Bluelight

Thread: Freeware Office-style suite?

1. Collapse Details
    Freeware Office-style suite? 
    Current Events and Politics
    Non-Electronic Music Discussion
    Shielding off the weakening beams of salvation shining upon the mournful gloom of Earth
    Question
    Remember the days when you bought a new fucking computer and it actually had Office on it by default? Yeah, well fuck you Micrososft, of course that isn't the case nowadays and hasn't been for a while (my last laptop purchase was in 2013 and I recall being angrily aroused by its absence then too) but, like an unexpected glass of water in the face, again I purchased a new laptop and, after eagerly setting everything up, I went to do a bit of writing only to be met with a whole bunch of bullshit. Whilst Office is installed, I can only activate a 30 day trial for now; but to activate it, I still need to provide payment details. I'm a bit pissed off and unwilling now to throw my money at these cunts. Its not the money, and I would be willing to pay for another decent program to do the same things, but I don't want it to go to Microsoft if I can help it. And I would prefer it to be free, so I'm asking for some suggestions.

I'm looking for something that does what Office does (mainly Word and Excel). I've used LibreOffice in the past and found it really great, but its not compatible with Windows 10 If anything, I'd just like a good Word Processor that spits out the full range of documents. I'm doing a short, 6-month course on reading and literature and will definitely be needing something to type in.

Please help Bluelight nerds (from a fellow more bookish nerd)!

2. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Not sure but I found this article on free MS Word substitutes: https://www.techradar.com/news/the-b...microsoft-word

Could probably google similar to find Excel stand-ins.

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details

I use OpenOffice for its Word-like word processor.
    I haven't used it a great deal, and various writingbut it has worked fine for job applications and keeping my CV up-to-date and stuff.

There may be better ones out there - i don't know a lot about it, but it's been a valuable (free!) tool that has been good for the tasks i've used it for.
    ✺✹✺✹BLUA✺✹✺✹

5. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    Quote Originally Posted by swilow View Post
    Remember the days when you bought a new fucking computer and it actually had Office on it by default? Yeah, well fuck you Micrososft, of course that isn't the case nowadays and hasn't been for a while (my last laptop purchase was in 2013 and I recall being angrily aroused by its absence then too) but, like an unexpected glass of water in the face, again I purchased a new laptop and, after eagerly setting everything up, I went to do a bit of writing only to be met with a whole bunch of bullshit. Whilst Office is installed, I can only activate a 30 day trial for now; but to activate it, I still need to provide payment details. I'm a bit pissed off and unwilling now to throw my money at these cunts. Its not the money, and I would be willing to pay for another decent program to do the same things, but I don't want it to go to Microsoft if I can help it. And I would prefer it to be free, so I'm asking for some suggestions.

I'm looking for something that does what Office does (mainly Word and Excel). I've used LibreOffice in the past and found it really great, but its not compatible with Windows 10 If anything, I'd just like a good Word Processor that spits out the full range of documents. I'm doing a short, 6-month course on reading and literature and will definitely be needing something to type in.

Please help Bluelight nerds (from a fellow more bookish nerd)!
    Just another good reason not to buy a Windows product. Unfortunately, I depend on Microsoft Word. Macs come with Pages, the Apple word processor, but the integration between Pages and MS Word is not exactly seamless IME. I do use Pages for my personal stuff but for work stuff I use Office 365 on my Sharepoint account. Google Docs is a decent word processor (and free) but the down side of Google Docs and Office 365 is that since it's cloud based you do need to be connected to the internet. But working in the cloud does have its advantages - never having to worry about saving, for one.

6. Collapse Details

Other Drugs
    Life Advice & Visual Arts
    Trip Reports
    Non-Electronic Music Discussion
    you can run windows stuff on MacBookPros. I third OpenOffice. Good stuff. easy to get.

7. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Electronic Music Discussion
    MDMA & Empathogenic Drugs
    Open office is great, although I tend to favour my torrented copy of the ancient relic office 2007. For no other reason than it works and I haven't bothered to... upgrade.
    Last edited by Tranced; 23-06-2018 at 13:09.