• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Claims of wild lettuce & its recreational value

ChaosControl

Greenlighter
Can anyone substantiate the claims that Wild Lettuce effectively acts as a hallucinogenic and/or opioid?

Wild Lettuce (sometimes referred to as "opium lettuce" although it doesn't contain any actual opium) is a little-understood and hard-to-find herb these days.

I have tried two forms of it and neither one seemed to do anything for me personally, but I wish that it grew around here because I would like to work with the fresh herb.

One was in dried bulk form from a very reputable health food store where I have been getting all of my herbs/supplements/etc. for over 30 years. I brewed up some strong tea with it and also tried smoking a bowl or two, but didn't notice any effects.

The other one was a concentrated smokable resin that the local "head shop" carried for a very short time. Again I didn't feel anything, but I was also going through a *horrible* opioid withdrawal at the time so I don't think that anything would have helped a whole lot.

Wild lettuce is supposed to contain adenosine receptor agonists IIRC. Caffeine blocks these receptors - antagonizes them - and wild lettuce is supposed to activate them, giving you a stony/sleepy feeling. I tried it some years ago, and it did make me drowsy, but it's very weak. Also, since the compounds within it don't bind to opioid receptors, it won't alleviate opioid withdrawal.

I’ve only begun ingesting it (tea) and, while it takes an upper margin of dosage to have an effect on me generally speaking, I did feel some mild effects. Very mild. (But again, for some reason I always need the top dose; novocane, laughing gas, etc)

Almost like I didnt even notice, which for my needs was a good sign. I didn’t want to change, or drop out, I wanted to not feel chronic pain and not feel depressed.

I will say that I like the mild effects of Wild Lettuce; I feel normal.

Sounds weird but for a long time I’ve been taking anti-depressants to feel normal again, and I never have found “the magic bullet” ...

If you’re looking to get high, there are better(?) alternatives. If you looking for a pleasant experience, this might be it

Placebo...
There’s is absolutely nothing worse than some know it all junkie even uttering that stupid word. It’s only been written about in medical books for literally thousands of years and has an abundance of reports confirming it’s psychoactivity all across these kinds of sites because of placebo right? You can think whatever you want, I hope you stay a pompous a**, but for the rest of the community: IT’S IS NOT PLACEBO. Get off the hard drugs staff member. Two serious questions tho: what qualifications do you have to tell people wtf they are our aren’t experiencing? and how does it feel to be ten thousand percent wrong all while being so damn sure of your mental abilities?………..

Last edited:
There’s is absolutely nothing worse than some know it all junkie even uttering that stupid word. It’s only been written about in medical books for literally thousands of years and has an abundance of reports confirming it’s psychoactivity all across these kinds of sites because of placebo right? You can think whatever you want, I hope you stay a pompous a**, but for the rest of the community: IT’S IS NOT PLACEBO. Get off the hard drugs staff member. Two serious questions tho: what qualifications do you have to tell people wtf they are our aren’t experiencing? and how does it feel to be ten thousand percent wrong all while being so damn sure of your mental abilities?………..

While I agree this plant/s is psychoactive, and not just weakly so.. You’re coming off a little harsh. You’re entitled to your opinion but no need for the name calling.

-GC

I'll only answer your first question, while treating your second with the contempt it deserves.

The only qualification I have is my own personal experiences and I got fuck all out of it. Of course I can't tell people what they're experiencing - which is why I didn't. I was simply giving my opinion.

Is that OK with you?

Wild lettuce is yet another of the weak legal highs. Thousands of hippies have tried it over the decades I'm sure, and they all got the same thing. Mild high and or drowsiness. Seems a pleasant mild effect is reported anyway.

However...

I read on this board somewhere that wild lettuce is a very good opiate potentiator. Has anyone had a chance to try that? It might explain the lettuce "opium" thing.

I've never heard anyone claim it's a hallucinogen, only that it is somewhat sedative. Which it may very well be, after all, so is valerian root, and so are many other plants (kratom, datura, khat, ephedra... opium poppy, etc etc). Some plants are even good drugs, but I very much doubt wild lettuce is much of a recreational drug. It's possible that highly concentrated resin actually does have some effects, but I would bet my left testicle that they're nothing like actual opium... and I'd bet both testicles that it's not in any way hallucinogenic.

Didn't get much out of it as a mild sedative. Labrador tea is good for that though imo, as far as herbal teas go

Here’s the thing, just because something has some psychoactive properties does not mean it can’t also produce placebo effects.

True. Just because something is psychoactive doesn’t necessarily mean it’s recreational. I mean SSRIs are psychoactive and definitely not recreational.
Kanna is a SSRI with some recreational potential and it's not widely known. Just an example. I never took wild lettuce and can't really comment but I think if you make a strong enough extract you'll get effects. Even valerian is said to be active when extracted.

Kanna is a SSRI with some recreational potential and it's not widely known. Just an example. I never took wild lettuce and can't really comment but I think if you make a strong enough extract you'll get effects. Even valerian is said to be active when extracted.
That’s very true. I’ve never taken wild lettuce either. I was just making a point.

I’ve done potent Kanna extract though. Supposedly the best vendor too for Kanna extract and I wasn’t overly impressed. Very interesting pharmacological profile though.

Some ppl love it though. Just wasn’t that recreational for me but everyone is different biologically and how drugs affect them.

Yeah, I didn't get that promised MDMA like feeling from kanna extract either but it was a nice, relaxed mood lift & I was also dependent on the SNRI venlafaxine which likely abolishes effects and thought I'd have reacted better without it. SNRI also made me unable to trip on psychedelics. Kanna is great to quit antidepressants at least.

Last edited: