• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Are Kratom and hydrocodone related and if not can I ask a favor please

bluemonkey

Bluelighter
I am somewhat interested in survival and get a few blogs in my email. Today?s suggested that kratom is closely related to hydrocodone. I think I know that he is completely off and they are two completely unrelated chemicals that do similar things? I am really not chemistry-included, in fact, chem was the reason I didn?t go to medical school. So, 2 things, 1 are the 2 closely related? And 2 can someone more able to explain the science please go https://www.primalsurvivor.net/homemade-painkillers/ and gently correct the missuderstanding? Or if you would rather can I copy and paste what you say here over to Jacob?s blog. He has a fairly large audience and I don?t think kratom needs the bad press. Thanks

Kratom is a plant containing many different alkaloids, all of which hold different pharmacological modes of action, whereas hydrocodone is a singular substance. They both agonize opioid receptors.
But they have no relation to one another from a chemistry/chemical standpoint, nor do they have any biological sources in common- so no, they have absolutely nothing to do with each other, or anything in common other than one pharmacodynamical aspect.

I haven't looked at your posted article, however, it sounds likely the author has kratom prohibition as his goal.

-PA

A couple things I'd like to add. Like PA said, they're completely unrelated. Kratom comes from the plant, mitragyna speciosa whereas hydrocodone is a synthetic opioid that is derived from morphine, the alkaloid found in opium poppy. After comparing the two plants, you can see that they're unrelated. Furthermore, hydrocodone, like PA said, is a single molecule synthesized in a lab whereas kratom contains multiple alkaloids that all act on various opioid receptors to different degrees. The only reason they can be considered "related" is because they both bind to the same receptors, which results in similar effects. Since they're still different at the molecular level, they differ in their behavior with receptors. Hope that helps!

Thanks, Can I copy and paste over to Jacob’s blog... PA, oddly, he actually supports using it as a medicine but only in extreme survival situations... or at least that’s how it read to me. I have a feeling that he might have tried say a Red Bali and thought that it feels like hydrocodone ergo it must be connected. He is only an online acquaintance of mine at the moment, so I don’t know for sure... but yes both of you guys have helped me. When I am not so tired I will go back to his blog and try to clear up things. Thanks for the help both of you

What Perpetual wrote is correct, that's the true similarly and difference between the two.

It's a shame Kratom has gotten all this negative attention lately especially when nobody really knows that much about it at all. Hopefully if we can loosen up restrictions on studying it we'll be able to learn something about it.

Ive had Kratom that felt exactly like hydrocodone and stronger then it, in fact. But as stated before, they are completely unrelated...Other then they both agonize the opiate receptors.

Really, Chris? I notice a distinct difference and I've dosed from 2g up to 18g and it's still not the same for me. They seem to induce different types of euphoria for me. Nonetheless, I'm thankful kratom isn't currently banned. I ended up hoarding around 4kg of different strains just in case they banned it, though haha.