Is TRT therapy overall safer than steroids?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
Disclaimer, I know NOTHING about steroids or PEDs.

I do martial arts, mainly Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, a little boxing, MMA training, etc, and at 38 I've started wondering if I'd ever use TRT but I know so little about it and also very much doubt I could get a solid connection or a doctor who would do it for me, nor do I know if I could afford it, and overall I tend to doubt I'll ever do it and I've always said I'd NEVER touch steroids and I'm sure I won't, but there are a lot of people in the BJJ world and MMA world who do use PEDs, I mean they are rampant in the UFC.

So I've heard, though I don't know if it's true, that proper TRT therapy (I guess proper means just getting your levels to like whatever they were at their peak, like in your early 20s or so and not higher than that?) is FAR safer than usage of various steroids like Deca, Winstrol, Dianabol: 1) but is this even true and if so, then WHY?

2) I mean isn't the main reason steroids improve performance that they increase testosterone?

3) So then why would pure Test be safer?

4) And why do people choose to do other steroids over TRT?

5) Also, if one ever does start to get TRT then is it true you have to continue it for a lifetime or you will get all messed up, and if so, what would happen if one started TRT and then suddenly stopped?

6) How do people manage to get hooked up with a lifetime of TRT?

7) And also, is there a big difference between how safe it is to get the right level of TRT to get your levels to the highest that a man's can NATURALLY be vs rising them to levels higher than what they'd ever been previously in your life NATURALLY?

8 and in the U.S. how expensive is it usually to get TRT (lets say on a monthly basis) and how often do people usually get shots when they get TRT?

I numbered the questions cause I thought they'd be easier to sort through that way.

Thanks

Last edited:
Also, do any of the testosterone supplements that are advertised on TV and over the counter like Testofen or Tribulis actually work or really make you stronger or improve recovery time?

I'm guessing they don't really work and are usually a scam to convince guys who want an edge to just blow all their money on them.

Therapeutic range of testosterone is the healthiest.
No, the shit you see on tv does not work.
They go to a dr, get referred to an endo usually and get a script for test cyp or enanthate usually.
Point #7 all depends how much higher you're going
Point #8 it varies based on dr, insurance, etc.

Therapeutic range of testosterone is the healthiest.
No, the shit you see on tv does not work.
They go to a dr, get referred to an endo usually and get a script for test cyp or enanthate usually.
Point #7 all depends how much higher you're going
Point #8 it varies based on dr, insurance, etc.

So then technically what is the reason that steroids are more dangerous than TRT and why does anyone choose them over TRT?

So then technically what is the reason that steroids are more dangerous than TRT and why does anyone choose them over TRT?

Any exogeneous hormone is a steroid. Birth control is a steroid. So in thks context you mean Anabolic steroid which is testosterone and all its derivatives. If you look through the stickies you'll find what you want in regards to health.
Why we choose them over trt? Trt only gets you so far. 1000mg of testosterone per week will push lean mass a lot higher than 150-250 a week. Plus not all steroids behave the same and have peripheral effects aside from anabolism.

To go off of what serotonin said OP, it's safe essentially because of the dose. Different steroids, just like any other drug class, have different profiles for what type of effects they promote through different mechanisms of action and different side effect profiles for each.

Technically you could use any one of those other steroids in place of testosterone but testosterone is the hormone that makes you feel and function like a male. The goal of hormone replacement therapy is to replace horomones that are not there that should be there - in this case, that would be testosterone.

It isn't necessarily correct that any of those other steroids are more of less 'dangerous' per se, however when you get into using a lot of those drugs then generally they are combined or used at high doses for use in sports. It's *generally* the dose that correlates to the risk because they will eventually over time impact things like cholesterol, blood pressure, heart tissue, etc. I say generally because some drugs do have inherently riskier profiles than others.

Genetics play a roll here as some guys will run absolutely astronomical amounts of stroirds for years on end with few sides and will live long lives without issue. Others will run into real problems much sooner if they are genetically predisposed or don't take steps to limit controllable risks.

Also, do any of the testosterone supplements that are advertised on TV and over the counter like Testofen or Tribulis actually work or really make you stronger or improve recovery time?

I'm guessing they don't really work and are usually a scam to convince guys who want an edge to just blow all their money on them.

