Is TRT therapy overall safer than steroids?

I'll say I think questions are great but at some point I think you, or your personality type, may overthink things.

Health questions are definitely good ones but people wouldn't be prescribed TRT for life by doctors every single day if it wasn't pretty safe. Is there some additional risk any time you take any pharmaceutical? Yeah, likely. Although TRT can decrease risks for a lot of health problems compared to low T. Again, something that is routinely prescribed to the mass population is probably not detrimental to health if used within medical range and health markers are monitored.

As far as performance enhancing, I guess someone who is incredibly OCD could chase themselves in circles over that but, at the end of the day, are you an athlete in a professional sport? Are you competing in the Olympics? Are you making a living from your sports performance? If no, then your ultimate question is 'will this possibly improve my quality of life?' Because your sports performance as an enthusiast isn't important (IMO) when compared to overall quality of life. Realistically, who cares if some 38-40yr old down at the local martial arts club is on hormone therapy?

Along that note though, TRT may have some slight performance enhancement effect based on your dose but the goal is to give you optimal natural performance (think you in your 20's) - Not performance of those at the profesional level - because most athletes at that level are using gear.

If you are exhibiting symptoms that are consistent with low T then talk to your doctor. If you have a script then you don't need to worry about travel or anything else.

Exactly what ^ said. Trt is more for your wellbeing and not so much performance. It sounds like you have this idea it's gonna turn you into a god on the mat which is far from reality. There are many professional athletes on trt where the organization permits it who have frequent tests done to check blood values.
A single dose ain't gonna do much. Its good you ask questions, but it already is starting to seem you have your mind made up based on your last post.

Exactly what ^ said. Trt is more for your wellbeing and not so much performance. It sounds like you have this idea it's gonna turn you into a god on the mat which is far from reality. There are many professional athletes on trt where the organization permits it who have frequent tests done to check blood values.
A single dose ain't gonna do much. Its good you ask questions, but it already is starting to seem you have your mind made up based on your last post.

Thanks, well no, I don't have my mind made up, and I don't think it would make me a god on the mat by any means as I know I've gotten the better of guys who were on strong steroids while clean.

I think it would probably make me feel like I was in my 20s, which would be very nice, and I think I'm not ready to commit to TRT therapy for long periods of time or life and that it would take me a long time and a lot of research to decide. I like the idea as a possibility, maybe, someday, but it's not something I could decide yes or no to at the moment, and I was also sure I wouldn't have my mind made up after asking these questions, but I got a couple answers I wanted.

And yeah, I have OCD lol...I take various things for it and it's far better than it used to be but obviously far from gone haha...

I think I got as many answers as could be useful at this time.

Thanks.

Pretty sure you're the first gear "novice" who's actually taking the time to learn and make an educated decision. My hats off to you. Thread will be here if you have any mkre questions.

The only other question I do have is: is there any possible way for anyone to experiment with TRT to see what it feels like and not actually use so much so as to become dependent (not addiction-wise but needing it cause you can no longer produce your own testosterone)?

I'd be interested in just knowing what it felt like, but someone said doing it once wouldn't do anything, so how many injections would one need to get to feel it without at the same time having it permanently alter your hormones and be able to stop before it does?

Thanks

Last edited:
^There is definitely some evidence to show that the degree of use (*to a small extent imo*) plays a roll in that situation. However it is minimal to the point that I wouldn't consider 'trying it to see how it feels' possible without the aforementioned effects

The only other question I do have is: is there any possible way for anyone to experiment with TRT to see what it feels like and not actually use so much so as to become dependent (not addiction-wise but needing it cause you can no longer produce your own testosterone)?

I'd be interested in just knowing what it felt like, but someone said doing it once wouldn't do anything, so how many injections would one need to get to feel it without at the same time having it permanently alter your hormones and be able to stop before it does?

Thanks

Difficult question to answer, your body weight, bf%, dose, ester, injection frequency would all contribute to affects/side effects...

A quick acting ester like propionate would be in and out of your system and pose less risk of side effects (aromatization, HPTA shutdown) etc..

As for dose, its rather dependant upon body size and composition, but probably not much more than 125mg-200mg for a week or so, might give you some indication as to some effects of exogenous testosterone without too much of an issue with side effects... (don't expect growth to be amazing, due to limited time on)...

