• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Nail biting

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
Is biting your nails bad for you? I do it terribly, I've barely any nails left.

I do it unconsciously when I'm tense and that is often. I have many stupid nervous fidgety habits :\

Anyone know?

It is bad for your teeth...

I'm a nail-biter too, but in terms of compulsive responses to anxiety, i figure it's relatively harmless.

Nah there is all sorts of dirt and bacteria under your nails that you put in your mouth when you bite them....

I'm a compulsive nail biter as well. In addition to the dental, bacterial and fungal issues that have already been mentioned, if swallowed, they can cause GI problems as well.

Yes. Have been since like 10 yo. Also chew off the area of skin around my nails.
Never had any problems.

Never been a nail biter. I'm on the opposite spectrum and am OCD about the appearance of my nails.

Have you had any detrimental effects like infections since the persistent habit? I had a friend who used to chew his nails incessantly and I remember his thumb nail being practically non-existent.

Did it affect daily functions? I'm sure it didn't, but the aesthetics weren't the most appealing. However, I wouldn't worry because I have long nails and I get comments from girls saying they think it's gross/weird for a guy to have some manicured nails? Just can't win in this world. :/

I find things like pull tabs on cans harder to open or at least I just need to rummage blindly for a knife.

I actually have eczema on my legs which is incredibly itchy but I can't scratch very well with what are basically my fingertips. I have to use things like brushes and forks and stuff. At least I'm probably not harboring too much bacteria under my nails.

Yeah, i find fingernails (on my left hand, at least) can get in the way of guitar playing.
I'm not so bad that my fingers have infections or anything - it's just a bit of an anxious habit.

Kind of makes me wonder what I may carry or transmit by having longer fingernails. By all means it's not a female's setup that you'd get a saloon or close to the length of fake Nails. I scrub them and wash my hands regularly, I mean what is else is there to do? As long they aren't yellow from fungus then I wouldn't trip.

New to blue light so here my first post :).
Ive been an excessive nail biter since I was in 6th grade, Im 19 now. Ive never had any dental issues, my teeth are actually quite straight and white but i do take very good care of my hygiene.
My nails however look terrible, scabs sometimes are on the corners of my nails and sometimes I pull off all the skin from a hang nail down to my shoulders! ;) Ive never had any bacterial infections or GI complications.
My only downside is sometimes I will cut my girlfriend while fingering her which can be uncomfortable, I battle this by filing them down so theyre soft instead of that sharp edge you?re left with after biting them.

Ive found that I stop once I have a worry stone (smoothed over rock you can fit in your pocket) to rub as this gives me something to fidget with instead of biting my nails excessively. Just a suggestion :)

Last edited: