• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

A/B on different salts?

Abject

Bluelighter
I know that A/B extractions work with HCl salts, would it work on a tartrate salt?
I'm assuming it would take a different amount of base to freebase it, if it does/can work?

Acid/base extractions can be done on any compound that forms a water soluble "acid addiction salt", be it hydrochloride, sulfate, or whichever.

Appreciate it, I suspected A/B's should work on any/all acid salts but I wasn't sure.
I can't find the PKa of the drug but nor tartrate but I figure it won't be too hard to figure out if I need more base/used too much.

pKa (not PKa)

can be found searching the parent molecule and not the salt itself, like, searching for pKa of tartaric acid, and for the drug molecule.
Even though you can't find, it can be approximated depending on functional group and adjacent atoms

and, If your molecule is stable to acid and base, it is OK to use "too much" acid and base during A/B, actually some excess amount should be used in conventional A/B (not drug related)

pKa (not PKa)

can be found searching the parent molecule and not the salt itself, like, searching for pKa of tartaric acid, and for the drug molecule.
Even though you can't find, it can be approximated depending on functional group and adjacent atoms

and, If your molecule is stable to acid and base, it is OK to use "too much" acid and base during A/B, actually some excess amount should be used in conventional A/B (not drug related)

Appreciate it. Sorry about the PKa instead of pKa, and thanks for pointing it out.