and job placement as well. The rules and formulas are convoluted, and different for SSDI and SSD, because SSD is means tested, whereas SSDI is for people who worked long enough to pay tax into the system.

Good luck!

For some reason with the bi polor, PTSD, adhd and anxiety Diagnosis I was denied what's up with that man?

I like you Sonicwhite. Even with mental problems you know that you would have better time working/doing something that gives you meaning.
Hope you find work and are able to keep your insurance.

For some reason with the bi polor, PTSD, adhd and anxiety Diagnosis I was denied what's up with that man?

Perhaps the application was not thoroughly filled out or your psychiatrist does not think you are disabled. Or, if you haven’t had ongoing treatment - the medical records are very important. I don’t have ADHD, but I have the other diagnoses.

I applied online and they approved me in just under three months, but being denied on the application is the norm. You very well may get approved, but it can take a long time...the appellate process. (I was a member of a large bipolar support group and many members were denied on the first try, but approved when they got an attorney to represent them at the appellate hearings.)

I like you Sonicwhite. Even with mental problems you know that you would have better time working/doing something that gives you meaning.
Hope you find work and are able to keep your insurance.
Life can still have meaning if one cannot or doesn’t work. It’s a matter of adjusting your sense of purpose in another area of life. I am a licensed attorney that is disabled. I am also a mother, a volunteer, and a wife. I am a reader and an artist, too.

Sonic, going to ssa.gov will have the information you are seeking or you can find out going to your local SSA office.

Last edited:
Perhaps the application was not thoroughly filled out or your psychiatrist does not think you are disabled. Or, if you haven’t had ongoing treatment - the medical records are very important. I don’t have ADHD, but I have the other diagnoses.

I applied online and they approved me in just under three months, but being denied on the application is the norm. You very well may get approved, but it can take a long time...the appellate process. (I was a member of a large bipolar support group and many members were denied on the first try, but approved when they got an attorney to represent them at the appellate hearings.)
I was unfortunately incarcerated during the time of my denial so I was unable to appeal it at that time now my case is closed I believe I need to open a new case at this point in time.

Life can still have meaning if one cannot or doesn’t work. It’s a matter of adjusting your sense of purpose in another area of life. I am a licensed attorney that is disabled. I am also a mother, a volunteer, and a wife. I am a reader and an artist, too.

Sonic, going to ssa.gov will have the information you are seeking or you can find out going to your local SSA office.

Do you have any advice for someone who wants to regain control of their SSI from a manipulating family member? lol

I have ssi. $750 monthly. It covers my rent and I have a few hundred dollars a month to fuck around with.
Recently I started to work as a cook at a high end sea food resturant and was making a good wage. At the start of each month, within 10 days I would report to my worker at the Social Security Administration how much I earned at my job. Social Security lets you keep the first $85 and then garnishes you 50 cents of every dollar you made at your job. You get your revised Ssi/Ssdi check the next month on time.
That?s one way ssi/ssdi and a job works. I know this from experience.
Honestly the best way to find out the truth is to go to the social security office because they have like 5 phamplets about working and still receiving insurance so you can see your psychiatrist and receive medication that you need.
It IS possible to screw up your ssi/ssdi check permenatl by working too much. That takes like 3 years of working full time non stop.

Definetly visits the Social security Administration office for phamplets to find out what is possible for you and to stay safe. There is a big rack of them and their free when you walk in.

Defiantly check out the phamplet titled: The Social Security Administration Ticket to Work Program.

Oh yea, I worked part time. If you are planning on working full time there are different rules from social security office for that.
to keep getting ssd you have to work under a certain amt. of hours . You can get all this info on the site. I didn't have a problem getting my SSD reinstated when I got ill and couldn't really work. you have to explain everything in writing