Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(LSD / 125 mcg) - experienced user - The Jungle in Costa Rica

trippingly

Greenlighter
The Jungle, OSA Peninsula, Costa Rica

This is part 1 of a 4 part report of tripping in Costa Rica. In our month in Costa Rica we tripped in the Jungle, the beach, a volcanic thermal hot spring and the cloud forest. We hope you enjoy our reports.

A Month in Costa Rica

Our month in Costa Rica kicked off deep in the rainforest on the OSA Peninsula. In addition to the rainforest, we would be spending time at the beach, at a resort near Arenal volcano, and in the cloud forest. And we would be taking LSD in each location... a trip a week.

OSA+peninsula.jpg

First Stop, Osa Penninsula

To get to our first home, we would need to drive five hours on major roads, then 30 minutes on an improved dirt road, until finally hitting a small jeep trail, that crossed three rivers and became impassible in heavy rain. We were at the end of the rainy season, so for several hours a day, the road would likely be impossible to use.
The location turned out to be perfect for us. Our home was on a two-acre estate that we had to ourselves other than for the on-premise caretakers, and their friendly dog, who would visit us nightly as we cooked our dinner politely waiting for any tribute that might go his way.

osa+5.jpg

The grounds of the house were expansive - a full two acres on the beach. The trees were full of Scarlet Macaws, the the jungle behind the house was teaming with monkeys, and a variety of small mammals that a prolific in Osa. Just as interesting were the tiny bugs, bats and other small creatures that one could find by peeking under a large leaf.

Ants were also hard at work, breaking down anything that might fall on the forest grounds. The ants below carried this flower for 300 yards to their nest.
In general, the more carefully you looked, the more you would see in the jungles of Costa Rica.

3, 2, 1 ... We Have Ignition

The day for our trip arrived. We each decided to take a single 125 mcg dose at 10 a.m., after a light breakfast. We awoke early to cut fruit for later snacking. Sour Patch kids were also brought from the states and strategically deposited for later consumption.

fruit.JPG

We walked to the local beach. It was empty uponour arrival. A beautiful, but not easily surfed break entertained us while we waiting for the onset. As an aside, this small but lovely beach was almost always empty or nearly empty our entire stay. One or two local surfers would visit in the afternoons, and occasionally tourists from a local photo lodge came by to take pictures. But we often had the location to ourselves. Here's someone else's surfer video from the beach, which nicely captures a "crowded" day on the Osa.

At 20 minutes after initial ingestion, I notice my eyes start to focus on the waves, and my depth perception subtly change, with overall vision appearing more clear.... The typical first impact of LSD for me.

I then noticed that the clouds were rolling rapidly and were very close above the beach. It took me a few moments to realize there couldn't possibly be clouds there, and what I was seeing was a pure visual hallucination. I also realized that the jungle behind us was waving and pulsing and reflecting the classic "breathing" hallucination, many people report at the beginning of an LSD experience.

We continued to stare up to the sky, which, other than for an occasional bird, was pure blue, with my cloud hallucinations having passed. Several photographers from the local photo lodge set up their cameras, and one person in particular seemed almost obsessed to figure out what we were looking at. He would look at us, and then up to the sky, and confused look back at us. This was most pronounced as I found myself pointing out this or that hallucination to my partner (is that a bird? is what a bird? ahhh, nevermind). The poor guy took out a spotting scope, then scanned with his camera. His activity attracted other photographers, who also started looking to the sky and setting up cameras pointing at the blue sky. While this was entertaining for a while, paranoia started to creep in and we decided to do the five minute walk back to our house, while walking was still relatively easy....

jeep+road.jpg

Well.... the five minute walk took us around 15 minutes, and was surprisingly challenging.... with the slightly uneven surface and muddy patches becoming little puzzles for our LSD flooded brains to solve. Matters were complicated by the small monkey faces peering down from the trees.... whether there were actually monkeys there, remains a mystery.

Psychedelics, Indeed.

IMG_3917.jpg
A painting of the Scarlet Macaw, now our spirit animal

Back at home, around 90 minutes into our trip, the psychedelic phase was in full swing. Colors were not only vibrant, but also changing. A Scarlet Macaw landed on a tree and the entire tree changed the color of the birds feathers. Even the sound of the ocean became surrealistic and distorted. We were very happy to have had the privacy we were enjoying, because neither of us were in any position to interact with any human not on the same wavelength as us.

In the heat and humidity we strip down to minimal clothing and talked about the wonders of our trip. "If we could always feel like this, I mean... Fuck! Right?!?" Absolute euphoria as the world reveals beauty. Sensual foods and fresh fruit juice. A beautiful environment. Sex happens. It's fun and interesting. Playful and hilarious.
Short videos are shot of monologues about life, and its complexity. Then childlike playfulness floods over us, and we feel as though we are kids, sharing pure joy and fun with our best friend. Fibrance laser wire is turned on, and the glow is amazing despite it being mid day. Minutes feel like hours. And life is very very good.

Self-Therapy

By 2:30 pm, the intense hallucinations and euphoria start to pass, and a feeling of deep well being sets in. We enjoy more food and wine, along with some jalape?o infused tequila and fruit juice. A short shower nearby lowers the lighting but only slightly, and our moods are decidedly up beat, and we feel deeply connected. We talk about our lives together, and plans for the future. And I feel deeply moved and in love and grateful for my life.

