• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Methadone and low testosterone

r3flex0

Greenlighter
So was tested for low t and I do have it and I have confirmed that the methadone I'm taking is the source. I'm at 80mg and the only way to boost my testosterone is to taper the methadone because if I use pharmaceuticals my doctor said I'd have to take it for the rest of my life even when I'm finally off the done. I guess this is because my body will let the low t injection take over and stop producing on its own. So my question is has anyone else experienced this and what did they do if they did. The low t has killed my sex drive, It's affecting my mood (I get agitated easily which is unusual for me), and it's also really fucking my sleep up some days. I'm just looking for advice on what other people who had this problem did. I'm obviously gonna start tapering because I'm only 27 I don't want to live life without the adequate amount of testosterone. I have to get off the methadone. Also does anyone know if subs do the same thing?

Methadone only leads to low t in certain individuals. Opioids in generally will do this in populations vulnerable to low t. It may or may not be as much an issue with buprenorphine as methadone. I haven't seen much research on testosterone levels with buprenorphine.

That said, buprenorphine will probably be incredibly helpful for your transitioning off methadone, which is what it sounds like is what you want to do.

How long have you been on methadone?

I'm going to move this to Sober Living so I can keep an eye on it. I have been in a very, very similar situation. Plus it's a little more geared towards this specific topic, tapering methadone I mean.

No requirement to being on or off methadone (or necessarily even other drugs) to post in SL. It's just a place for people who are interested in reducing harm and promoting sobriety/recovery (which may or may not include total abstinence).

OD->SL

How low test level are you talking about? if you are in the low category of low test level exercise etc might bring your sex drive left. Opioids in general cause low test, did you have low test level before methadone but while on other opioids?

Did you get your test level tested before your started on methadone? Otherwise I cannot really think of and method doctors can use to say that methadone is the definite cause of your low test level. Without a pre methadone test you cannot know if you might suffer from low test due to other endogenous or exogenous sources. How old are you?

There is scientific proof that methadone does influence test levels in men, not how much methadone can influence test though.
And should you choose to take test pharmaceutially you have to take it for several years before your own endogenouss test production will not restart again. But no matter what, having to take one drug, because of another drug one is doing is never a pretty solution.

There is much less scientific studies avaiable about the side affects of bup than there is for methadone due to how new the use of bup is. But as buprenorphine is a partial mu receptor agonist, and not a full agonist like methadone one could hypothesize that there could be less side effects of bup. And the few studies there is tend to show to though more and better studies are needed, but
"A clinical trial (2) compared methadone to buprenorphine regarding their effect on Erectile Dysfunction (ED) and hormone levels. They found that men on Methadone Maintenance Treatment (MMT), but not Buprenorphine Maintenance Treatment (BMT), had high prevalence of ED, related to hypogonadism and depression. However, this study is limited by the small sample size. Another study (3) showed that patients treated with buprenorphine had a significantly higher testosterone level (P < 0.0001) and a significantly lower frequency of sexual dysfunction (P < 0.0001) compared with patients treated with methadone. Again this study was limited by the small sample size" (Fareed, 2012).

The quoted study is named Hypogonadism and Low Testosterone Levels as a Side Effect of Methadone and Buprenorphine, author as stated.

How low test level are you talking about? if you are in the low category of low test level exercise etc might bring your sex drive left. Opioids in general cause low test, did you have low test level before methadone but while on other opioids?

Did you get your test level tested before your started on methadone? Otherwise I cannot really think of and method doctors can use to say that methadone is the definite cause of your low test level. Without a pre methadone test you cannot know if you might suffer from low test due to other endogenous or exogenous sources. How old are you?

There is scientific proof that methadone does influence test levels in men, not how much methadone can influence test though.
And should you choose to take test pharmaceutially you have to take it for several years before your own endogenouss test production will not restart again. But no matter what, having to take one drug, because of another drug one is doing is never a pretty solution.

There is much less scientific studies avaiable about the side affects of bup than there is for methadone due to how new the use of bup is. But as buprenorphine is a partial mu receptor agonist, and not a full agonist like methadone one could hypothesize that there could be less side effects of bup. And the few studies there is tend to show to though more and better studies are needed, but
"A clinical trial (2) compared methadone to buprenorphine regarding their effect on Erectile Dysfunction (ED) and hormone levels. They found that men on Methadone Maintenance Treatment (MMT), but not Buprenorphine Maintenance Treatment (BMT), had high prevalence of ED, related to hypogonadism and depression. However, this study is limited by the small sample size. Another study (3) showed that patients treated with buprenorphine had a significantly higher testosterone level (P < 0.0001) and a significantly lower frequency of sexual dysfunction (P < 0.0001) compared with patients treated with methadone. Again this study was limited by the small sample size" (Fareed, 2012).

