• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Swallowing Suboxone Film

acertaincolor

Greenlighter
I've read so many different responses to the question of whether or not you should swallow the film or spit it out after it is done dissolving under your tongue but I can't seem to find a straight answer (though I realize there are very many factors involved). If possible, I'd like to know, specifically in regards to nausea, if spitting it out afterwards will help with nausea or make it worse or have no effect... disregarding any other aspect of the effectiveness of the drug.

Thanks!

I've read so many different responses to the question of whether or not you should swallow the film or spit it out after it is done dissolving under your tongue but I can't seem to find a straight answer (though I realize there are very many factors involved). If possible, I'd like to know, specifically in regards to nausea, if spitting it out afterwards will help with nausea or make it worse or have no effect... disregarding any other aspect of the effectiveness of the drug.

Thanks!

Why spit it out? There's still buprenorphine in it.

Oral bioavailability of naloxone is close to zero, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I don't think it makes much of a difference. I used to keep suboxone in my mouth for half an hour then spit it out. I felt like I got more side effects (like headaches) from swallowing. But it might have been in my head.

I spit mine out after 15 minutes but I dont think it makes much difference to be honest.

Yea i agree with everybody else that it really shouldnt make too much of a difference.

But personally, i would always let the saliva sit my mouth for about 10-15 mins to make sure i absorbed most of the Bupe, than swallow the remains. That is what worked best for me.

I have read some discussions about this exact topic before so I might be able to explain it a little.

The bupe takes 10 to 15 minutes roughly to just about fully absorb into the gums, under the tongue and sides of the mouth. Once that is done you can either spit out what is in your mouth still or you can just swallow that.

The reason being for these two methods are to minimize any absorption of the naloxone left in your mouth once you've got all the bupe. Keeping it in there longer than the 15 minutes could potentially allow some of the naloxone to enter the bloodstream and then cause minor side effects that are reminiscent of mild withdrawal. It's not serious and it can't ruin the action of the bupe, but most people prefer this because it decreases the incidence of these side effects while you're trying to feel well.

Hope that helps

Why would keeping it in your mouth - let alone swallowing - make a difference? Is buprenorphine really absorbed faster than naloxone?

And if you're swallowing it, buprenorphine's oral bioavailability is much higher than naloxone's... coupled with buprenorphine's high binding affinity, what little naloxone enters the bloodstream can't make a dent in the bupe's effects.

Not extremely experienced with the substance but from quick research I assume it's similar to an LSD tab, if you spit it there might be a slight hint of the desired substance left, but after a few minutes in your mouth it shouldn't be enough to make a difference

Not sure if these are similar to fentanyl patches but I think they might be? I used to chew fent patches for hours and then I would separate the fent layer from the plastic layer while still in my mouth. Sometimes I fell asleep with it in my mouth and woke up later and obviously swallowed the patch while nodding...never had any bad effects from it. We don't have suboxone in my country so I might be wrong thinking it's similar to fent patches.

My Doc says naloxone is rough on your liver, so he prefers to use Subutex on his patients. I personally prefer Subutex to Suboxone after using both.

My Doc says naloxone is rough on your liver, so he prefers to use Subutex on his patients. I personally prefer Subutex to Suboxone after using both.

Naloxone being rough on the liver has largely been debunked - people who take suboxone have worse livers than the general population because drug addicts are generally much more likely to suffer from liver injury.

https://livertox.nlm.nih.gov/Naloxone.htm

Also, suboxone contains just 1mg of naloxone for each 4 mg's of buprenorphine. Even if you're on a very high dose of 16 mg of buprenorphine, that's just 4 mg of naloxone per day. That's basically nothing.
Normally when opioids are coupled with naloxone as an abuse deterrent, the amounts are much higher: "Targin" is an oxycodone/naloxone combo product containing 1 mg of naloxone for every 2 mg of oxycodone (i.e. 40mg of naloxone for the normal daily maximum of 80 mg of oxy); "Tilidine/naloxone" usually contains 8mg of naloxone per 100 mg of tilidine (the max dose for tilidine is 600mg/day, which would also give you 48 mg of naloxone).

Thanks Hodor.! These Suboxone Doctors act like they know everything there is to know about Suboxone, but most are Clueless about the product they are pushing.! Good info thanks again