• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Anticholenergic drugs like Benadryl / Diphenhydramine linked to dementia

Yep. Don't take them daily or stick to 2nd gen antihistamines and you'll be fine. Fascinating (and horrifying) study, though

Dipenhydramine is not great long term or regularly for sure. I was using it way too often to sleep and then I also used that when I attempted suicide... I took so much that I was drowsy for two weeks. I had to have my mom come up for basically a week during that time to make sure I was okay and whatnot.
I generally avoid dipenhydramine because, of course, it reminds me of my suicide attempt. But besides that, I'd also avoid them as there are so many other options. For sleeping I was able to get prescription medication that is much more effective anyway.
Good link though, because a lot of people just take meds they can buy anywhere just whenever they want like it isn't an issue at all when, in fact, it can be a bit of an issue.

Really not surprising. Let's stop giving out real medicines though and call this for anxiety.

For the sake of entertainment, diphenhydramine was, I believe, the first spotted SSRI of which presumably Prozac was built off of.