• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Gained too much weight, and now I'm stuck, help.

burnergod

Ex-Bluelighter
The story is: I abused every kind of drug/med I could get my hands on, and nothing ever happened to my body I just had some good trips/time but it ended there basically.
Then there was a time where I was really, really depressed and not because of the down of the drugs, just some events that happened including breaking with my gf that leaded to depression. So for the first time, without doing myself the doctor like I always did, I tried to follow a schedule, made by my psychologist. It was Mirtazapine 30mg before sleep and Clonazepam on needing (this one is just because I was already addicted to it so she included it).
I went like this for 5 months straight I believe, and well, I was always hungry (didn't help for depression btw). I ate like mad without thinking, and without noticing that I was gaining weight (I'm not the guy who checks his weight everyday in the bathroom).
Now its passed almost a year, and I still have 30kgs extra on my body, I can't recognize myself, I'm really ashamed of what I've become, and I'm also kinda deformed by the fat. I can't fit anymore in any of my clothes (and I was wearing large size shirts, saggy pants..) and I look like I'm having a baby.
In all this time, I kinda abandoned all party drugs but used occasionally amphetamines, you should say "well that could have helped you in losing weight" but guess what: they lost the effect on me. I even tried to stay awake "meth-like" doing lines of amphetamines one after another but the result was the opposite: fatigue, hunger, need to sleep. I tried starving, or eat the less possible, I apparently lost 3kgs after few days, then I swear to God I'm not kidding you I ate one hamburger and another thing and back to +3kgs.
I always been a skinny guy so I don't understand what's happening, if it is related to aging or what, but I'm ashamed of myself and I can't even exit from home, and both family and friends are making fun of me becoming fat (not in a bully way but still..it hurts.)

TLDR: I gained weight and not even with hard use of amphetamines I can loose all the fat and become what I was used to be. Any help?

At the moment I'm using Wellbutrin 300mg/die which IIRC is similar to amphetamine so it should help loosing weight but it's 2 monts I'm on it and I don't see any results.

EDIT: I also started doing gym since 1 month.

Last edited:
Just a quick thought and I do not know the answer but many of those drugs like Wellbutrin commonly list weight gain as a side effect. It may be that you're fighting a difficult uphill battle. Probably something you might want to check out. Good luck though! Sorry I didn't have a solution for you.

I know almost all meds have as side effects weight gain and even sexual disfunctions, but wellbutrin shouldn't, I read somewhere it has the same structure of the amphetamine and plus its written everywhere, even on the paper inside his box, that is not good for people who suffered from anorexia, so I should be in the right direction apparently. Apparently..

I broke my leg a few months ago and have been struggling with weight gain myself. Here is the only fact we need to know: you have to balance calorie intake with calorie burning. The more you eat, the more exercise you need, period. I know that mirtazapine is famous for making people constantly hungry and I also know wellbutrin is something that some people lose weight on but I think for your health overall it is best to stick to the basics of the calorie-to-exercise equation.

I'm really struggling with the exercise part myself so I don't mean to minimize your situation. I know it can be hard to motivate yourself but it sounds like you are already on the right path with your gym workout.

Okay... I see what you mean, sort of.

Have you tried changing the diet, not by the calorie intake, but by the actual foods you eat? Are they healthy and fulfilling?* A lot of this could be you addicted to the Sugars they add to food these days, because sugar is so damn addicting even if you don't believe it. Try cutting out sugars that aren't natural cane sugars, and limit those, as well as watching the amount of water you intake, that's very important in losing weight.

I'm currently trying to lose eight as well, but that's from years of neglecting my health and not caring about anything and abusing benzos for the last three years. I would recommend asking for more help on the weight loss issues on a forum that is all about losing weight, and building your body up to it's maximum potential.

I'm going to assume you have a Primary Care Physician, if you can, try and see if you can get some blood tests done for your thyroid or any abnormalities in your blood. I'm fairly certain I have hypothyroidism and I'm waiting for the results from my doctor about that, but it is a possibility, you never know.

All the best,
OkayGift.

* Use smaller plates, psychologically it'll make you feel more full if you eat a full plate that's small over a big plate that's not full of food.
I'm no doctor though, just trying to help you out. Please keep us updated. :)

Thanks for the support! I'll stick with the gym so let's see how it goes. By the way I already did blood exams recently and there is no thyroid problem, luckily !

Yeah, eating the correct amount and working out regularly (every day some cardio at least) will get you back to a good weight. It takes longer for some than others, but it will work unless there is another problem (yes it's great that you don't have a thyroid issue, that's awesome. :)).

I still don't see any improvement, despite doing exercises, diet and so on.
Problem is I'm always hungry, like if I was stoned from weed, you know, you have that fake needing of food, is it possible that with the abuse of some meds or drugs I've damaged that part of the brain that decides if I'm hungry or not?
Sound stupid but idk what else to think..

When I started Lexapro I was about 78kg. I then got to 120kg. Kept on trying to burn weight but nothing. Then I switched to Cymbalta and have been able to burn weight easily.

