• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

What is the mechanism behind 4-Br-3,5-DMA's effects?

malmet

Greenlighter
This is one of the strangest entries in PiHKAL, and one without much detail. From the structure it looks like it should be a highly potent psychedelic, but it's described as acting as a peripheral anesthetic, devoid of psychoactivity.

I ask because I was recently gifted a sample of the phenethylamine analog (4-Br-3,5-DMPEA), and want to be especially cautious about titrating this one up if there is any chance that it exhibits similar peripheral anesthetic properties rather than psychedelia, and if there is any chance the peripheral anesthesia reflects some sort of toxic effect.

As a very, very rough target dose, using the only source (https://doi.org/10.1016/0024-3205(77)90099-6) I could find for any biological testing of this phenethylamine at all, I took a look at the serotonergic activities of several psychedelics on sheep umbilical artery strips and extrapolated from the activity to a human dose (e.g. mescaline has normalized activity = 1 and a human dose of, say, 300mg, so an extrapolated proscaline dose, for activity = 3.63, would be 83mg). This gives about 40mg for 4-Br-3,5-DMPEA, so I was considering 10mg as an initial trial. It's not a great way to estimate a dose but it's all I can find. I don't mind being much more cautious to maximize safety (starting <1mg for example), but it would be nice to save a little time on the titration.
I know it's a shot in the dark, but if anyone would know how to approach this compound, it would be here.

Thanks.

If i were you id start much lower than 1mg. Id rather waste a bit of time than ODing on a completely unknown drug

I like the 10mg trip report. You'd have to be a special kind of fucked up to take psychedelics and then stick yourself with needles for no apparent reason other than to see what would happen.

Great idea.

Obviously you're not going to drop dead from taking it. It's not like the compound is totally structurally novel and has never been tested before.

If you want to take 40mg go right ahead but just don't complain if it makes you go out and start picking fights with bikers for a "good time".

This one has fascinated me since I first read PiHKAL. I can't wait for a 1st person assay&#55357;&#56832;