• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

A mother?s need for answers

Concernedmama

Greenlighter
Help my son is 2 shots into vivitrol treatment for heroin addiction he claims he snorted a few after 21 days w 1st shot and now 3 bags after 8 days on second shot and says he is able to get high he called his dr accusing him of giving him bogus vivitrol.,, now it has me wondering...I have read it?s impossibke ha said he can actually feel vivitrol wearing off how can this be it took us 6 Mo to get him on it w counseling and rehab and this was the reinforcement he needed yet either the dr isn?t giving him vivitrol or my son is one in a million who can get high on Vivitrol help we are considering going to a different dr next month to see if it makes a difference!!!

I doubt that it is he doctor giving him fake vivitrol, there is little to no incentive for someone to counterfit it and tons of regulations that would make it very difficult to. There isn't a black market for the drug that I am aware of either, so it would almost have to be the drug companies making weak or bad product.

It's far more likely that there is something going happening on a physiological level in your son. A few questions come to mind: was he completely sober/detoxed off heroin before the treatment began? If so, can you be 100% positive that he wasn't using at all prior to the treatment, because it sounds like he is still hiding his behavior.

Are you sure that he only used twice? And only the amounts specified? Even 2-3 bags sounds like a lot of dope to be doing without a tolerance. I'm pretty sure you can still OD, you just won't get as high. He's playing a very risky game by using.

Also, I don't really understand how you would be able to feel it wearing off unless you are doing dope on a regular enough basis to notice the difference. Basically it binds to the same areas of the brain that opioids bind tom but instead of causing stimulation it has a reverse effect. But I've never taken it personally so I can't say for certain.

Have you spoken with the doctor and counselor? What do they have to say? Chances are the counselor might have a little better insight to the situation. It can be difficult to know what to believe when it is someone so close. I'm sure you want to believe and trust your son, but the hard truth is that drugs can change people and cause the user to do things even he/she wouldn't expect.

A lot of heroin is cut with or primarily fentanyl. Fentanyl binds very strongly to the opiate receptors, it's possible that a fentanyl analogue was able to break through the naltrexone and get him high but i'm not 100% on that.

It sounds like vivitrol might not be the best option for your son since he's trying so hard to get through it.

Vivitrol is shit treatment as your finding out. Methadone is considered the gold standard for a reason in that it works really well. Especially for cravings which vivitrol does nothing for whatsoever.

Thank u all for your insight yes he sees a weekly counselor who has him on anti depressants now that it?s happened and he even said he seems like he really wants this he has a great support system wonderful girlfriend great job everything great he jus claims he wants to feel normal no cravings no need to feel euphoria I guess he was expecting more from vivitrol he said he heard about a supposed vaccination coming out... I mean he even has said he will another dr just to insure he is getting the shot properly and 100 percent it may not be the dr it could very well be what she was sent he called vivitrol hotline directly so he is taking this serious I?m at a loss and although we get some assistance we pay a lot which is worth it?s money in gold if it helps my son.. I just was wondering if anyone out there had similar reactions to vivitrol

I've never had vivitrol but it seems every report i read from bluelight is overwhelmingly negative. Just because doctors claim this might be the best doesn't make it the best. Treatment of opiate addiction is a very personal thing, no one approach works the same way for everyone.

If this shot doesn't seem to be helping your son just know that there are other options. I'm not saying you should start or stop a treatment because some people on the internet say it sucks but just be aware that this isn't your only option.

Vivitrol simply may not be the answer for your son.
I'm gonna tell you what I would do if he were my kid.
First option : try n talk him into inpatient treatment. No five day bullshoot but something real at minimum 30 days with zero access to street drugs. There they will figure out the trouble wuth the vivitrol n decide whether methadone or subs are a better fit for him AND they will ensure he's clean Enuf for induction to which ever treatment. See what I mean? He cant (in theory) cheat and use a street drug while inpatient. Now you sayhe IS on board with getting clean n you've already invested plenty of time and finances. Try as Hard as you can to get him impatient long term.

Second choice if your son refuses inpatient treatment OR is willing but there's a waiting list: this choice IS to keep your same doctor admit to the slip ups and ask for an alternative med that actually helps with craving such as subs or methadone. Watch carefully talk with your son frequently learn to identify signs of use and WAIT til he's in full blown withdrawal before induction on the new med. This plan means keeping your same doc or finding one who uses alternative meds and scrapping the vivitrol idea.

Third choice : do all the vigilance mentioned above watching talking seeking out signs.... but stay on vivitrol and WAIT (*I have heard it takes a couple months to really generate a difference in body chemistry). In this meanwhile try meetings more often, appointments with his support team more often and ALWAYS constantly no matter which option I take I would be Educating myself and the family, his girlfriend n any buddies who are on board with being strong supports to your young man while he undertakes this journey. The more you ALL know the better his chances at a real recovery and now now now is the time! !! Before HE gets any further damaged and before one of these slips he's sneaking ends up accidentally taking his life. .... above a poster mentioned the very real and frightening subject of his heroin possibly being laced with or even Completely fentanyl instead. This Is often deadly and especially when the patient is sneaking around possibly obtaining their drugs from a new / not well-known source, rushing to get the fix because he's in need or trying to keepit secret.

I don't want to sound harsh ma'am but I have raised my kids to adulthood and praise the gods they're all well..... I am BEGGING you to push (gently but firmly ) for option one
You my dear are in grave danger of literally losing your sweet son. Please take action as best you can--- I know you're trying! ! Keep trying. Try harder. Remember love and support helps addicts! Tough love and rejection only insure his failure and endanger him further.

God bless you and your son. The whole lot of you trying to help n support him. He can be saved from this crap but I do NOT believe the path he's on is the right fit at this time. It's just too easy to cheat.

Take care. Keep posting. We all care and can offer extra support for You.
Don't let drugs take that boy from you! Fight for him.

A lot of heroin is cut with or primarily fentanyl. Fentanyl binds very strongly to the opiate receptors, it's possible that a fentanyl analogue was able to break through the naltrexone and get him high but i'm not 100% on that.

It sounds like vivitrol might not be the best option for your son since he's trying so hard to get through it.

yeah I'm guessing something along these lines.

Honestly, it's misleading advertisement on the drug companies part. There is no vaccination, no cure, and no solution that isn't going to require daily, weekly, monthly, yearly maintenance There will always be a way to "cheat the system"- if not an opioid with a higher affinity, then something that removes the vivitrol. The temptation will always be there and people will always be finding new ways and new drugs.

Like others mentioned, if he is still craving the opioid then an opioid with a long half life(to prevent constant dosing) and controlling the doses(methadone clinic) might be a better option. Even still, I've met countless people who go to methadone/suboxone clinics and are still supplementing with other meds, so there is no real cure or fix, but it may serve as a part of a working solution.

Yeah I started Suboxone and stopped other opiates but cravings made me use stimulants, benzos and lyricas. I needed lot of willpower and education/rehab to quit benzos and lyricas and two months of inpatient rehab to get rid of stimulants.