No..!!!!

Yeah, I was about 95% sure they didn't.

So basically, therapeutic TRT to get one's levels to whatever they once were at their highest, like for me at 38 lets say, to get them to what they were when I was 20...that's basically pretty safe and doesn't have many health risks associated with it like heart disease, cancer, raised cholesterol or blood pressure, etc??

And is it true that if one starts TRT treatment they have to continue it for the rest of their life or bad things happen like their test levels drop dramatically, like lower than they were before?

Yeah, I was about 95% sure they didn't.

So basically, therapeutic TRT to get one's levels to whatever they once were at their highest, like for me at 38 lets say, to get them to what they were when I was 20...that's basically pretty safe and doesn't have many health risks associated with it like heart disease, cancer, raised cholesterol or blood pressure, etc??

And is it true that if one starts TRT treatment they have to continue it for the rest of their life or bad things happen like their test levels drop dramatically, like lower than they were before?

That is generally correct although the exact levels a Dr wants to see could vary a fair bit (all within normal range). The dose can and should also be adjusted if needed in response to changes in blood work or other health markers although most guys have few issues with TRT.

You are more or less correct on the last part although different people hold somewhat different opinions on that. After using supplemental hormones, changes occur that are unique to the male endocrine system.

Most will agree that you can usually regain levels temporarily depending on your age and some other factors. From what I've seen though, hormone use tends to cause some irreversible damage to testosterone production and even if levels are regained in someone young, they will be much more prone to decline later in life and likely sooner than they would have otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is generally correct although the exact levels a Dr wants to see could vary a fair bit (all within normal range). The dose can and should also be adjusted if needed in response to changes in blood work or other health markers although most guys have few issues with TRT.

You are more or less correct on the last part although different people hold somewhat different opinions on that. After using supplemental hormones, changes occur that are unique to the male endocrine system.

Most will ageee that you can usually regain levels temporarily depending on your age and some other factors. From what I've seen though, hormone use tends to cause some irreversible damage to testosterone production and even if levels are regained in someone young, they will be much more prone to decline later in life and likely sooner than they would have otherwise.

So basically, if I ever hooked myself up with TRT therapy you'd say I'd probably need to continue it for a lifetime to be safe?

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically, if I ever hooked myself up with TRT therapy you'd say I'd probably need to continue it for a lifetime to be safe?

I would say the same thing I tell everyone I help with gear - don't start it without at least being okay with being on the rest of your life whether you actually are or aren't.

The whole reason behind being prescribed TRT is hormone levels are hypogonadal (low).. Therefore expect to be on for life..

Most steroid users don't understand the science behind what they are doing, so can damage sertoli and leydig cells in the testes...

We now understand prevention of that damage ON-CYCLE is possible with supplementation of things like taurine and royal jelly...

The whole reason behind being prescribed TRT is hormone levels are hypogonadal (low).. Therefore expect to be on for life..

Most steroid users don't understand the science behind what they are doing, so can damage sertoli and leydig cells in the testes...

We now understand prevention of that damage ON-CYCLE is possible with supplementation of things like taurine and royal jelly...

So, there IS away to get your nuts working again?
I went on TRT due to age(and a doctor who didn't realize/care what he was doing) and wasn't hypogonadal UNTIL the TRT.
It wasn't genetic hypogonadism is what i mean.
I've been on long enough that I figured I was in forever, but you're saying maybe I'm not?

So basically, is what you are saying that since I'm NOT hypogonadal that taking TRT would make me so and then I'd need to be on it for life so I wouldn't be hypogonadal?? (this is what I've generally come to think...)

If so, sounds like a pretty bad idea to get TRT right?

Or are you saying if I took things like Taurine and royal jelly it would prevent that?

My reason for interest is sports performance and just being stronger and more energetic like I was at age 20 even though I'm not really old at 38, and I've never had my test levels checked even though I'd guess they are probably around average for my age but I can't be sure.

See, since it sounds like there's so much science that is necessary to use PEDs properly that just one reason I probably wouldn't do it, and again, I was never even considering anabolic steroids, only TRT...maybe...

^Without going into the nitty gritty, that's fairly accurate although Genetic Freak may want to go into detail so I'll let him answer.

