• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Tea light candle and Meth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Specified

Ex-Bluelighter
Lately I've been using a tea light candle to smoke meth. I chose to do this because I get bigger hits and the bowl lasts alot longer.

I read on another forum it is not good to do this because
....Using a candle is not advisable.
The way a wax candle works is it absorbs some of the melted wax into the wick (obviously not all of it, otherwise it there would be no melted wax drippings) making it burn slower than simply lighting a plain wick. As the saturated wick is burned the absorbed wax is vaporized/evaporated into the air. When you are smoking a pipe directly above a lit candle you are not only coating the outside of the pipe in waxy residue (most of this is burned off by the heat of the flame) but you are also sucking those vapors directly into your pipe, on your dope, and in your lungs. Aside from the obvious health risks, it ruins your bowl. If it's a small amount bowl, it may not be enough for you to notice. But I assure you its doing damage.

Is this true? I've also read it blows soot onto the bowl and it can crack.

What's an alternative to smoking with a tea light candle? Something with a flame not so intense as a lighter?

I know there are other lighters besides bics that have a low flame but their shitty quality there inconsistent and break easily.

I bought a mini alcohol lamp with wick but the wick just burnt down to nothing.
I've bought another alcohol burner with wick that looks like this would work.

s-l225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hemp wick, maybe?(just by itself, not with fuel, except the beeswax already on it which burns much more cleanly than tallow)

Are you making sure the wick in the alcohol lamp is saturated before lighting? Or perhaps its a poor design, the alcohol lamp should work well.

You can get various wicks for oil burners, alcohol burners etc. But most things that burn produce a number of volatiles and pyrolytic products from combustion that aren't good to inhale. However, unless you're sucking in on a pipe 24/7, I don't think it's something you should get too worried about, and a tea light with gentle flame is perfectly adequate for regular use.

I'll just stick to a tea light candle then and no I wasn't saturating the wick in the alcohol lamp

Hemp wick, maybe?(just by itself, not with fuel, except the beeswax already on it which burns much more cleanly than tallow)

Are you making sure the wick in the alcohol lamp is saturated before lighting? Or perhaps its a poor design, the alcohol lamp should work well.

So you have to dip the end part of the wick that you light in alcohol too? That's why the last one just burnt up into nothing and didn't stay alight.

Yes, a dry wick has no fuel to evaporate to feed the flame. This process also keeps the temp low enough to prevent direct combustion of the wick itself. Usually in alcohol burners a quick inversion of the lamp will saturate the wick.

Length of the wick can effect the height of the flame as well similar to candles. Distance from the flame can influence the heat absorbed by the pipe so a "perfect" flame is not always necessary.

Ok so can I use any Alcohol? Just bought alcohol from the shop or does it have to be a specific kind?

Dear specified --

My my
You are engaging in activities which require you to have your fingers Mighty close to your face (mouth even!) for someone who refuses to wash his hands after making a boom-boom.

Just sayin

Most any alcohol will work, but the flame might be clear blue, difficult to see depending on the type. Don't use heavily diluted isopropyl (like 51%)though, it will crackle and burn poorly messing up the wick.

I think this thread has run it's course. If you have any more difficulties PM me. JA

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.