• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Does the brain/body really return to 100% after opiates?

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
I don't know if it's part of the opiate curse... just feels like I'll never be 100% again. Maybe if I read it in writing from other folks who have beaten this monster before I'll feel more confident about it. I do like who I start to become when quitting percs/oxys, even if I'm still suffering from lingering withdrawal symptoms. Thought I was clever dodging H by only sticking to pills, however they are just as bad.

Habit-20-60 mgs a day for 1.5 years... going in and out of withdrawal at points. I acknowledge my dose is not too high but it has destroyed me nonetheless. Worst symptom WD: anxiety. I think the perfect time to get out is NOW.

To answer your question, after a certain point ones brain chemistry does get affected by the opiates. I don't know if you're at that point right now or not. However, if you are wanting to quit, then nows as good a time as ever, so "Go for it"! Especially considering the fact that, like you mentioned, your doses aren't too crazy yet. So, this would actually be a perfect time to do it. Hang in there and Good luck!

I don't think it does. However at such a low dose for such a short time you'll probably get to 99.9%.

If it makes you feel any better, I have been on doses ranging from 5-50x that since 18. I'm 25 now. I'm tapering methadone and eventually I'll just have to jump off and have faith that whatever my brain naturally makes will be enough.

I didn't get clean 5 years 8 months and 23 days ago with any expectation that my brain would ever function like it did before I used. That being said, it seems pretty back to normal. I don't have any noticeable lasting effects in that regard. For a frame of reference I was on 1.5 GRAMS of oxy a day, throw in some fent, 80mg of Opana (taken the WRONG way), 240mg of Avinza (like drinking a glass of water), and a number of other pharmaceuticals and some tar thrown in for years. You will be fine. Opioids are some of the more benign substances when it comes to long term effects from extensive exposure...

I stopped opiates at the start of this year and now I feel completely normal but not the same as I was 7 years ago when I started opiates but I blame those 7 years as normal.

I used to use 500mg+ oxycodone a day.

I stopped opiates at the start of this year and now I feel completely normal but not the same as I was 7 years ago when I started opiates but I blame those 7 years as normal.

I used to use 500mg+ oxycodone a day.

That is a very large dose... did you ever nod out? I would be dead =D

I think if you use for close to 10 years, there's a possibility the brain won't return to normal; but I do believe most users can get back to 100%.

In my experience, my brain got back to normal (perhaps not 100%; it's hard to tell, honestly) before my GI tract did.