As far as the taurine and royal jelly preventing some of that possibility, its a possibility extrapolated from animal studies but there aren't any human studies showing that to my knowledge so it could be a bit of a leap. Again, more of genetic freaks area so he can provide more insight.

Either way, it's not something I'd jump into without at least being okay with the possibility of being on TRT for life, not to say that it's 100% certain.

A lot of guys at your age feel that it's worth the trade for quality of life and I felt that it was worth the trade when I was 18, almost 19, personally. That decision took months to make and involved seeing a plethora of doctors along with literal months of daily research for me but 6 years later I'm happy with the decision. All depends on what you're trading ultimately.

^^^^

Yeah, I don't believe I'd do it now, but in 10 years I could feel differently.

I just have to put in more effort than I used to to be in better shape and don't always do it, so yeah, everyone likes a quick fix, but it seems there would just be so much thought that would have to go into to doing it safely I really am not sure I'd ever be willing to, not to mention I don't know the cost or how to get hooked up.

I only felt like asking the questions, but I don't know that I'd ever do it at all.

Hey, that's the first step. A lot of guys never even ask them and then are stuck with consequences years down the road so definitely good due diligence on your end

Hey, that's the first step. A lot of guys never even ask them and then are stuck with consequences years down the road so definitely good due diligence on your end

Yeah, I mean I'd still consider it someday and I love the idea of having increased strength and energy, but it obviously takes a lot of thought going into it and is a serious commitment and not just something you can experiment with once or twice really which makes that decision harder.

Also, I do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournaments (haven't done one in a few years but will again) and I don't like the idea of possibly beating someone on something like that and wondering "how much was it my skills and how much was it the TRT?".

I'd DEFINITELY never touch an anabolic steroid (I don't judge those who do and would love that edge if I could have it safely LOL), but the idea of a not-too-unhealthy edge is always appealing whether I'd choose it or not.

So basically, is what you are saying that 1. since I'm NOT hypogonadal that taking TRT would make me so and then I'd need to be on it for life so I wouldn't be hypogonadal?? (this is what I've generally come to think...)

If so, sounds like a pretty bad idea to get TRT right?

2. Or are you saying if I took things like Taurine and royal jelly it would prevent that?

My reason for interest is sports performance and just being stronger and more energetic like I was at age 20 even though 3. I'm not really old at 38, and I've never had my test levels checked even though I'd guess they are probably around average for my age but I can't be sure.

See, since it sounds like there's so much science that is necessary to use PEDs properly that just one reason I probably wouldn't do it, and again, I was never even considering anabolic steroids, only TRT...maybe...

1. not necessarily, a physiological dose may not affect you over the longer term, if you took the precautions previously discussed...

2. quite possibly..

3. a trt dose might improve quality of life at your age if you are currently presenting with average testosterone levels for your age...

1. not necessarily, a physiological dose may not affect you over the longer term, if you took the precautions previously discussed...

2. quite possibly..

3. a trt dose might improve quality of life at your age if you are currently presenting with average testosterone levels for your age...

I'd guess that the 3rd would be true, hence my interest.

I mean if someone told me I could experiment with a single dose just to see what it feels like and not have to continue using it or face serious health defects I'd probably try it, 1) but is trying a single dose as an experiment something people are often able to hook themselves up with?

Also, 2) what would you say to an athlete (not a great one by any means) of a one-on-one sport who had that concern of "if I used X--PED and won I'd wonder whether it was more my skills or the drug"? (I guess this just comes to personal psychology...)

My instructor is completely all natural and was a good MMA fighter surrounded by steroid users and never believed in going that route, but I'm basically just a Jiu-Jitsu practitioner and tend to doubt at my age I'll ever even have a fight, though it's not impossible.

A lot of athletes who use I know justify it by saying that so many others use it they just assume their opponent will be on something too so it's leveling the playing field but they also could be clean.

I know if I ever REALLY wanted to try this my list of questions would be endless, and that I'd be researching this for months or years on end before coming to a conclusion. I would want to be as certain as possible that I wasn't doing something that would lead to serious long term health problems, and that I'd always have a hook up, like say, 3) if I ever chose to go to another country for a year, I'd imagine that would be a big issue if I had no source but was dependent on it when I went there right?

For now, it's just a curiosity.