Open Discussion Since when did bluelight become an "anti-high" forum?

motiv311

Bluelighter
I have been on bluelight over 10 years, it used to be okay to talk about getting high for high sake.... Now all these newbie moderators close any post that isn't Harm Reduction.... we used to be able to discuss both, and we used to be able to talk about getting high as a good thing, not something to shunned as some taboo... What happened?

I you had a I'm High post and it was removed, then it was probably in an inappropriate place. Nothing to do with newbie mods. If you think one of your posts was removed unjustly, maybe message the mod of the forum in question and ask for an explanation.

We have drug culture to talk about getting high and for lighthearted conversations about drugs and the social aspects of drug use.

The other drug discussion forums are (as much as is practicable) for offering advice on how to reduce the harms of using drugs. The only thing that's changed is the willingness of staff to enforce that rule a little more strictly.

I personally encourage mods to move threads into DC if they're appropriate, but some will just close them. PM a mod if a thread is closed that you think should be moved to DC and open to discussion.

As CFC said, you can discuss drug preferences and such in Drug Culture. There is even a thread for people such as myself who like to share what they're currently on and how far they're gone and so on, the "How High Are You?" thread.

However, what is not welcome in DC and BL in general are questions of the "hey man, I wanna get high man, what should I take man?" sort, and "I have X, Y, and Z drugs at my disposal, which one should I take for the bestest high in the world?". That stuff is not what we do here.

Bluelight is not anti-drug or anti-high, it is first and foremost a harm reduction forum. Our primary goal is to help people minimize risks associated with recreational substances. One part of that is not telling what drugs to take (completely different from telling not to take). If one is decided on taking a substance, then we do our best in making sure they do so safely. But our goal isn't to openly enable and teach people how to get high if they have no clue. That is not harm reduction.

Make yourself familiar with Drug Culture, and you'll realize nobody is a square here.

I have been on bluelight over 10 years, it used to be okay to talk about getting high for high sake.... Now all these newbie moderators close any post that isn't Harm Reduction.... we used to be able to discuss both, and we used to be able to talk about getting high as a good thing, not something to shunned as some taboo... What happened?

If you want to discuss your concerns further, you're also encouraged to reach out to any staff. Such as, those with an even earlier join date than you or I.

Otherwise CFC and bd are on the money though. Check out DC. And you're always free to message senior staff with concerns about threads you feel shouldn't have gotten closed. That will probably be better received than posting in STH about it.

Thanks for your understanding.

this is news to me.

for clarity, can you post some links to examples of this happening? bluelight is a massive forum with a vast array of different guidelines and expectations, in terms of content posted there.
you can't talk about "getting high as a good thing" in Sober Living, for instance - but i post shit about how awesome it is to get high all the time :)
we're a harm reduction forum, so i people certainly shouldn't be judged or scolded for getting high or whatever else - but the caveat there is that posts which celebrate getting high a bit too much and slip into dangerous/dubious territory - and that's bad HR too.

i think that ideally, the best kind of content we can encourage and engage in sits neatly between the two.

to be able to discuss this though, and address your concerns, we need to some examples,

if you can find a few threads that demonstrate what you're referring to and report them, we can have a look at it for you.

because we're all volunteers who have lives and jobs and stuff in the real world, we don't offer an intensive training course for our "newbie moderators" - they just have to watch and learn, basically.
if there is something that you think should be done differently, it could be beneficial to the mod(s) in question, and therefore better for everyone.
the conventions about how we deal with this sort of thing aren't necessarily formally laid out - so, constructive criticism and suggestions could be really helpful.
different mods have different preferences for things such as housekeeping - which includes moving, closing or unapproving threads that are posted in the wrong section, or simply don't fit.

if you can send some examples, we will look into it for you and see what we can do to address it. if you want t report any relevant thread with a brief note why you're reporting, or send me some links via PM i'll check it out for you.