• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Insect thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
Post anything insect related... Insects native to where you live, interesting facts, or just insects in general.

Been seeing these guys a few times since the weather is warmer...

Rice weevil
8645605480_a24e6a3996_b.jpg

Rice-Weevil.jpg

Only seen em' a couple times and haven't seen any in food so I just put them outside.

253527_4d73e345c9e0bc1daee80824f390534769f9089c.jpg_facebook.jpg

House centipedes make me want to kill myself when they spook me while smoking meth one time one legit crawled on my meth bag and i had to wait 2 hours 2 fucking hours to redose cuz i aint touchign tht shit

Rainbow grasshopper...

rainbow_grasshopper_by_rollyb66-d7jx5r4.jpg

d60a1eb482372b764b9844ca923128de.jpg

I had less colorful nasty versions of these in my yard one year. After they mature, they are next to impossible to kill. The University of Florida agricultural extension recommended cutting off their heads with garden shears, but I just paid some maladjusted, sadistic neighborhood kids to stomp on them.

What were they doing, eating your garden or something? I couldn't kill 'em. Too cool looking.

Yeah the ones in my yard were not cool looking. They were black and shiny like something out of a bad science fiction horror movie, and yes, they are hell on landscaping. There was a German roach in the middle of my kitchen while I was vacuuming a few minutes ago. Looked like it could have been laying eggs but then again dog could have gotten to it and it could have just been leaking guts. Wasn't special enough to stop my housecleaning to take a picture. Anyway if it was laying eggs, mother and children were mercilessly sucked up into my Dirt Devil. Not a big surprise that one found its way inside after all the rain we've been having.

Depending on where they are, I can handle insects, depending on where they are. In nature I can dig them. In my house,etc, no way. Cool thread.

I would run on these cross country trails through these woods close to my apartment building when I was a graduate student in Tallahassee and I ran face first into one of these fuckers. They're less scary than they look, and their bite isn't venomous, but I can tell you from firsthand experience they hurt like a motherfucker.

30rppo4.jpg

About ten years ago I commuted down to Florida Gulf Coast University for a semester to fill in for someone who was promoted to Assistant Dean and for miles down US Highway 17, you could see these spiders and their ginormous webs stretched between parallel power lines. Again, like something out of a science fiction horror movie.

You're an arse nutty! ;)

Some of those bugs are very pretty.

Lol @ tpd.

Bugg

I can't post videos clips when on my phone.

Ahhh that spider is way too big for me to be comfortable around. As a kid I was really, really terrified of spiders to the point that if one dropped in front of me, even a little one, or was on me, I would suddenly find myself running and screaming and pumping with adrenaline without realizing what had happened. These days I like them and I never kill them but I find them repulsive in addition to beautiful, something about the way they move and look is really repugnant to me.

Here is a photo I took of a mite on a piece of wood in my yard, I've always liked it:

MXnkHPc.jpg

Also a butterfly from a hike:

8Hr5J0ih.jpg

Had one of these guys I put out about 3 times. Damn thing kept coming back inside...

trapdoor_oregon_heather.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.