• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Weed withdrawal

K8theGr8

Greenlighter
I have smoked weed daily for the last 12 years of my life. I had a high tolerance and could take dabs like nobody?s business. I found out last Friday that am pregnant for the first time and quit cold turkey. I am now desperate to feel better but weed was always my fix-all. My anxiety is out of control. I can barely get up, and I just feel like I?m having a heart attack. I can?t keep food down, and everywhere I go I just sweat and feel like I?m going to faint. (I understand that some of his could be exacerbated by the fact I?m pregnant.) It?s embarassing and I feel ridiculous. All this because of weed!? I know people go through so much worse with other drugs. I was just looking for some insight from someone who has gone through this. How long did it last? It?s been a week now, but i was fine for the first three days or so. I can deal with everything else but the anxiety is what is killing me. I suffer from anxiety issues and take Zoloft and my doctor said there is nothing else they can do. I can?t take Xanax cuz of the pregnancy. I just want to be able to breathe. I consider myself a yogi and this addiction is stronger than that. I have tried to force myself to do yoga and breathing exercises but I always end up curled back up in the fetal position. My brain doesn?t feel anxious, just my body! I am excited I am pregnant but I can?t feel it because my anxiety is taking over my life. I couldn?t work these last two days because I feel like the walls are closing in on me. Any help? I can?t keep food down.

Thanks,
Kate

Have you done research on marijuana use and pregnancy that has given you a reason you need to quit?

I am male and haven't even considered there would be an issue until I read your post. In looking on the web I find a lot of information pointing to women using weed during pregnancy to help with morning sickness etc. I'm not a doctor but I'm going to suggest you may wish to take your fears of marijuana during pregnancy to a doctor and have a thoughtful moment with someone who isn't a druggy on a drug harm reduction site.

I am not educated enough on your specifics or pregnancy issues like can delta 9 THC pass through to a fetus? See a doctor that has knowledge of marijuana and pregnancy, certainly do a Google search and learn what, if anything, should be feared by marijuana vs using random pharmaceuticals during pregnancy.

I appreciate it. I have done a lot of research, and of course it is mixed. I?ve just made the personal decision to not smoke while pregnant, and I additionally would like to breastfeed. Blehhhh. Right now I?d just like to breathe!

If pregnancy isn't really the main concern but it's just a decision to cease use after 12 years of daily use I don't see any reason to expect much beyond the usual week to 10 days of cold like symptoms. A few people have it easier and some have it worse but nothing really terrible to expect.

Weed withdrawal has been overdiscussed in past threads so I won't get into it but you can put your anxiety down a notch knowing it just takes a while to break any habit.

These symptoms sound like they are from the pregnancy not marijuana, and you should talk to your doctor about them as they may be able to lessen the bad time you're having, and prevent any issues from worsening slowly and then presenting themselves in the future.

Hi Kate
Welcome.
It sounds like you already spoke to your doctor regarding anxiety and they say Zoloft is all they can give you while pregnant?

I whole heartedly AGREE with your decision TO cease use of the marijuana during pregnancy and breastfeeding. It's most definately safer all around to expose the baby to the Least amount of substances possible.
I think the anxiety is most likely withdrawl related and will lessen over time. Keep trying with the yoga and breathing exercises and as suggested above, remind yourself that its only temporary.

My daughter (23) suffers from pretty bad anxiety. She does not use medications for it. She allows the panic TO come and to pass. She cries and gets the feelings OUT. takes deep breaths remembering to breathe in for 4 seconds thru the nose and out for 4 seconds thru her mouth
It's very difficult at first and esp during a full blown panic episode but just being Mindful of the counting and having that TO focus on seems to help a great deal. She also does the following :

--- call mom
---- cry
---- remind yourself it's only a feeling. It's an emotional response to stress . It will pass. It's not deadly. It's only a feeling. Let it come and let it pass.
---- lean on your partner (*if you have one ) physically and emotionally. Go ahead and cry on his / her shoulder. If not a partner then a close trusted friend who makes you feel safe n secure.

---- shut out the "what ifs " and uncertainties that try creeping in during an attack. Say, "I'm safe. I'm fine. Nothing bad is happening to me. I can focus on now. Now
Now."
---- say prayers (*if you are comfortable ) or repeat slow easy calming thoughts

I hope some of this helps. Im sure others with marijuana experience will chime in here as well
Try NOT to let anyone convince you it's ok to use--- you've decided its not ok for the time being. That was your instinct as a mommy -to- be and I hope you're able to stick to it.
Also : CONGRATULATIONS! !!!

The absolute happiest and healthiest times of my life were the years I was pregnant n having my kiddos. I was preg during some part of EVERY year , from 1993-1999
Congratulations! Bless you n the little one
Peace Strength & Wellness!

--- Fox