The quoted study is named Hypogonadism and Low Testosterone Levels as a Side Effect of Methadone and Buprenorphine, author as stated.

Outstanding post!

Sorry, I can't contain myself super well right now when I see rationalism at it's finest like this :)

I tried testosterone replacement therapy. For me it was not a good idea. While I took it, I got really angry very easily over minor nuisances, and my levels were just barely in the normal range with it. That was so out of character for me that I knew the testosterone was causing it. I stopped it and my mood returned to "normal easy going me" within a week.

It may not be an option for you to stop, but when I stopped the methadone I was taking, I had my levels checked and they were normal again after one month clean of methadone - and my mood stayed "mellow" even with testosterone levels going up some. Exercise does help testosterone levels, but only if you keep up the exercise (speaking from my own experience).

Dale

I haven't had my testesterone checked ever but I did grow man tits during the 3 years I was on methodone. I recently switched from 50mg of methadone to 16mg of Suboxone. It wasn't seamless and I don't feel as good as I did on methodone but it hasn't been horrible either. Well the initial switch was horrible and I don't see how precipitated withdrawal can be avoided without a short acting opiate as a buffer between the methadone and sub. I could of planned the whole thing better for sure.

Now that I'm on Suboxone I do have more sex drive but my depression is way worse.

^that sounds like my experience with buprenorphine :(

Hang in there cj <3

I tried testosterone replacement therapy. For me it was not a good idea. While I took it, I got really angry very easily over minor nuisances, and my levels were just barely in the normal range with it. That was so out of character for me that I knew the testosterone was causing it. I stopped it and my mood returned to "normal easy going me" within a week.

It may not be an option for you to stop, but when I stopped the methadone I was taking, I had my levels checked and they were normal again after one month clean of methadone - and my mood stayed "mellow" even with testosterone levels going up some. Exercise does help testosterone levels, but only if you keep up the exercise (speaking from my own experience).

Dale

Also something I experienced. I had no idea how crazy my libido would get after coming off methadone. I was basically insanely horny for a year or two after getting off. Seems to be mellowing out, finally.

Still, an adult at my age... what can you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your comments toothpastedog :)

I myself is on 140 mg methadone plus 160 mg oxycodone each day, therefore I need to think about these things. Plus before I get my injuries I was taking testosterone and other things to supplement for training as such I have extensive knowledge about kickstarting ones own test after having taken exogenous test.

There is no doubt that my sexdrive is very low. But it have been so for 10 years soon as I have been living with depression in that entire period and the depression itself meant low sex drive.

Methodone kinda "saved my life" as that meant I could take what I am prescripbed and nothing else. My mood increased significant after I started on methadone so I fear stopping entirely and methadone. However it is a complicated matter as I am both an addict as well as a pain patient, so I dont think I can manage living without some pain medication (of the narcotic kind), but 140 mg methadone is obviously way more than a pain patient needs.

Damn, sounds like you have been around the block. I'd be really interested to hear more about your own journey Ignio. It's not a demand mind you, but if you're ever bored and wanted to created a thread to share something about your journey, I certainly would enjoy reading more about your story.

Somehow I imagine others would also enjoy ;)

No pressure though, just me musing and eating some CBD with my lunchtime coffee %)

I think that I should just taper to 30 mg or so and switch to suboxone and see how things go from there from what you guys are saying. If it doesnt increase my testosterone and help my side effects from it then I should just get off the opioids altogether. My current dose is 80mg (sometimes I take more) and ive been on it for about 5 years. The weight gain is the worst . Ive gained about 60 pounds since being on methadone. It has caused me to be prone to diabetes. Thanks for the help and insight btw.

Last edited:
The lower you taper before switching to sub the better. Also I would put an opiate in between the methadone and Suboxone. Like oxycodone if you can get it

I think that I should just taper to 30 mg or so and switch to suboxone and see how things go from there from what you guys are saying. If it doesnt increase my testosterone and help my side effects from it then I should just get off the opioids altogether. My current dose is 80mg (sometimes I take more) and ive been on it for about 5 years. The weight gain is the worst . Ive gained about 60 pounds since being on methadone. It has caused me to be prone to diabetes. Thanks for the help and insight btw.

That sounds like a good plan. You can always try doing some more light aerobic exercise as you taper down. Just try not to rush your taper so it doesn't get unnecessarily uncomfortable.

And cj makes good points.

The lower you can get on the methadone before switching, the better the buprenorphine will work. Comfort meds between the methadone and buprenorphine are also a really really good idea, because you'll have to go without methadone a few days before you can safely induct on buprenorphine.

Again, the lower you get on the methadone the easier the transition to buprenorphine will be.