• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Music Therapy

freedom rings

Ex-Bluelighter

Just wanted to shine a light on music therapy.

I mean it is all too common to see drugs being prescribed for problems that are caused by drugs.

Not recommending any treatments just want to share a couple music therapy TED talks.

Music therapy was prescribed by Pythagoras for various ailments in mind and body way back when. Now modern science is starting to understand just how powerful of healing music actually can provide for some serious problems in one's mind & body.

Getting a little off-topic in terms of music:

I was once caught in the "system". I didn't start feeling better until I was no longer caught in it. Not criticizing synthetic drugs but to be honest I am not an advocate of Big Pharma however I am for the legalization of psychedelic medicine especially when it comes to plant medicine.

Meditation seems to do enough for me however to no longer seek psychedelic remedies nor music therapy which I have to admit I am grateful for but also need to say psychedelics did more for me in a matter of hours at times than any drug I was prescribed by the pharmaceutical industry did over months and months of ingestion.

Thank you for posting FR. I had a first career as a symphony orchestra musician and a second career as a college music professor. I am not a music therapist, but advised many music therapy students. I've since moved into a third career outside of music but still in the education field and now that I'm no longer under any "pressure" to produce, it's such a wonderful stress-buster to just sit at the piano and read through Mozart and Bach for a few hours. I think it keeps the mind sharp too. I maybe play the oboe one or two times a year as a favor to friends who need me to play a gig in a pinch but there's too many unpleasant memories associated with playing the oboe (musicians are the shittiest people and that probably includes me), though for some reason I can't bring myself to sell them yet.

So my high school band had a brother and sister who shared a saxophone and were able to do that because the music class was split in two different periods. Our first concert of the year came around and there was a dilemma. The music teacher solved it. He said, "Hey Luke, You can finger while Gina blows..." The ultimate in poor choice of words.

So my high school band had a brother and sister who shared a saxophone and were able to do that because the music class was split in two different periods. Our first concert of the year came around and there was a dilemma. The music teacher solved it. He said, "Hey Luke, You can finger while Gina blows..." The ultimate in poor choice of words.

LOL=D Laughter therapy and music therapy together.