More hours pass. I become aware of sadness. A poignant feeling; perhaps related to feelings of mortality. I spend time by myself reflecting on the emotions, and realize I am feeling unprocessed sadness over the death of my grandfather (who had died 17 years earlier). My grandfather helped raise me, and was my primary father figure. He was a man I deeply admired and respected.

I found that the LSD allowed me to look directly at my pain over this loss, and I felt safe and comfortable to fully embrace the sadness. As I had discovered in the past, LSD allows me to perceive myself and others without judgment and with deep acceptance. I started to cry and feel the deep loss that had resulted from his death, and the experience felt deeply cathartic. And when I felt I was done processing it, I was ready to move on. While I still feel the loss, this experience facilitated my processing emotions that had been un-resolved (and unrecognized) for almost two decades. I have absolutely no doubt that LSD could be an effective tool for people dealing with far greater stress, loss, and trauma than I was facing. I always felt that MDMA might have valuable clinical uses, but upon taking LSD, I have never experienced anything that has allowed me to accept reality, good, bad, pretty or ugly, the way LSD has allowed me to do.

Darkness Falls, Rick and Morty Begins

Around 5 p.m. darkness starts to fall and we head to our mosquito screened bed. Both of us are feeling fairly normal, but with some mild euphoria and an overall sense of wellbeing. We fire up the laptop to watch some pre-sleep Rick & Morty. In the OSA, where electricity is limited and things are very dark by 7pm, we have been falling asleep shortly after dark. 90 minutes of Rick & Morty on the tail end of LSD is one heck of a good way to spend 90 minutes.

rick+morty.jpeg

Rick & Morty & LSD?
Yes, Please.

It's nearly bedtime, but I decide to make a quesadilla, despite not really being hungry. But it struck me that our groundskeepers dog has been visiting every night at dinner time, and it seems somehow wrong not to cook dinner so he can have some scraps. I fire up the grill, and shortly thereafter the hound appears. I give him some snacks, and eat a small dinner. And then close my eyes to sleep at 8 pm, 10 hours after our experience started.

And there are fireworks when I close my eyes. And I fall asleep with these tiny silent fireworks to entertain, and have lucid psychedelic dreams throughout the night.

A perfect experience.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_lsd
substancecode_lysergamides
explevel_experienced
exptype_positive
exptype_glowing
roacode_sublingual

Last edited by a moderator:
What a nice report - I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, excellent report. In 2000 I went to Costa Rica in May to see String Cheese Incident with 1000 other people. Hippies and freakers. :D We invaded a village called Quepos for 11 days. People brought bud, mint droppers of acid and we had a great time. The 2 concerts were on a Fri and Sat night. Miraculously in this time period you could expect a downpour one night and clear skies the next. But the night of the concerts the locals were even amazed that it was two nights in a row of clear skies.

A couple of funny stories. The week before the shows most of the village had tie dies walking around. The locals loved it. We went on a few of the outdoor outfits. One was the Rainforest Canopy. (not tripping that day) You literally swing through trees on ropes and land on these rotted pieces of wood in the trees that is about 200 feet off the ground. It was terrifying. It even shut up one of our friends who would not shut up. He liked none of it because of the danger. Well the guides, who were Costa Rican had a good time screwing with us and laughing. They got their shit off on us. I remembered two of them. The locals were invited to the shows for free. On the Friday show I see the two tour guides at the show, eyes dilated and face sprinkled with glitter. They remembered us and were happy to see us. So some hippies got their shit off on them now. :D They were happy and loved it though. (I would never dose someone unknowingly, but maybe they consented.)

Another story, hiking though some rain forest in Manuel Antonio Park. A bunch of us took acid that morning and headed out too hike. Fantastic day it was. At one point we heard a large ominous growl to the left of us. It was chilling but we decided it was our friend Bill screwing with us. So we didn't worry as it continued and got closer. Well as we are exiting the trails we still hear it but our friend Bill was already on the beach so it could not have been him. God that was funny.

Tripping in Costa Rica is still the finest part of my life. Seeing gangs of monkeys running through trees. We even saw a huge snake hanging down from a branch in a tree. The concerts were excellent and the locals were crying when we were leaving. Best time of my life. This trip was 90 days after I kicked a 3 year poppy pod habit. I was feeling good by then and this just solidified how good I felt. I even stayed off the tea for a year. :)

Last edited:
This was indeed an excellent trip report.

Jackaroe, I also enjoyed your story. I saw over 20 cheese shows in 2000 and had some friends at those shows. I wore the tapes out. Very jealous you made that trek.

Hey trippingly, thanks for sharing, great report, and I appreciate the pictures. :) Just FYI, we have changed your username slightly and also removed the external links to your website because we don't allow spam/advertising for other sites on Bluelight. However the report is well-written and we appreciate your sharing it. :) Hope you stick around. If you post your other experiences in here, please feel free to edit the links back in to point at the threads posted in here. We just don't want Bluelight used as an advertisement for someone's blog, I hope you understand.

Great stories. We stayed at one of the little motels right at the mouth of the Manuel Antonio park. Went in right when it opened and had it all to ourselves and a local guide. That guy had eyes I couldn't believe.... would see insects on trees 100 feet off the path, and pull out his little scope!

We stayed in some bungalow near Manuel Antonio park also. There was a private beach. And again, this was all with people also partying, tripping and having a good time. :) I remember the sloths, the crabs that walked up the beach in large groups. I even got bit in the stomach by some fish.

Good memories. Your story brought it all back.

Yeah, good stuff! :)

We all get older, but remaining young at heart is something that is so characteristic of swirly psychedelic folks! :D