Bluelight

Thread: Roseanne cancelled after racist tweet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger&Me View Post
    I'm playing devil's advocate here. But I've taken drugs which have made me act in ways I would never act sober. For example, the reason I never take Xanax is because when I was prescribed it in the past, I would get the urge to shoplift things for no reason whatsoever. Even if I didn't want the thing and had money. And I've never stolen anything while sober, nor while drunk, nor while high on any other drug, in my entire life. On the contrary, I actually have a deep and visceral dislike for thievery in general. But maybe, deep down, every human being has a desire to get stuff for free. And with sufficiently lowered inhibitions, maybe even the most well-socialized and law-abiding person could decide to commit theft.

Do I think Roseanne is a racist? Absolutely. But it also irks me that people just assume that everything somebody does while high or drunk is "their true feelings coming out." It's not always that simple when you grossly perturb the function of the brain with powerful pharmacological agents. There can be so many shades of grey there.

That being said, I'm grooving on my schadenfreude feels right now. Roseanne is gross.
    z-drugs, benzos, downers, dissociatives, psychedelics, methamphetamine especially can cause insidiously bizarre behavior.

I think most people are overreacting (she lost her show, do we need to strap her to a pole, light her on fire and start chanting "BURN WITCH!" )

2. Collapse Details

Sports & Gaming
    Well twitter always overreacts to everything. Twitter mobs and all that. I don't feel that bad for Roseanne though...she will get some kind of new gig out of this. Trust me. And I still think theres a chance the whole thing was orchestrated... her tweet yesterday about "POTUS has to go through this every single day" was her blatantly reaching out to all the Trump supporters.

and on the ambien thing... i've not seen any evidence that this drug can cause your brain to formulate incredibly specific racist comments out of thin air.

3. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Life Advice & Visual Arts
    Other Drugs
    Drugs in the Media
    Quote Originally Posted by JGrimez View Post
    UA'd post: Hypocrisy Alert! Wanda Sykes... Quits Roseanne Show...!
    Racism can be hard to understand for someone blinded by the hegemony of whiteness.

Quote Originally Posted by mal3volent View Post
    and on the ambien thing... i've not seen any evidence that this drug can cause your brain to formulate incredibly specific racist comments out of thin air.
    If anything drugs like zolpidem lower inhibitions. If this did come as a result of her use of Ambien, that's just more damning as far as I'm concerned.

Ambien doesn't make someone racist, but it does lower their inhibitions. By lowering one's inhibitions, it just makes it more likely someone's conditioning and biases more easily comes to the fore and they don't have the wherewithal to hide/cover it up.

In her case it would seem racism is the bias of the day. It can be very interesting (and sad sometimes) to see what comes out when one isn't protected by a layer of normal inhibition.

Assuming it is Ambien related, I find it interesting it was racism was the conditioning that came to the fore.

Doesn't really surprise me though. "Luckily" racism is still popular in the US, so this should help her with any future foray into politics.
    Last edited by cduggles; 31-05-2018 at 20:31. Reason: Just editing out some UA'd stuff.

4. Collapse Details

Current Events and Politics
    Post UA'd per CE&P Forum Guideline #9
    Last edited by cduggles; 31-05-2018 at 20:34. Reason: Content of TPD's post edited to remove info as well.

5. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Life Advice & Visual Arts
    Other Drugs
    Drugs in the Media
    Thanks Cdugz

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by alasdairm View Post
    i don't think it's a case of out of touch with mainstream reality.

for me, the mainstream reality is that trump has emboldened this kind of racism, at least to an extent.

alasdair
    I consider Trumpism and extreme racism to be deviations or mainstream reality themselves. Most people don't hold those types of views, nor do most people support Trump, for that matter. A significant portion of our population simply doesn't vote or was uninspired by the Democratic candidate, while a vocal and politically active minority was made even more active by a candidate who openly reflected their values.

Point is, election an accurate measure of where a population as a whole stands politically. While more subtle forms of racism resulting from ignorance and cognitive bias are certainly still characteristics of the population at large, more extreme, overt racist viewpoints are only shared by a significant minority of the population.

Trump has certainly emboldened extremist racist factions, and placed their views right back in the limelight. Which might present somebody like Rossanne with the illusion that her viewpoints are shared by a significant enough percentage of the population to make her views acceptable.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Roger&Me View Post
    I'm playing devil's advocate here. But I've taken drugs which have made me act in ways I would never act sober. For example, the reason I never take Xanax is because when I was prescribed it in the past, I would get the urge to shoplift things for no reason whatsoever. Even if I didn't want the thing and had money. And I've never stolen anything while sober, nor while drunk, nor while high on any other drug, in my entire life. On the contrary, I actually have a deep and visceral dislike for thievery in general. But maybe, deep down, every human being has a desire to get stuff for free. And with sufficiently lowered inhibitions, maybe even the most well-socialized and law-abiding person could decide to commit theft.

