• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Suboxone and Oxycodone help

Kandy1679

Greenlighter
Hi everyone. I have been on Oxycodone 10/325 prescribed 3 times a day, for about 2 and a half years now. I have chronic pain so I started taking it for a reason. I of course have built a tolerance to it, so I started out taking 4 a day, and then I would run out at the end of the month and then go through withdrawal. This is happening every month. I am now to the point of taking 5 or 6 a day, because I don't feel them as much. A friend of mine takes suboxone, and she gave me some to help me through my withdrawal while waiting to get my prescription filled. I almost like the suboxone more, because I feel better for a good part of the day only taking that. She gives me 8mg strips, and cuts them into 8 pieces for me. I usually take 1 piece at 7 am, and then 2 pieces at 7pm. That works well for me. My question is, will doing this eventually make my tolerance to the oxy even higher? I know I have to wait a few days before taking my oxy after using subs, but I'm asking more about long term. Usually when I go through withdrawal, once I get my pills again, I feel them really strong and can easily just take 4 a day for a few weeks and then it starts not to work, but this time I took the sub for about a week and then went back on my oxy, and didn't feel it as strong. Thanks in advance :)

Have you thought about maybe just switching to buprenorphine? It's no oxy, but there may be some advantage to using that instead of a medication that you're constantly running out of.

Do you find that the suboxone works effectively for pain?

Thank you for responding Kaden. I have considered it, but it doesn't help as much as the oxy does. I thi k that once I can get some of my weight off (Which is what is effecting my knees and back hurting as bad as it is) the pain might be more manageable and then I can switch to just suboxone for awhile. My goal is to eventually get off of everything and just live a normal life again. I'm really not taking the oxy to get high, but when it starts to not work as well, I obviously end up taking more and more to help me feel better. It's a black hole I'm trying so hard not to get sucked into. I'm just worried that taking suboxone to help me get through the withdrawal every month will end up making my tolerance higher, and defeat everything I'm trying to do. My doctor almost finally prescribed me 4 oxy a day, but he wants to see how my pain is once my depression meds start kicking in. I recently started taking those again.

Use the search engine.

There are a million answers to this problem and we would all give you a different one. Finding threads where you can get a better sense of your situation is better than 15 people with 15 different responses.

It's not a question easily answered. If it was then you wouldn't have had to be..um..abrupt.

Ahh gotcha. Well that was a rude and uncalled for response! You don't know me, I don't understand why you have to act like that. I am new here, and I have no idea what I would even search, or if anyone has even been in my exact situation. This is a place to ask questions and get help is it not?

Can't say how using suboxone will affect your tolerance to other opioids, there are dosage comparison charts online but they are not all that accurate IMO. You'll probably need to get a feel for it and work that out yourself.

I consider buprenorphine to be very potent though, maybe if it is causing steep rise in tolerance, try lowering the dose a bit?

It's my understanding that you should give a few days between using oxy and buprenorphine as it can cancel out the effects of other opioids if it's still in your system. I'm not 100% about that though, there's a bit of conflicting information online.

Oh ok. I can look up the comparison charts online and see what I come up with. I only take I guess what would equivalent to 3mg a day of the suboxone, so it isn't very much. I did wait a few days in between, but I was just surprised how less effective my oxy was. I mean I still felt it, but not the way I usually do after being on nothing for 4 or 5 days. I am just trying to figure out how to get through the withdrawal every month without screwing up my tolerance and being in a worse situation. I have gotten to the point that I cannot tolerate withdrawal symptoms at all. This is all just so frustrating :(

Yes switching back and forth will raise your tolerance and eventually make it so neither of them work as well as they used to.
Also, you say you don’t take them to get high but are you sure? Of course you take them for pain, but is it maybe possible that you also take them for the high? I only ask because you said you now take 5-6 because you don’t feel them as much. If you aren’t taking them to get high, I don’t think you would be looking to ‘feel’ the medication, but only to not feel the pain as severely.

Either way though, if you want t feel the drugs more, you’re options are to either take a break (without suboxone covering you) and then go back to them, or to continue to raise your dose which will cause your tolerance to keep going up, keep you running out early and having to take subs to cover it then the subs will block your dose when you get the prescription filled and you’ll have to take more to break through.

This sounds like way to much to keep up with and if it were me, I would just take some time off the oxy to bring my tolerance down.

If you do keep taking the subs when your prescription runs out though, definitely try lowering your dose. I know people who were doing 1-3 grams a day of pretty good heroin, intravenously, and they could feel better on 4mg of suboxone.
If you’re doing 60mg of oxy a day, try taking a bit less sub and maybe only dose when you start feeling withdrawal from the last sub dose instead of on a twice a day schedule because the stuff does have a long half life and it build up a lot in your system, even over just a week

Ok yep that is what I am worried about. I don't want to end up needing to take crazy large amounts of oxy just to feel the effects of them. I can't afford it, and getting only 90 pills a month isn't going to make that realistically possible.

Well yes, of course I like the high, I just meant that I don't take 4 or 5 at a time, to the point that I am nodding off and just completely out of it. If I take too much at once, I don't like the way it makes me feel. So yes to a point, I obviously am trying to feel the high, that is just not my only reason for taking them. I do have legit chronic pain.

Yes it is a lot to keep up with, and I don't want to make my situation worse, it was just SO NICE to feel normal using the suboxone, and not going through horrible withdrawal. I hate all of this so much. It really sucks to go through this all the time. It just seems like there is no great solution to this. Thank you for responding.

Suboxombie, that makes a lot of sense. I do only take 3mg a day of suboxone, but I guess it would make more sense to only take it when I feel really shitty after my last dose, instead of on a schedule. I tried to give myself at least 2 days off of subbefore taking my oxy again, but I don't think that was long enough. I will try to do it the way you suggested next time and see what happens. If suboxone helped more with pain, I would probably stop taking oxy and just use suboxone, because I do feel better mentally when taking that, and it lasts for hours vs oxy that only lasts for an hour at most.

Roughly 0.5mg buprenorphine = 20mg oxy apparently, but I'm assuming that varies a great deal for different people. Plus the subs probably don't have such a noticeable kick as oxycodone. But yeah, buprenorphine is powerful stuff.

I was surprised when I first heard of people casually munching 8mg tabs. I remember trying less than half a milligram when I was 17 (no opioid tolerance) and felt wasted and nauseous for the next 36 hours. That kind of put me off it.

Wow really?? That's crazy! I never knew that. Yes I know it varies. When I take two pieces, 2mg of suboxone, I definitley feel high, but that is probably because I don't use a ton of Oxycodone in my daily life. My friend that I get them from takes 8mg strips daily, for years now. She is also majorly addicted to gabepentin which I didn't even realize you can get high off of. Yeah I can see how feeling that shitty would have turned you off to it. I was taking two pieces (2mg) at 7pm and then one at 7 am, and I would just put it in my mouth and then go right back to sleep, and let me tell you, I slept better than I EVER have! I get into such a relaxing state that I could sleep for hours and hours.