Racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
What interests me is how much it matters if the poster is racist or just the post.

I've said a lot of things I can imagine someone seeing as racist. But I'm not a racist. Does it matter if the person isn't a racist even if the post could be interpreted that way.

Cause, I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of JGrimez politics, but I've never gotten a racist vibe from him and I find it hard to believe he would have said something that was intended to be racist.

I don't think being banned for a day is a big deal, even if the reason is a little dubious, but I do think that if the reason was questionable then it shouldn't factor into possible future bans.

If you are clear with someone then there are no unanswered questions and said person has no excuse for repeating the same 'mistake'.
i'm working on understanding this myself and getting an expanded answer.

please be patient. bluelight staff are volunteers and have real life concerns which take precedence. sometimes things move slower than we would both like.

What interests me is how much it matters if the poster is racist or just the post.
what is a poster on bluelight if not their posts? it's all we have.

alasdair

Last edited:
BL volunteers are very appreciated and especially those who are regularly around and directly involved in their forum as well as everywhere else are very important.

Thankyou for addressing this as its important for members to know we can approach you .

i'm working on understanding this myself and getting an expanded answer.

please be patient. bluelight staff are volunteers and have real life concerns which take precedence. sometimes things move slower than we would both like.

what is a poster on bluelight if not their posts? it's all we have.

alasdair

You can usually get a feel for if someone actually is racist or has just said something that could be interpreted as racist. It's a gray area I admit, but what I'm asking is roughly where the line is. If a post could be interpreted as racist, if 50% of people would find it racist, is that sufficient to violate the blua? 90%? 10%? If anyone calls it racist? If the moderator finds it racist? If the moderator could imagine someone else finding it racist? How much does it matter if it was intended to he racist by the poster if at all?

That's what I'm wondering.

Jgrimez, you said that crime is inherent part of African American culture (amongst other things). The thought was that this was a stereotype and generalisation that broke the rules. We have zero tolerance for this stuff I am proud to say. If in doubt don't post it or ask us first.

I don't want to debate whether what you wrote was racist or the veracity of your starement and we are NOT going to reverse it so please don't bother with that. As I said, I don't think you are racist but I think you wrote something a touch clumsily and you got the bluelight equivalent of a rap over the knuckles for it. So a one day temp ban which finished a few weeks back. Not a big deal really.

You've posted sexist content too which I warned you for but you seemed to understand that? I can expand if needed.

Can I ask why you didn't choose to address this via the more effectuve methods you were repeatedly invited to? I know that doing this privately would have gotten you an answer in one PM.

Swillow there have been many threads over the years regarding crime in America with a plethora of statistics about race and crime. Also the mentality that african americans are targeted by police. Its not a racist comment saying crime is a part of a cultural problem when its a known fact that crime and accusations of crime are a general part of that country. There was no racial insults or anything racist . The treatment of blrs is based on whether they are a nate or not and msybe if you cut the guy s5one slack and stop being so mean you can see hes cool as are a lot of ppl

I know it means nothing from another blr who is not on staff or even those who are who would think this infraction is over the top.

However its not an isolated case particularly in cep by not all mods.

This was a wrong call, part of a pattern and its easy to see the bullying and driving away being done so i dunno why jgrimez would want to bother with cep.

Again I hope the owners Srbastians ghost and TLB are around and keeping tabs on mods as well as us because they are the ones who can see everything and can put two and two together.

If they are guys can you please respond to this thread.

Otherwise its obvious bad calls are made for personal reasons and toure going to end up in an echo chamber, it has become that already and its obvious.

Good to have public, where accountability is demonstrated.

This doesn't seem like it's going to achieve anything constructive, from here on in - and i'd like to avoid more toxic negativity.

Any issues, please send me a PM - but otherwise i'm going to close this.

The CE&P mod staff do a brilliant job, from my point of view - they're patient and very reasonable - and they put a lot of work into making CE&P a place where we can discuss politics and topical issues.

Racism has never been welcome at bluelight, and it never will - this is a harm reduction community, with a series of guidelines that make this pretty clear.

if you're unsure whether or not a post, topic or theme is appropriate for discussion, i encourage you to ask - there are plenty of mods, smods or admins who are more than happy to help.
on the other hand, if you're interested in pushing boundaries of what is acceptable, i would suggest taking that "edgy" schtick elsewhere; this is an inclusive forum - it is not a place for racism, misogyny or other forms of bigotry.

You can usually get a feel for if someone actually is racist or has just said something that could be interpreted as racist. It's a gray area I admit, but what I'm asking is roughly where the line is. If a post could be interpreted as racist, if 50% of people would find it racist, is that sufficient to violate the blua? 90%? 10%? If anyone calls it racist? If the moderator finds it racist? If the moderator could imagine someone else finding it racist? How much does it matter if it was intended to he racist by the poster if at all?

That's what I'm wondering.
hey jessfr,

i don't like responding to threads which are closed but i wanted to answer your question.

the determination of whether a post is racist is made by the ce&p forum staff.

a (rhetorical?) question for you: what's the difference between somebody who is 'a racist' and somebody who is not 'a racist' but says racist things?

alasdair

i don't like responding to threads which are closed but i wanted to answer your question.

this

the determination of whether a post is racist is made by the ce&p forum staff.

This

a (rhetorical) question for you: what's the difference between somebody who is 'a racist' and somebody who is not 'a racist' but says racist things?

THIS

If anyone needs someone to talk to about the racism stuff, please shoot me a pm. Answers await, just please be mindful I try to have a life outside of BL. I'll do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.

Volunteer professional like %)

Status
Not open for further replies.