Do I think Roseanne is a racist? Absolutely. But it also irks me that people just assume that everything somebody does while high or drunk is "their true feelings coming out." It's not always that simple when you grossly perturb the function of the brain with powerful pharmacological agents. There can be so many shades of grey there.

That being said, I'm grooving on my schadenfreude feels right now. Roseanne is gross.
    shoplifting at the supermarket is pretty dope, you should give it a shot m8

8. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Ive got a feeling the show was going to sink and her tweet was athe moment taken to get out of losing money.

If she had have been someone more valuable then hey -the network would just wave their magic wand and the story would go away.

* Im pretty sure she was wasted and just didnt think, but its reassuring even stars are accountable for their actions/words.

Its a stupid show, it sucks for everyone else so I hope they can sue her.

9. Collapse Details

Sports & Gaming
    Apparently she "begged" ABC not to cancel. Again, she's not stupid enough to think a big wig network exec would change their mind like that. Now Samantha Bee is under fire for calling Ivanka a c*nt.

Roseannes far from done. She will end up getting something out of this. Something where she will enjoy more and won't have to walk on eggshells. Again I think this was her intent from the start.

10. Collapse Details

11. Collapse Details

After the show's cancellation, Roseanne deleted her tweets about the "Ambien" defense and kept going off. She isn't repentent anymore.

Roseanne Returns To Twitter, Apologizes, Retweets New Attacks On Valerie Jarrett

Actually, I don't think Roseanne expected to be fired. She had a long history of controversy, including offensive tweets. I can't believe that anyone familiar with her was completely shocked that this happened.

ABC canceled Roseanne?s show over a racist tweet. Her feed?s been full of racism and conspiracy theories for a decade.

Imo, she had previously been such a powerful force in Hollywood with a v successful and groundbreaking show on the original series that she just had no idea that she couldn't behave however she wanted anymore, particularly on a platform like Twitter.

Twitter didn't exist during the first run of her show. Tweets can reach so many more people than a press release or a news item, and it can expose novel and perhaps negative aspects of a celebrity's personality. I don't think she had sufficient familiarity with the combination of fame and social media outreach potential.

Then people can react in protest to something immediately in large numbers with their tweets. And so on.

And props to the original show, of which I've only seen a few reruns, but I thought it was clever. It's likely a tarnished legacy, but she was on the cutting edge at the time.
    The Enduring Legacy of Roseanne, 30 Years Later

12. Collapse Details

Sports & Gaming
    Yeah I fuckin loved the old show. I'll continue to watch the old box sets I have. So good.

RIP the old Roseanne.

13. Collapse Details

Not to derail, but I think Roseanne is getting punished (with a lot of collateral damage) sufficiently.

For example, Jerry Seinfeld changed his mind about being able to enjoy Cosby albums when talking to Stephen Colbert.

Roseanne was offensive. But it isn't as if people have come forward and said she drugged and raped them.

So I think her legacy shouldn't be irreparably damaged.

14. Collapse Details

I actually don't care that much about the racist comment. As far as racist and potentially racist comments go I'd call it on the milder side. But I do have pretty negative feelings towards conspiracy theory, and substantially worse feelings towards the antivax varieties. So if the human social hive mind shuts her down, i'm pretty happy with that. I can't support the actual censorship of free speech by government, but I'm totally on board with this sort of democratic removal of their spotlight.

15. Collapse Details

HAs anyone ever wandered into the comments after articles in foxnews.com? This is what conservatives really think. When people say that not all conservatives are racist...I ask them why aren't those people posting in foxnews comments

16. Collapse Details

Because they don't feel like posting there? Saying all conservatives are racist is like saying all liberals are bleeding heart sjws and really serves no purpose.

17. Collapse Details

Fox News is a parody of its former self. I still watch a couple of shows but it's really gone downhill.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nuttynutskin View Post
    Because they don't feel like posting there? Saying all conservatives are racist is like saying all liberals are bleeding heart sjws and really serves no purpose.
    That's a heck of a coincidence. I guess the registration to post on allows racist posters and ppl quoting bible verses.

19. Collapse Details

What?

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nuttynutskin View Post
    What?
    *Only allows ppl that are racist or quote bible verses...because that's basically 100 percent of the posts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12