• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Dexamph & Methylphenidate to attenuate chronic neurotoxicity

Solipsis

Bluelight Crew
MPH is supposed to attenuate neurotoxicity with chronic amphetamine use.

I currently take about 8 mg dexamph XR most days.

My question is: about how much methylphenidate would be needed to achieve the neuroprotective effect and what are your experiences with this?

Last times I took methylphenidate I got a really tricky window of therapeutic effect and short duration. I would easily take a little much (though really not that much maybe 15 mg) because it felt closer to a sweet spot to actually make it worthwhile.. But i would get a lot of side effects too (palpitations etc) and could also feel a bit of paradoxical effect...

In short: I couldn't get a decent cost benefit ratio and at the time felt unexpectedly seduced to take a bit more MPH almost addictive like whereas i actually never abused my dexamph which is saying something.

Last but not least: mph gives me worse insomnia than dex even though it should have been long gone by then...

Also: can the effects of dopamine auto-oxidation (peroxide mediated?) Be treated with antioxidants? Not the oxidation of dopamine I mean but the damage potential?

If so what are some appropriate ones? ALA?

I doubt that 8 mg of amphetamine even daily would cause neurotoxicity.

Good point..

Something else then: how can I figure out what kind of timw release formula is used?

It gives me some insomnia and I only have XR because of stupid insurance and monopoly overpricing bullshit.

I think polystyrex should dissolve with acid and salt.. But they aren't beads just solid pills. Custom made by a rather s small pharmacy so they probably don't have complicated preparations.

Any idea? Getting rid of the XR could allow me to take even lower dosages.

Wonder if some or most of the damage done by dopamine releasers is mediated over oxidative stress and if then the right antioxidant could help (theorized about emoxypine in the past because I thought that it attenuated the 'rebound' from methylphenidate but as usual I can't bet if it wasn't just placebo.. would be interesting to know. Emoxypine is an antioxidant and apparently raises dopamine levels by an unknown MOA).

Always thought that combining MPH and amphetamine leads to cumulated side effects but rather abolishes the positive effects due to the DRI effect from MPH blocking the releasing one from the amph. Well might be a question of the dosage used, but is this really the case?

Last edited:
Yeah I'm pretty sensitive! I went up to about 16 mg XR dex max but at some point i got more side-effects and realized i needed much less (again).. Like about 6 mg.

Works so long for me too. Even crushed / chewed which does make my pills more potent and just gets rid of the XR apparently (not really tamperproof formula).

Ideal meds for me

I forgot what emoxypine is but will look it up.. As for combo with MPH: will just have to try but no not looking forward to side-effects.
Dosages will be quite low.

Note that all this is far different from recreational use.. So you can't compare therapeutic use to recreational IMO.

Another thing is I take pregabalin regularly and it helps as an (atypical) anxiolytic for my issues in ways no other reasonable medication has done thusfar.. But it can contribute to hypomanic effects together with dex esp if i drink. Wonderful though and functional. I have to admit it feels fcking good together too i just don't want to take the combo too long term so dialing back.

Last edited:
MPH is supposed to attenuate neurotoxicity with chronic amphetamine use.

I currently take about 8 mg dexamph XR most days.

My question is: about how much methylphenidate would be needed to achieve the neuroprotective effect and what are your experiences with this?

Last times I took methylphenidate I got a really tricky window of therapeutic effect and short duration. I would easily take a little much (though really not that much maybe 15 mg) because it felt closer to a sweet spot to actually make it worthwhile.. But i would get a lot of side effects too (palpitations etc) and could also feel a bit of paradoxical effect...

In short: I couldn't get a decent cost benefit ratio and at the time felt unexpectedly seduced to take a bit more MPH almost addictive like whereas i actually never abused my dexamph which is saying something.

Last but not least: mph gives me worse insomnia than dex even though it should have been long gone by then...

Also: can the effects of dopamine auto-oxidation (peroxide mediated?) Be treated with antioxidants? Not the oxidation of dopamine I mean but the damage potential?

If so what are some appropriate ones? ALA?

Unless you become hyperpyrexic from taking your prescribed dose of amphetamine - in which case, you shouldn't use it at all - then you shouldn't even consider the possibility of experiencing amphetamine-induced neurotoxicity.