• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Brain damage

radjan

Greenlighter
Hello everyone,

I am 23 and between 19 and 22, I have abuse a lots of prescription drug mainly ritalin (about 20*40 mg pill) and a lot of alcohol (4 liter of beer), i went to rehab but treatment was worse (40 mg of valium and 800 of serequel).
Now I stop, but i fill different, i feel mad do somebody know if at that age you can have brain damage and if so are they permanent ? I can't focus more than 10 min; i am laughing without any reason ...

Thanks

Give yourself some time and healthy living, and you'll be alright. Stop with the chemicals and starting eating well if you don't and you'll be surprised at how much better you feel. Time has a way of healing things you think will never heal...

Exercise, too... exercise helps the body and mind to heal. You'll be fine, the brain is resilient. But you definitely need to stop doing more damage.

How long were you taking valium/benzos/anxiety med and sleep med? Some of that could be the acute withdrawals. If you were taking valium and sleep medication the whole time you were in rehab then abruptly stopped you will definitely be experiencing some acute withdrawals.

That's unfortunate that you were basically just getting doped up at rehab, if I understand correctly. For me, rehab was on of the first times in close to a decade where I had to sit and be with my emotions without any substances.

Also, most people report feeling slow/stupid after stopping stimulants like add/adhd medication. Some of what you are experiencing is just the lack of stimulant and it will take a while for your brain to fully recover and correct it's levels naturally. As far as recovering from that, you need to give it time and stay clean first, then things like proper nutrition, exercise, healthy relationships with good family and friends, and intellectual stimulation like art, reading, studying, learning new things, music.

Really, just a healthy lifestyle in general should facilitate a healthy recovery. Just do your best though, don't worry too much if something is lacking.. it's a gradual progression over a long time, not a sudden change overnight. You have the rest of your life to get these things in order, it's just important to start working on them today.

Also, another positive thing to keep in mind is that you are still fairly young. The brain doesn't stop developing until mid to late 20's, so chances are that even if there is some sort of damage(which I doubt that there is anything significant) you will still have years ahead of you to heal, grow, and develop.