• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Homemade extract of plants

Rafayte

Bluelighter
There are legal plants that have a high potential as sedative but in the products marketed the concentration is low and the effects very soft. I refer to valerian, passion flower or California's poppy. I want to make an extract myself to obtain a product with a high concentration and a stronger effect. I have think in use vodka to do it but I want someone says me how to make the extract being the plants valerian, passion flower and California's poppy

I have been seeing extracts of California's poppy and I find an liquid alcoholic extract with a potency 1:3 in a bottle of 50ml but I won't buy it, I will do at home. I have read a tutorial of how to made an herbal extract with vodka

In the case of valerian, alcohols are usually employed to prepare commercial solid extract formulations, that are powdered and added to gelcaps.

So one could use methanol or isopropanol, rather than ethanol because EtOH is of course, taxed to a disgustingly high level. Either MeOH or iPA would be cheaper.

Either way, this is for creation of solid extracts, not to produce a drinkable alcohol-based tincture, methanol is toxic and must NOT be consumed, it will however evaporate off cleanly. iPA isn't so toxic (methanol is metabolized first to formaldehyde then formic acid, and formaldehyde is really nasty stuff, the toxic metabolic produce of methanol consumption attack the optic nerves and this can lead to blindness, higher levels than those required to permanently blind someone, kill the poor dumb bugger that tries to drink MeOH.)

This said it is very cheap and it is excellent for an extraction solvent requiring highly polar protic solvents, and that use other alcohols for the same purpose. For this, MeOH will serve in place of EtOH, however, the liquid is not to be consumed, it is to be evaporated off to leave a solid.

Be warned about one other thing though. Valerian stinks. No, I don't mean it is a rotten excuse for a GABAergic, it isn't, on the other hand, it smells terrible. Like moldering, sweaty toe-cheese and rancid armpit. The valerenic acid and closely related carboxylic acids in there, they stink something rancid, like butyric acid does, and other, longer-chain carboxylic acids do. (strictly speaking they start to smell bad at a C3 chain length, propionic acid is where it starts smelling off, but its C4, butyric acid that the stinking really starts [butyric acid smells of vomit, or rather, vomit smells like butyric acid, its what gives puke its nasty smell] with the bad odors getting worse the longer the chain of the carboxylic acid).

Quite potent little stinkers too, some of the longer chain carboxylic acids; and they really hang around..once, working with some n-butyric anhydride, had to distill off the unreacted butyric anhydride, after doing so, the end product was placed in a homemade hypobaric chamber, and this sealed, the pump attached, some shallow but wide containers of chemicals to decompose and scrub the anhydride as butyric acid salts then evacuated.

After pumping the setup down, some traces of anhydride must have gotten into the pump, because after removal of butyric acid from the piperazine derivative I'd been working on (no, not one of those nasty ass shitty stimulant/migraine inducer screwups like BZP/mCPP/TFMPP, just a project of mine that happened to include a piperazine ring in its structure), every time I went to use my vac pump for quite some time after, if it was indoors, the air outtake started to vomit up the nastiest fumes, real stomach churner that filled the lab with filthy smelling eau-de-barf fumes that hung around for days after. I've never worked with valerenic acid anhydride, or 99%> valerenic acid, but have smelled valerenic acid and valerian, and they smell much fouler than butyric acid, not so sharp, but a lot more ripe, sweaty and putrid.

So if it stinks, and once the methanol is evaporated off (which it MUST be before the extract is consumed), don't assume you got a bad batch. In fact lacking such a reek would be more of a sign of the root not being any good.

Thanks. I will use vodka with a combination of valerian, passion flower and California's poppy