• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How to quit Adderall cold turkey?

Csa90

Greenlighter
I?ve been prescribed Adderall and Vyvanse for about 15 years. At 70mg vyvanse right now. Long story short, I moved and have to stop taking it cold turkey with only 2 left, so tapering is not an option. My body is dependent on it, so I want off anyways. Trying to skip just one day gives me terrible withdrawal symptoms. And inpatient detox is not an option because I?m a new foster parent trying to adopt and I can?t mess that up. I don?t know how I?m going to function or make it through work. How can I quit cold turkey and live somewhat normal and fight through the withdrawl symptoms? Is there anything over the counter to help?
(This is my first post, I hope I did it right)
Thanks in advance!

Yours is a good news bad news scenario. The good news is that the physical side of stimulant withdrawals are mild, comparatively, to GABAergic drugs (benzos, barbiturates and alcohol) and opiates, but the bad news is that doesn't mean it isn't unpleasant. Consulting a doctor is always the best course of action because they can mitigate the physical symptoms depending on how bad they are. OTC sleep aids can help you through the insomnia and Pepto-Bismol if you experience nausea/cramping etc. For the psychological side, the best thing I can recommend is to just take it easy and take care of yourself. That includes avoiding psychological stress, eating well etc. all the usual things people recommend for WDs of any sort.

^Agreed.

I?ve been prescribed Adderall and Vyvanse for about 15 years. At 70mg vyvanse right now. Long story short, I moved and have to stop taking it cold turkey with only 2 left, so tapering is not an option. My body is dependent on it, so I want off anyways. Trying to skip just one day gives me terrible withdrawal symptoms. And inpatient detox is not an option because I?m a new foster parent trying to adopt and I can?t mess that up. I don?t know how I?m going to function or make it through work. How can I quit cold turkey and live somewhat normal and fight through the withdrawl symptoms? Is there anything over the counter to help?
(This is my first post, I hope I did it right)
Thanks in advance!

I haven't dealt with amphetamine detox myself, but from what I understand sleep, eating, exercise (of any kind basically, hopefully not to strenuous but enough to get you at little sweaty), and taking care of yourself psychologically. And getting help to take care of yourself however your needs dictate.

With enough rest you'll be fine.

Why are/were you taking Adderall?

It's not a drug that has physical withdrawal symptoms. I quit for a few weeks every now and then and do it cold turkey. It's absolutely worth it.

Not saying it's not going to suck. I feel completely unmotivated and a severe brain fog for a couple of days.

What I do:
Lots of quality sleep
Healthy diet with plenty of lean protein and leafy greens
If you're into lifting/exercise it always seems to help me.
ALCAR, citocoline, and L-tyrosine definitely ease the symptoms. Also, they are healthy for neurotransmitters. I would also supplement with 5-htp before bed.

And avoiding situations that may make you want to take it. Like high stress at your job etc.. Try and take a few vacation days.

I had physical withdrawal symptoms from it before. My whole body hurt, throwing up, constantly sleeping & unable to keep my eyes open, slurred speech, and couldn?t move around much. I think it?s wherw I?ve been on such a high dose for so many years for ADHD. I?ll definitely try some vitamins and excercise and I hope it?ll help. My concentration is already terrible with the ADHD, I?m afraid with the symptoms of coming off of it it?ll be impossible to work, keep up with the house, & keep up with the kids. It?ll be at least another month or two until I can see a doctor about safer alternatives ?

Having kicked 8mg a day of clonzapam, and IV heroin more than once each, it's nothing.
Sometimes after days of adderal and Vyvanse (140 Vyvanse and 20 of adderall) I feel depressed, or tired and sometimes I'm fine.
IMO more of an emotional and psychological thing.

Feeling tired, depressed and moody should be the worst of it which can thoroughly suck. With the right type of self care including excercise after you have 4-7 days off should be one of the most helpful things you could do.

I would try and find an herb store near you. CBD for cravings, valerian root for sleep, 5htp for depression and some caffeinated tea for daytime sleepiness. The list goes on and on. Talk to an herbalist.

Maybe speak with a medical professional. I think I have heard of gabapentin being used for meth addiction. Thing is plenty of the meds they might prescribe you could potentially cause worse WD's then the stimulants.

I always quit stimulants cold turkey and never really looked back. I can only imagine how bad the fatigue and depression could be after 15 years.