• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - San Francisco will bring anti-addiction medication to users on the streets

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
San Francisco will bring anti-addiction medication to users on the streets
Lenny Bernstein
The Washington Post
May 17th, 2018

San Francisco will begin supplying anti-addiction medication to long-term drug users and homeless people on city streets, an attempt to overcome a formidable obstacle to treatment that has complicated efforts to address the opioid crisis.

The city announced Thursday that its medical providers will offer buprenorphine and naltrexone prescriptions at needle exchanges, in parks and in other places where people with opioid disorders congregate. Users will be able to pick up the medications, which block the craving for opioids and the painful symptoms of withdrawal, at a centrally located city-run pharmacy.

The city is billing the plan as the first of its kind in the United States, though a few other communities have tried similar programs over the years.

"If we're going to save people's lives, we can?t wait for addicts to come to us. We have to go to them and engage. And offer. And give support," said Barbara Garcia, director of health for the city and county of San Francisco.

The United States faces a shortage of drug treatment options of all kinds. Medication-assisted treatment with buprenorphine, methadone and naltrexone is widely considered the most effective way to wean users off opioids, but it is still in short supply and relapses are common, especially among people with the most severe form of opioid use disorder.

Read the full story here.

is it going to be free?

If so I am a few years behind

Could have just moved there and been on bupe forever.

Fucking bugger me diagonally! that IS seriously progressive for the US. Especially with a fat orange greasy cocksucker in the whitehouse. Or the orange house, aka ''that damn shitehouse, bloody eyesore...allah-fodder, cesspit located at ground zero of a cheap spray-tan factory explosion.''

This sort of practice needs to spread. US, UK, EU, everywhere. And offering methadone too would be a good idea for those who don't play well with partial agonists, especially those taking long acting opioids which build up some in-vivo when taken for a substantial time. And those taking time release pills etc, people should have a full agonist with long duration of action as an option too, not just a partial agonist like bupe. Still, its a big step in the right direction. A bit less hitleresque on the part of the republicunts in the US.

I am very pleased to hear this! Great job people!

It is so nice when people act like Human Beings to one another!

I know there are people in high places who have chronic pain or problems with opiates. It is probably them showing compassion instead of judgement.

Everyone needs to speak up about our suffering to people in high places. ALL of us! We know the suffering and we also know how connected to one another we all are. No one is disposable!!!

Isn't it possible the users will just sell the suboxone to people like high school kids, or people like me who like bupe way too much for their own good, and use the $$$ to get more dope?

I'd like to believe this will help things, but I'm thinking opening heroin/meth clinics is really necessary.

^Maybe, but couldn't you say the same thing about someone receiving methadone or suboxone in any other scenario?

Isn't it possible the users will just sell the suboxone to people like high school kids, or people like me who like bupe way too much for their own good, and use the $$$ to get more dope?

I'd like to believe this will help things, but I'm thinking opening heroin/meth clinics is really necessary.

Isn't buprenorphine and methadone both free for someone on MediCal?

PITA, maybe, but free nonetheless. Hopefully what happens in SF with this makes it more accessible.

^Maybe, but couldn't you say the same thing about someone receiving methadone or suboxone in any other scenario?

The rock bottom hypothesis would suggest people need to be hurting and homeless and down and out and shit to want help.

Not necessarily buying that narrative myself.

Just wondering aloud. I suspect if some angelic humanoids came and brought me bupe and needles, I'd have never quit.

Isn't buprenorphine and methadone both free for someone on MediCal?

I don't know but I really don't think so. I heavily suspect you have to pay out of pocket for it.

Methadone was free for Medical patients (or at least some of them) when I was on methadone. Find it hard to believe there wouldn't be a similar system in place for dispensing buprenoprhine through clinics of some kind (like HHCLA, I think they do that now).

I'll have to look into it.

The rock bottom hypothesis would suggest people need to be hurting and homeless and down and out and shit to want help.

Just wondering aloud. I suspect if some angelic humanoids came and brought me bupe and needles, I'd have never quit.

I don't know but I really don't think so. I heavily suspect you have to pay out of pocket for it.
I know methadone is free for people on Medicaid in Alabama. I assume it's the same in California.

The whole rock bottom theory is dumb. If someone is living in the streets they have nothing left to lose but there life

I live in California and when I got approved for Social Security Disability (SSDI) it automatically came with Medi-cal... Medi-Cal pays for my methadone clinic. $280 a month is what it would cost to go to my clinic for an addict who is paying cash. Which is roughly 9.33 a day. That is only a small tiny fraction of what I spent on drugs a day from the streets.

In my opinion we need more of these programs... Everywhere. We need to help these people... I'm one of them. We can put more addicts on bupe and methadone in order to try and stop the needless suffering and pain that comes with withdrawal. Theft and crime comes with opiates and opioids too. In the long run bupe and methadone saves lives, court cost and useless prison time. Addicts do not need jail and prison we need rehab, subs, methadone, counseling and mental help therapy.

If what I stated above about methadone cost is sourcing I do apologise. I thought methadone clinics would be considered harm reduction

Last edited:

i suspect they're doing it to save lives, given the utterly horrifying death toll of the fentalogue epidemic.
if you ask me it's about time all developed nations (especially those in north america hardest hit by the fent epidemic) offered similar services to all users who need it.

it's the state's fault people have turned to selling/buying/using fent/fent analogues/fent adulterated H/pills etc - it's entire;y because of prohibition - and it would be a reasonable gesture on the part of the state to support to support those same people through ORT/recovery whatever.
the cost would be relatively insignificant and it would save thousands of lives and spare thousands of people's families the grief of losing a loved one.
really, our governments should be forced to pay reparations for starting the war on drugs. i these sorts of programs should be rolled out across the world. drug addiction is not a criminal act.

Treezy Z ----->>> Hahaha If I wasn't on methadone already I definitely would too bro

I live really close to SF and I'm always hearing things like this that the city of SF is doing. It sounds like they are always ahead of the rest of the country... This is really awesome.

Last edited: