Racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGrimez

Bluelighter
Hi I was banned for allegedly being racist.

Definitely not racist and I don't see how what I said was racist?

Thanks

Well, we saw it as breaking the rules. You were banned for one day, its not a big deal. Just take more care when you post.

If you are really concerned, you were told to speak to a senior moderator but chose to do it publicly instead. :\

With all due respect it is a good thing he did as it would be educational to know what is seen as racist as views on what is differs from person to person as it seems the imposed punishment. An example being referrnces to "faggots" and "dirty Arabs" as seen in eadd resulted in an edit by the mods with seemingly no more action than that.

As is the case with "fag" being slang for a cigarette being okay same area yet would result on ban elsewhere.

If a Post is deemed racist content enough to afffect a persons access to bl then it should be known what it was. A 24 hour ban affects cumulative future bans and hence is a big deal please dont shrug this off as what means nothing to you is someone elses membership so would be more important to them.

Catch 22: we deleted the content because it was inappropriate but you want to see it...

I get what you're saying though. We try to use our rules objectively but there is inherent discretionary input too. You may disagree of course, which is fine but to get something overturned you would be better off speaking with a senior moderator. I'm happy to discuss matters like this via pm.

I've said this a few times but pm mods if you are unsure of content you want to post.

I have just looked at your infraction history, and JGrimes has never been "banned for allegedly being racist".

Which account are you referring to?

Try reading the user agreement as well.

Does the user agreement contain exactly what is infractable in every subforum according to every moderator and updated with every staff member?

Does the user agreement insist that friends around the same location not post when someone gets banned as it will be assumed its the banned person and infracted accordingly?

Looking at the individual sub guidelines all over the place, many have wandered away from each other and its not making it easy for cross forum posters to follow.

Are these guidelines looked at regularly to make sure they are relatively the same blua wise and related to each other or not really.

can we please keep to the topic? this is not a platform for launching non-constructive attacks on staff.

^ Ok.

Is racism and posts regarded as being racist treated in the same way across the board?

Also bearing in mind what one person posts can be seen as racist by another, said poster would not think their post is racist hence posting it in the first place.

How can a person know what another thinks is crossing the line without getting an infraction if said post is not sent back as an example of what is not allowed?

Also: is speculation of abuse of the infraction system to remove unliked people a concern as this seems to come up a lot now. Would it be better to try to encourage more participation than what appears focusing on clamping down on those still being here?

Its apparent that there is not going to be any feedback to what post prompted a ban hence there wasnt one.

I did not attack any staff and the non constructive aspect here is staff dodging questions.

Thats fine to be honest. Its what was expected anyway.

Very hard to get straight answers here but worth a shot. Race is not a subject thats worth discussing on bl, not worth being branded racist over.

How can a person know what another thinks is crossing the line without getting an infraction if said post is not sent back as an example of what is not allowed?
it couldn't be easier. if you're in any doubt about something you would like to post, pm the ce&p mods first. they'll let you know.

problem solved and it's very straightforward.

alasdair

You were banned for one day, its not a big deal.
It's a big deal to me I don't feel I should have been banned for what I said. I don't want to say anything that will result in a ban.
I asked an african-american friend of mine for his honest opinion on a subject.
I relayed it, then I was not only told that my friend didn't exist, but also that what he said was racist.
Is having a conflicting opinion on a subject racist? I do not think so.
Was what I said controversial? Maybe
Was what I said honest? Yes
Was what I said racist? No

it couldn't be easier. if you're in any doubt about something you would like to post, pm the ce&p mods first. they'll let you know.
It's not feasible to run every post by a mod first.
I did not feel that what I wrote was deserving of mod action

If someone would like to clear it up a bit more specifically that would be appreciated.

If you are really concerned, you were told to speak to a senior moderator but chose to do it publicly instead. :\

I honestly don't remember that. I think I was just shocked that I had been banned in the first place.
I talked it over with my friend and he was more flabbergasted than I was, considering he is an AFRICAN-AMERICAN

^It doesn't matter what your friend thinks in the slightest. He's not a mod here.

I'm not sure what you want us to say. You don't seem to want a private discussion about this (despite being invited too on several occasions) but most users never get banned so I think our expectations and requirements are already clear enough and do not need further clarification. Suffice to say, I agree that what you posted broke our rules. No one is saying that YOU are racist though.

Getting banned is not nice but its not as if it was a 6 month ban. That would suck. Just cop it on the chin and move on because its futile otherwise.

I asked an african-american friend of mine for his honest opinion on a subject.
your friend's opinion on this is irrelevant.

It's not feasible to run every post by a mod first.
if you're concerned that every post you post might be construed as racism, you may want to reexamine your participation. i think this is a telling comment. err on the side of caution.

I did not feel that what I wrote was deserving of mod action
again, warnings and infractions are at the discretion of the forum staff - who felt action was necessary - not you.

alasdair

Why would a post referencing "faggots", "queers" "nig", "dirty arabs" etc from first person of the poster not then have the same action taken towards a different poster in a different forum who I suppose mentioned something like his mate saying crime was part of black culture? I didnt see the post as unapproved and ban yet the other posts mentioned were not acted upon or probably not even read (despite a mod posting underneath it).

What are tathras, eshers and mgs opinions about this post being racist out of curiosity? Are they around ?

Ali why dont you just tell ppl you clearly dont think much of to piss off out of cep or wherever .

There was nothing racist about that post.

Ali why dont you just tell ppl you clearly dont think much of to piss off out of cep or wherever .
i don't understand this but my personal opinion of specific posters is not a factor in this discussion.

alasdair

^Which you were, in the infraction that lead to your ban.

^Which you were, in the infraction that lead to your ban.

No I wasn't. I was told "racism" that's it.
This is the sub-forum to dispute a ban?
What was racist? The entire post? One line?
If you are clear with someone then there are no unanswered questions and said person has no excuse for repeating the same 'mistake'.
I even gave a specific definition for racism in my post which was seemingly ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.