Def sounds like the meds are stuffing your metabolism.

What annoys me it's not the fact that I eat because I have nothing to do, I do it because I really feel the urge to eat, like an addiction, but way worse because no matter how strong I fight it, at the end it always wins, with me eating some shit. Now I'm walking instead of using public transport and I try to exit more from my house. This should really help me, I hope.

Okay yeah, weight gain is a side effect of many psychiatric medications. Quite unfortunate. :( I believe they mess with metabolism directly. Can you talk to your doctor about this?

Hey man, DIET AND EXERCISE!! Trust me! I lost 20lbs because I cut out all processed food and started eating CLEAN FOOD ONLY THAT MEANS NO packaged shit!!! Prep all your meals yourself, i know it is a fucking hassle but you WILL loose the weight!

Run every day. Not far. Just run. As far as you want to. YOU WILLLLLL LOOSE THE WEIGHT BROTHER! STAY STRONG!

EDIT: I still enjoy food too man, you have to change your taste buds dude. TRAIN THEM to like healthy shit! Look up the Mediterranean diet, it is extremely tasty but still healthy. eat HEALTHY FATS and NUTS and FRUITS (fruits for your sugar cravings man)

As already said, I started to do exercises. Some days ago I had a problem in the back of my foot caused by the shoe scratching the skin, so I couldn't exit/walk. I decided to walk back and forth in my house, for 1 hour. I could have done more, I wasn't tired, just my feet a little bit but I'm sure I could do even 2 hours. I also did small runs (20 minutes maybe more) and that really made me sweat like mad.. I'm a bit afraid to do this on the street like "haha look at that fat idiot that wants to loose weight" so idk, maybe I will stick with home walk/run + exercises until I feel confident with my body..

Last edited:
I declined Mirtazapine because of the weight issues. Went 2 weeks straight without more than 2 hrs sleep a night.

Have you considered low carb? That generally eliminates hunger.

I declined Mirtazapine because of the weight issues. Went 2 weeks straight without more than 2 hrs sleep a night.

Have you considered low carb? That generally eliminates hunger.

Yea I think everything started with Mirtazapine combined with Olanzapine..they made me what I am now..I have the body full of red stretch marks it's so embarassing. When I try to put my old jeans which are "baggy" they get blocked at half leg and I can't pull them upper no more than that. 30 kgs gain isn't a joke.

I'm now starting a diet with fruit and other stuff with low carb, hoping it works.

Fruit will mess you up. Too much sugar. There is a very accessible and understandable doc on Youtube named Ken Berry. He makes low carb feasible.

I gained 30 pounds with Lyrica in two months. Only low carb helped.

I hope you get the support and info you need soon.

Yeah mirtazapine is known for causing weight gain. That's a bummer. :\

Fact is I didn't realize I was getting larger, when the last bottom of the pants was hard to close that should have ring(rang?) a bell on my head but I ignored it and now pants get stuck at mid leg, as already said. Not even the last botton can be closed, my thights are huge. And full of stretch marks. This is probably what scares me the most, I don't mind doing exercises and diet, it's these f. marks that I know will be permanent.
I wonder how Christian Bale managed the situation, hes like a shapeshifter I want to know if he is full of stretch marks :V

-Fast daily... lift, stay motivated, music, walk, fasted running if in good enuff shape.
-Lost 70lb at 16. Obese and asthma, vascular, ripped... natural now 12 or so yrs later.
-Rarely ate breakfast/ only eating at nite med-hi fat, hi pro, low carbs (40 and less usually grams. MORE now bc I workout daily nearly, and was near dead last yr (long story)).

--Had abdominoplasty. Great result but dark scarring (darker skin, this happens).
--> Fat to waif to strong but lanky to cut to ripped... to ripped and strong but still lanky looking with a couple weak areas (still stronger than ev1 I see who isn't on roids, or genetically crazy -- like 6'4 6;7, 290lb or something).
-6ft 190, was 6ft 250 at 16, 180 at 18. -I don't mean I LIFT MORE Than ev1 (90+% for sure, at most normal gyms... ELITE gyms, less... ATHLETES/pros? OF COURSE not, of c they outlift me).
-BUT 200 pushups, 80 dips, then 8 other exercises, above bodyweight for shoulders, back, etc...not bad with asthma and being a kid that ppl used to fuck with (til 14 or 16 or so, even 21 but that was pharma, never again). Last yr a bit, bc of pharma... but never again - I made sure of that.

-Also gained weight a bit 5-12 lb during university/ grad, etc.
-AND gained 30lb on effexor at 20ish, and 30 lb after finasteride last yr (7 or so yrs later).
---> all gone.

--> fasted 30 days (5, break, 6, 20). Refeed=critical or death + pain.
--> Only did that bc had severe neuro, endocrine, etc health probs.
--> 1-3 days should be easy enuff for someone with focus, drive, and goals.
--> which means 16 hrs shd be super easy (minus serious health probs, or someone who has a strong genetic metabolism, skinny always, etc).

Last edited: