Bluelight

Thread: Vivitrol Shot bad side effects need advice

1. Collapse Details
    Vivitrol Shot bad side effects need advice 
    Hi, I am new here so hopefully I am posting in the right area.

I got the vivitrol shot a week ago. I know it last roughly 28 days. However I am having negative side effects. Is there anything I can do or just have to suck it up for 3 more weeks? And any advice on how to control chronic pain I have from surgery?s while on this sho since opiates won?t work? Thank you

2. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    When in doubt, it is always best to start a thread here and have a mod move it to the appropriate place.

You'll have to ask your doctor about non-opioid pain management. There are options, though not as effective as an opioid. I don't think there's anything you can do, since you can't very well stop taking a shot like you would a pill. What you certainly should not do, though, is take enough opioids to override the Vivitrol as that can cause a dangerous overdose situation.

3. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Homeless & Anonymous
    Cannabis Discussion
    The Lounge
    1 for the money, 2 for the better green, 3-4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine
    moved to BDD
    don't fuck up the feng shui

4. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    Non-Electronic Music Discussion
    Could you be more specific about the side effect, OP?

But basically, yes, you're going to have to wait for the naltrexone to work its way out of your system in order to resolve most side effects.

In terms of pain management, both paracetamol and diclofenac are used to treat post-op pain for people taking naltrexone. I've never tried them myself, but when I was on vivitrol, this is what my doc said he'd use if I ever got in an accident or similar.

Let me know if you have any other vivitrol/naltrexone questions. I was on it for about 7 months and found it very helpful.

5. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    What kind of cruel SOB doctor would give you a vivitrol shot when you have chronic pain?

6. Collapse Details

Thank you for the advice. The side effects I?m having is feeling down in the dumps.

At day 28 will I be able to go back on my pain meds and get the effect?

7. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    Non-Electronic Music Discussion
    Probably so. It might take a few extra days, but that?s the ballpark.

8. Collapse Details

I have read suboxone can still work by penetrating the vivitrol layer? Would this work to manage my pain since the bup is an opiate I believe?

9. Collapse Details

Okay please help I can?t take the pain anymore and my doc is out of town. Even his personal # I can?t reach on a Sunday. I?m going insane. Gabapentien does nothing to help like he said it would. I have fent patches and oxy access. Will these work at all the fent patches more so? Or am I just so screwed till day 28. I don?t know what to do about the pain. If I go to the ER I don?t think anything will. Come positive of that. Thanks

10. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Homeless & Anonymous
    Dude, I'm not trying to be an asshole but why the heck did you agree to the vivitrol shot if you suffer with chronic pain? Narcotic pain meds are not going to work. Attempting to override the vivitrol with fentanyl can be extremely dangerous so I would not advise doing this. For today, just use your gabapentin and you can also try ibuprofen or naproxen. Talk with your doctor tomorrow and he can discuss other options for managing your pain.

11. Collapse Details

No no not an ass at all. Makes logic now. It was explained to me ass he thought a lot of my pain came from being on these meds for so many years. And that if I got the shot it would shrink the mu receptors and that would handle some of my pain. Was that all BS? How do I explain I don?t want another shot? And anyone know of any good pain management clinics in scottsdale or Phoenix Arizona? I need a new trust worthy doc who can see that 4 hip surgeries at 21 is to young! I?m scared for the rest of my life. I can barely do any activities now at 21 what am I going to do when I have kids in years? I won?t even be able to get on the floor or out of bed to play with them. Sorry for sob story I?m just venting to anyone who will listen to me. Thank you guys

12. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Homeless & Anonymous
    Yeah it sounds like he sold you on something you weren't prepared for. This doctor's line of thinking was likely because of your young age and he didn't want the responsibility of giving you pain meds anymore. Still that's shitty. We can't recommend another one for you but it might be in your best interest to find someone else if you don't want to continue on the shots. See what he says tomorrow and you can get a sense of where he wants to go in the future of your care.