• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Neurotic fear - or neurologiic possibility??

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
My fear is basically - the cause of my initial neurologic dysfunction is, I have absolutely no idea.

Alls I know is I started to socially withdraw and my energy, appetite, sleep etc - all started to deteriorate, and then went to hell altogether.

In terms of amelioration - my primary focus was resolution of the biological symptoms - energy, cognizance, functionality etc.
Cause without that - well, you can't really do anything.

So with a combination of Mianserin and Atomoxetine - I managed to potentiate the noradrenergic effect to the most acute possible level, and in my opinion, achieve rectification of noradrenergic based dysfunction.

It then became apparent to me that - mood was still a prominent complaint - via social withdrawal (I'm normally highly sociable).

So I'm in the process of acquiring approval for a serotonergic agent.

I did start with Effexor - but that interfered with the fine noradrenaline balance I had achieved, so I needed to stop it.

Whilst I await further approval - which seems like it's taking forever (next drug I have lined up is Lexapro), my fear is that - well, here's the situation:

It seemed to me that, my energy complaints were precipitated via social withdrawal.
So I'm basically concerned that - perhaps, relative to the BDNF neurogenesis hypothesis of depression - there may occur some further noradrenergic, degeneration?
Or malfunction in some capacity - relative to the fine noradrenergic balance I've attained - basically, whilst I await serotonergic enhancement.

Is that even possible?

I don't know enough about neuroscience to be able to distinguish whether that's just a neurotic fear, or an actual neurological possibility.

My point being - if I had serotonergic and corresponding mood enhancement occur immediately - it perhaps would precluded implication or exacerbation of biological symptoms relative to noradrenaline - as my hypothesis goes.

To further that - my contention is - if I was treated with SSRI's in the very early days and hadn't undergone such grotesque degrees of social withdrawal - perhaps biological symptoms wouldn't have occurred in such pronounced fashion in the first place??

Possible - or just irrational, from neuroscience standpoint?

Its not all about chemistry. If your not getting the social interaction you need (for everyone its different like for me just answering on here is enough) your mental health will deteriorate.

Worrying about neurotransmitter levels in isolation is not productive thinking, you will miss the forest for the trees in 99% of cases.

JohnBoy2000, I have been pondering on the purpose and outcomes of human interaction and communication for awhile now.

What comes to mind is the fact that if the neuron does not make connection to other neurons it becomes dormant, inactive, as inactivity leads to low levels of neurotrophins which eventually might cause a neuronal death. There is an article too - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK6319/

I see pretty much immediate parallel of this fact to the fact that we, humans, and all life in general must make connections with others in order to survive. It is one of the Life's "requirement" almost, to be able to connect.

I was living in an exile for more than a year and that time had taught me that I never want to be isolated from everyone but I do prefer a quiet lifestyle very close to nature. I remember time when I finally broke through my isolation - I decided to play guitar and sing on the streets of a little town where I live now - I did it just to feel that I am connected to others and because I have never done it before. This had brought up new friendships and made me feel connected.

I also agree with above posters. Even posting here provides a sense of linking to others, I can feel it too.
I think you gotta get out of fixed mental patterns and do things you dont do regularly to mess around with neuroplasticity.
Neuroplasticity is heavily affected by things like exercise and meditation. Doing these two things for just few weeks will yield great results - improved self-confidence, better mood, higher and more sustainable energy level throughout the day, positive outlook on life, sense of being contempt with life.

Personally I highly recommend trying volunteering - animal shelters are best because this way you won't have to immediately jump in contact with people but rather be with animals. Animals never lie, a lot of them open their heart to you with the first look and those at the shelter really long for some interaction, its a very heart opening thing to do. Very satisfying experience! :)

Maybe try Fabomotizole too if you can find it. It "smoothes" me up very nicely, it has some 5HT-1 agonism as well as sigma-1 and melatonin agonism - I like it very much personally ever since I've discovered it.