Man, I just wish there was a doctor I could easily talk about this with without him being judgmental, but i can almost guarantee my GP right now would completely shut me down and say he wouldn't even consider give me a chance to try it.

I mean how do people get prescriptions for it if they are NOT hypogonadal?

I assume tons of guys manage to somehow get prescriptions even if they don't have abnormally low test for their age, so what exactly do they do or say to get doctor's to agree to giving them a chance?

I mean I just wish ALL drugs were legal and we could just go to our doctors and tell them we want to use them and they should have zero say in whether or not we can if we are willing to pay and then they should just advise us on how to best use these substances and be safest with them.

But I'm getting off topic now cause that's a dream world and doctors would never be like that.

So yeah...I'm wondering what you guys who have managed to get test prescriptions who DON'T have a hypogonadal condition or super low test. manage to say/do to convince doctors to give you prescriptions?

Man, I just wish there was a doctor I could easily talk about this with without him being judgmental, but i can almost guarantee my GP right now would completely shut me down and say he wouldn't even consider give me a chance to try it.

I mean how do people get prescriptions for it if they are NOT hypogonadal?

I assume tons of guys manage to somehow get prescriptions even if they don't have abnormally low test for their age, so what exactly do they do or say to get doctor's to agree to giving them a chance?

I mean I just wish ALL drugs were legal and we could just go to our doctors and tell them we want to use them and they should have zero say in whether or not we can if we are willing to pay and then they should just advise us on how to best use these substances and be safest with them.

But I'm getting off topic now cause that's a dream world and doctors would never be like that.

So yeah...I'm wondering what you guys who have managed to get test prescriptions who DON'T have a hypogonadal condition or super low test. manage to say/do to convince doctors to give you prescriptions?

You don't..!!

A doctor won't prescribe hormone therapy, just because, you must present with symptoms of hypogonadism.!!

You don't..!!

A doctor won't prescribe hormone therapy, just because, you must present with symptoms of hypogonadism.!!

Well, I mean, with us being honest here, don't you think there are probably a lot of guys who don't present those symptoms that find some way to get TRT prescribed?

Or do you think that they don't and rather than that, they somehow get their hands on the same kinds of test shots and do it themselves?

I mean money talks, and I'd assume it's possible there are a number of "shady" doctors out there who could be persuaded to help guys who are interested with the right compensation.

Someone else here said they were interested in doing this at age 19 and started then, and somehow to me it didn't sound like it was because of hypogandadism.

Is it really the case that no one ever gets a doctor to prescribe them test shots when they aren't hypogonadal?

Or do they really do it all themselves on their own by finding the right connections?

I guess maybe it really is the latter?

I started at age 18, almost 19, because I was hypogondal and several alternatives had already failed.

Not sure what country you are in but in the US, prescribing guidelines are pretty loose and generally anyone with test levels under 300 can get a script easily, sometimes under 400 although not as much. Is that considered true hypogondal? Some docs would argue it. That said, you could have levels of 350 and most definitely have symptoms and good doctors treat symptoms and it numbers.

With all the hormones and chemicals we are exposed to (which I believe is the biggest cause in the general population, you'd be surprised how many guys have low-ish T

There is the anti aging clinic route or "wellness clinics" as some are called. They won't prescribe too much though. Maybe 300 test and, if you're lucky to find the right one, maybe some deca and anavar and gh. You're paying out the ass for it though. Your numbers will have to be "low" though in case they come under investigation.

I started at age 18, almost 19, because I was hypogondal and several alternatives had already failed.

Not sure what country you are in but in the US, prescribing guidelines are pretty loose and generally anyone with test levels under 300 can get a script easily, sometimes under 400 although not as much. Is that considered true hypogondal? Some docs would argue it. That said, you could have levels of 350 and most definitely have symptoms and good doctors treat symptoms and it numbers.

With all the hormones and chemicals we are exposed to (which I believe is the biggest cause in the general population, you'd be surprised how many guys have low-ish T

Ahh ok.

Yes it was you I was referring to and sorry if I sounded like I was doubting you or anything cause it wasn't like that, I just wasn't sure how you got it prescribed.

So now I see that actually a lot of people do have low enough test to get it prescribed.

And yes, I am in the U.S.