Wish you and everyone else who suffer from lack of connection the best! Live the life, enjoy each moment! :)

Have you considered psychotherapy aside from antidepressants? Right now I'm just speaking from my own experience, but traumas buried deep inside can make you develop unhealthy habits, my social phobia and withdrawal have stemmed from stuff from my childhood, things that I thought I had accepted and dealt with. These days I don't withdraw myself because I choose to do so, there are days I can feel I crave human contact a lot, but I just don't know the other way, I do develop relationships but there isn't a single one that I could call close enough to call a person a friend, I'm too self-aware around people, this is sad because there are people who know that, accept that and who I am quite close with, I know we could be real friends but I can feel there is some kind of a barrier inside me that makes it hard for me to experience strong emotions together with someone else. This has obviously also affected my relationships with women, none of which turned out good for me and partially my inability to express feelings properly was the reason. For years I was focused on some single events from my teenage years and my drug use, but recently it has come to me it runs much deeper than that and possibly is what made me unable to deal properly with certain problems and triggered turning to drugs. If there is a reason for your social withdrawal, then I believe no drug will fix that if you don't find the problem, face it, and relieve it. I doubt you can fix it all by yourself, after all the problem pertains to contacts with people, a second-hand more objective opinion is priceless.

JohnBoy2000, I have been pondering on the purpose and outcomes of human interaction and communication for awhile now.

What comes to mind is the fact that if the neuron does not make connection to other neurons it becomes dormant, inactive, as inactivity leads to low levels of neurotrophins which eventually might cause a neuronal death. There is an article too - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK6319/

I see pretty much immediate parallel of this fact to the fact that we, humans, and all life in general must make connections with others in order to survive. It is one of the Life's "requirement" almost, to be able to connect.

I was living in an exile for more than a year and that time had taught me that I never want to be isolated from everyone but I do prefer a quiet lifestyle very close to nature. I remember time when I finally broke through my isolation - I decided to play guitar and sing on the streets of a little town where I live now - I did it just to feel that I am connected to others and because I have never done it before. This had brought up new friendships and made me feel connected.

I also agree with above posters. Even posting here provides a sense of linking to others, I can feel it too.
I think you gotta get out of fixed mental patterns and do things you dont do regularly to mess around with neuroplasticity.
Neuroplasticity is heavily affected by things like exercise and meditation. Doing these two things for just few weeks will yield great results - improved self-confidence, better mood, higher and more sustainable energy level throughout the day, positive outlook on life, sense of being contempt with life.

Personally I highly recommend trying volunteering - animal shelters are best because this way you won't have to immediately jump in contact with people but rather be with animals. Animals never lie, a lot of them open their heart to you with the first look and those at the shelter really long for some interaction, its a very heart opening thing to do. Very satisfying experience! :)

Maybe try Fabomotizole too if you can find it. It "smoothes" me up very nicely, it has some 5HT-1 agonism as well as sigma-1 and melatonin agonism - I like it very much personally ever since I've discovered it.

Wish you and everyone else who suffer from lack of connection the best! Live the life, enjoy each moment! :)

I commenced recently sertraline - which was reinstated cognizance and focus - such that I was eventually able to get around reading that paper.

Fascinating.

Stress induced, what is in effect, neural toxicity - actually outlined and specified according to a variety of intraneuronal effectors.

In relation to my own case - the only area I can pinpoint is, symptoms began to arise when I began to withdraw from social affiliations - as a means to effectively, better myself.
I felt some of the limitations of my associated social group were inhibiting my personal progress.

OR - the emergence of symptoms, FORCED my withdrawal from social groups.

Or a combination of both.

I simply haven't been able to answer that question yet.

However - that paper, in perspective of the emerging "neural inflammation" hypothesis of psychiatric aetiology - it certainly gives pause of thought.

The additional perspective that I can give, having been on sertraline for a few days now is - the sociability has returned like clockwork.

Truly remarkable.